St. George's vs USJ

thegood

On December 1 SG and USJ will travel to Cookeville to battle for the DII-A crown. Who will win? What will the score be? I know that USJ put a whoopin' on the Gryphons earlier in the year, but SG's Williams seems to be clicking on all cylinders right now as he rush for right around 350 yards and five touchdowns vs Harding in the semi's. USJ's Mayhall also had five touchdowns vs Webb in the Semi's... It sounds like both teams have their hands full on defense.

Let it all out DII fans, what do you think about this years state championship game?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been to the last meeting between the USJ Bruins and the SGIS Gryphins, the main reason why the game was such a blowout was because SGIS had no answer for USJ's d-line. IF the SGIS coaches can find a way to slow them down, it could be a lot closer of a game. However, I don't think any team in D-II A has the capabilities of slowing down USJ's offense. They just seem unstopable, and if they play like they did against Webb, I don't think it's possible for them to lose.

This is why everyone loves highschool football folks! Though USJ put it on St. Georges earlier this year, with the starting quarterback back , the running back running much better, and the defense making big stops, hopefully this second go at it will be much closer! With that being said how does should St. Georges plan to stop mayhall and that USJ offense. Though #7 and #16 seemed to play double coverage on what seemed to be DCA's number 4 (if im not mistaken), it looked like that did not affect him and he was able to score with no problem!

Unless St. George's coaching staff has a good game plan going into this game it might turn out like the last. If St. Georges is prepared and fired up about the game we might have a great State championship match on our hands!

Just throwing this one out there to the D2 A community.

SGIS was running a completely different offense last time they played USJ. USJ shut it down because they are good #1 and #2 the offense didn't fit the personnel.

The other thing to remember.....USJ ONLY scored 17 points till midway through the 4th quarter.

I talked to their (SG's) DC about it he said he hates to lose but ultimately it didn't matter if it was by 17 or 31. The only way they could catch up was to start blitzing and running man to try and get the ball back!

So, needless to say, SGIS did a fair job against them till they changed their game plan, and SGIS's offense is back to where it needed to be. The x-factors.....Mayhall vs. Williams. Should be fun.

Edited by lovedafirewater

SG has seemed to have settled down a little and is back to playing good football. I think the game next week will be closer than everyone thinks. (I think all the kids at USJ are already getting sized for their rings.) USJ is having a special year, 40 and 15 are freakin' studs! However, SG is coming together at the right time. Its like John Calapari used to say, "It ain't how you play before the tournament starts, it's how you play when you get there that counts." I agree with "lovedafirewater", its gonna be Williams vs. Mayhall on Dec 1. Which ever one of those kids shows up with there game face on that day will more than likely come out on top.

NINE DAYS CAN'T GET HERE FAST ENOUGH!

SG has seemed to have settled down a little and is back to playing good football. I think the game next week will be closer than everyone thinks. (I think all the kids at USJ are already getting sized for their rings.) USJ is having a special year, 40 and 15 are freakin' studs! However, SG is coming together at the right time. Its like John Calapari used to say, "It ain't how you play before the tournament starts, it's how you play when you get there that counts." I agree with "lovedafirewater", its gonna be Williams vs. Mayhall on Dec 1. Which ever one of those kids shows up with there game face on that day will more than likely come out on top.

NINE DAYS CAN'T GET HERE FAST ENOUGH!

If you think for one second that anyone in the USJ camp is overlooking this game, you are sadly mistaken. The win over Knoxville Webb was huge, but it was only a step to the state championship game. The regular season game with St George was a lot closer than the final score indicates. With 3 or 4 State Runner-Up Plaques in the trophy case, I guarantee you Marley and crew know that the final game is what matters, and there is not one kid that will be worried about the size of their rings until Dec 2nd.

I do agree with you about the 9 days can't get here fast enough.

" I agree with "lovedafirewater", its gonna be Williams vs. Mayhall on Dec 1. Which ever one of those kids shows up with there game face on that day will more than likely come out on top."

I disagree. its gonna be senior leadership that controls this game. USJ has about 20 seniors that have played together since birth. They keep the team grounded at the right time and fired up at the right time. Not one player or coach is overconfident because of this dedicated group of seniors, whether they are starters, subs , role players or studs. Its a special group of very determined kids with the very humble #40 as the unspoken leader.

this post is not meant to be negative about SG because I do not know about their classes and the makeup of the players.

I just think that a lot of State championships are won with senior leadership when the teams are fairly evenly matched.

Edited by warhawk

On December 1 SG and USJ will travel to Cookeville to battle for the DII-A crown. Who will win? What will the score be? I know that USJ put a whoopin' on the Gryphons earlier in the year, but SG's Williams seems to be clicking on all cylinders right now as he rush for right around 350 yards and five touchdowns vs Harding in the semi's. USJ's Mayhall also had five touchdowns vs Webb in the Semi's... It sounds like both teams have their hands full on defense.

Let it all out DII fans, what do you think about this years state championship game?

Good luck to USJ i hope you win it all!! :thumb: