Expected Impact of BBCOR Bats on HS Baseball

sportsnutdad

I don't think that can be regulated which is sad. There are companies you can find on the internet who will make the inner walls thinner to make bats more responsive already. I have witnessed a college game where a team was thought to have done this and the results were noticeable. The answer is to go back to wood and have an X-ray machine on site to check for corked bats. I have done some research and am woking on perfecting that ala Norm Cash in 1961.

I doubt there's a way to fully regulate this, but hopefully TSSAA is educating the umpires and officials before the season begins. If they look over the bats, they can at least identify some bats looking suspicious. What are the rules if an illegal bat is found, either before, during, and after the game?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bat responsibility now falls on the coaches of the teams.

Last year, the umpires had to inspect bats. This was a bad idea from the start. Umpires should not be entering the teams dugouts to inspect bats. Umpires have no place in teams dugouts, period.

A batter using an illegal bat is called out. The bat is thrown out by the umpire. Anyone else using the excluded bat is ejected.

I doubt you will ever see schools with on site xray machines.

Wood is the answer.

Last year, the umpires had to inspect bats. This was a bad idea from the start. Umpires should not be entering the teams dugouts to inspect bats. Umpires have no place in teams dugouts, period.

A batter using an illegal bat is called out. The bat is thrown out by the umpire. Anyone else using the excluded bat is ejected.

Wood is the answer.

Very hard to identify a "modified" bat by looking at it in the batters box. You have to pick it up and inspect it. Last year bats were laid out in front of the dugout and inspected. I liked that and saw nothing wrong with it at all as it was a clear message to not try and use an illegal bat. That is what ensures people remain honest and on a level playing field. Does it effect those being honest anyway - of coures not but it does make those that would consider using a "modified" bat think twice. Kind of like saying we will not have police out but if you speed then send in your money and pay the fine. If you follwo the rules then who cares who looks at your bats and for how long - if you don't then you never want anyone looking at your equipment. IMHO

Wood is the answer.

One other note - I believe there should be a stiffer penalty when a bat is found illegal. If it is proven to be an illegal bat then a simple out is not enough. This will cause some controversy I am sure but if the coach is responsible and an illegal bat is used during a game then the coach should be ejected from the game in addition to the out. You can't try to clean things up yet have a slap on the wrist for getting caught because the advantage of using "modified" bats may be to big for some teams and worth the risk. Another reason why the pre-game inspection make sense because the bat is thrown out and game is played fair.

Wood is the answer.

X-ray reference was to Norm Cash. I must be so much older than most users to know about his use of corked bats. The comment was in jest.

Very hard to identify a "modified" bat by looking at it in the batters box. You have to pick it up and inspect it. Last year bats were laid out in front of the dugout and inspected. I liked that and saw nothing wrong with it at all as it was a clear message to not try and use an illegal bat. That is what ensures people remain honest and on a level playing field. Does it effect those being honest anyway - of coures not but it does make those that would consider using a "modified" bat think twice. Kind of like saying we will not have police out but if you speed then send in your money and pay the fine. If you follwo the rules then who cares who looks at your bats and for how long - if you don't then you never want anyone looking at your equipment. IMHO

Well, I couldn't identify a modified bat when I put my hands on them. All I did was remember the manufacturers and the bat names that were illegal.

The bats in front of the dugout thing doesn't work either. You only get to see the bats they want you to see.

It's where it should have been all along, on the coaches.

Edited by catsbackr

Let's assume that everyone uses BBCOR bats and get back on topic.I've no idea how much the ball "jumps" off the bat compared to wood or these kids dads' old aluminum models, but if it(BBCOR bat rule) enhances the thinking portion of baseball how can it hurt the game?The souped-up bats of three or four years ago made the game exciting(who doesn't love a long homer?),but lessened the importance of teaching kids to play fundamentially sound baseball in the manner that the oldtimers call "the right way".I hope that the bats aren't softened-up enough to pentalize a hitter who outthinks the pitcher and catches one on the sweet-spot but hit and run,advancing runners small-ball offense is a thing of beauty when executed properly,and is sort of a lost art.Society and the media infleuence on "dramatics" have tilted all sports away from fundamental aspects...in basketball its the dunk,or the three ball,football has the "bomb" and baseballs' homer will get you on the highlight reel on sportscenter,but sound technique will usually win out.Saftey first is TSSAA's catchphrase for toning down the bats,but pure baseball is the winner in my opinion.

Edited by tradertwo

Good hitter will now be average. ( under .250 to 300) Average hitters will be weak. ( .200 at best) Pitchers will dominate and expect a lot of low scoring games. Colleges will have to change the way they scout hitters. Big power hitters will be replaced by small speed guys. The BBCOR bat has no pop. It appears they made too big of a change in the bats.