Region 1 Basketball Officiating

Vikefan33

What is going with the Region 1 officiating? I have watched several games this year, and they are terrible. Lots of new guys that don't need to be in varsity games (would have a hard time officiating middle school games). Has all the older and better officials retired or quit. I thought VA. officiating was bad, but times has changed and they are better than TN.

What is going with the Region 1 officiating? I have watched several games this year, and they are terrible. Lots of new guys that don't need to be in varsity games (would have a hard time officiating middle school games). Has all the older and better officials retired or quit. I thought VA. officiating was bad, but times has changed and they are better than TN.

There are still a few that can keep up but overall I agree. It has definatly gotten worse the last few years. I think they get caught up in watching the games instead of their area of responsibility. That is one reason I would have a hard time officiating a game. Too much of a fan myself. Have also noticed a few,I said a FEW (that I will not name on here) that are obviously plain old biased. Shame on you if you are.(and you know who you are)

• Upvote 1

As a fan, I am seldom impressed with the officiating. And I agree, so far the games I have seen this year have been terribly officiated as a rule. To be fair, I don't typically even consider calls on close or bang-bang plays into the mix when judging the officials (even if I disagree with the call) because those are tough for even the good ones. However, lack of attention in detecting the most blatant violations is inexcusable, especially when it is repeated time and time again throughout a game. There are some officials that do a good job and I applaud them. However, those that continue to do a poor job need to be held accountable. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect effort and competence. That brings in another element and that is the supervisors. There is seemingly no accountability at any level. And frankly, the Region 1 supervisors are a joke (one in particular)! The way I see it, we have about four categories of officials. These are: 1) Experienced officials that have largely moved on to the collegiate game but still call some at the high school level. The main issue I find with these is that they act uninterested and as if high school is not that important and somehow beneath them. So not surprisingly they don't do as good of job as they are capable of. This group seems to be getting bigger every year. 2) Experienced officials that mainly call varsity high school games and for the most part do a good job. This group is small and dwindling. 3) Young up and comers who mainly call middle school and high school JV games and sometimes varsity level games in 1A. I have seen a few with promise but I don't see that many. I wonder if any emphasis is still being placed on doing summer officiating camps. The evidence is not apparent to me. This group is pretty small and 4) (I saved the best for last...LOL) A group I have deemed the "Geriatric Goofballs." These are the guys that are over 65 and have been trying to officiate for 40-50 years and won't give it up. There comes a time when one's abilities diminish to the point where we can't do what we used to do. This is a fact of nature! It happens to us all. Apparently some folks refuse to acknowledge this. What's most disturbing is the fact the majority of these folks weren't good officials in their prime. Regardless, they are legends in their own mind. I watched two middle school games last week and I'd estimate the age of the youngest official at 65-67. The older guy had to be 75 and couldn't or wouldn't get up and down the floor. I joked to the guy next to me in the stands that his work pass from the local nursing home was likely nearing expiration. I'm sure most in this category feel like they are providing a community service, but I view this differently. I believe those that have diminished capacities are doing themselves a disservice first and also doing the coaches and players who work very hard in practice a disservice. I say this because although I don't think it happens too often, I do believe poor officiating can (and sometimes does) alter the outcome of a game. Most of the time it evens out over the course of a game, but not always. I just think that if the motivation is to somehow provide a community service, these folks could focus their energy elsewhere and be more productive (by maybe volunteering at the Senior Citizens Center, Meals on Wheels, etc.) Oh, and for those of you tempted to respond and say, "If you can do better, why don't you try it?" That's a cop out. I don't know whether I could do better or not, but regardless I'm not interested and I didn't take the job! If I chose to do it I would expect to be held accountable just like I am at my job in my chosen profession. My two cents...peace out. ;)

Come to District 14A and you's probably think different.We have a couple that is going to call a charge every time contact is made no matter the situation.Bet I can put the initials on here and half the District 14a fans will know who it is ,without naming him.J.A.We have some as worse as it gets.And people are going to say,Why don;t we come and officiate?

As a fan, I am seldom impressed with the officiating. And I agree, so far the games I have seen this year have been terribly officiated as a rule. To be fair, I don't typically even consider calls on close or bang-bang plays into the mix when judging the officials (even if I disagree with the call) because those are tough for even the good ones. However, lack of attention in detecting the most blatant violations is inexcusable, especially when it is repeated time and time again throughout a game. There are some officials that do a good job and I applaud them. However, those that continue to do a poor job need to be held accountable. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect effort and competence. That brings in another element and that is the supervisors. There is seemingly no accountability at any level. And frankly, the Region 1 supervisors are a joke (one in particular)! The way I see it, we have about four categories of officials. These are: 1) Experienced officials that have largely moved on to the collegiate game but still call some at the high school level. The main issue I find with these is that they act uninterested and as if high school is not that important and somehow beneath them. So not surprisingly they don't do as good of job as they are capable of. This group seems to be getting bigger every year. 2) Experienced officials that mainly call varsity high school games and for the most part do a good job. This group is small and dwindling. 3) Young up and comers who mainly call middle school and high school JV games and sometimes varsity level games in 1A. I have seen a few with promise but I don't see that many. I wonder if any emphasis is still being placed on doing summer officiating camps. The evidence is not apparent to me. This group is pretty small and 4) (I saved the best for last...LOL) A group I have deemed the "Geriatric Goofballs." These are the guys that are over 65 and have been trying to officiate for 40-50 years and won't give it up. There comes a time when one's abilities diminish to the point where we can't do what we used to do. This is a fact of nature! It happens to us all. Apparently some folks refuse to acknowledge this. What's most disturbing is the fact the majority of these folks weren't good officials in their prime. Regardless, they are legends in their own mind. I watched two middle school games last week and I'd estimate the age of the youngest official at 65-67. The older guy had to be 75 and couldn't or wouldn't get up and down the floor. I joked to the guy next to me in the stands that his work pass from the local nursing home was likely nearing expiration. I'm sure most in this category feel like they are providing a community service, but I view this differently. I believe those that have diminished capacities are doing themselves a disservice first and also doing the coaches and players who work very hard in practice a disservice. I say this because although I don't think it happens too often, I do believe poor officiating can (and sometimes does) alter the outcome of a game. Most of the time it evens out over the course of a game, but not always. I just think that if the motivation is to somehow provide a community service, these folks could focus their energy elsewhere and be more productive (by maybe volunteering at the Senior Citizens Center, Meals on Wheels, etc.) Oh, and for those of you tempted to respond and say, "If you can do better, why don't you try it?" That's a cop out. I don't know whether I could do better or not, but regardless I'm not interested and I didn't take the job! If I chose to do it I would expect to be held accountable just like I am at my job in my chosen profession. My two cents...peace out. ;)

This is exactly right!! There is no accountability whatsoever. They can miss call after call with their supervisor watching, and you will see them the next night in a big game. I think some of them think I paid my $5 just to see them. I know of officials that wear glasses always except when they are on the floor. They are encouraged not to wear them. I know for a fact these guys cannot wear contact lens. So what kind of game can you expect from them?

come to region 3 it's worse. :ph34r:

Now that I have thought about it, you are probably right in that R3 is worse than R1. We typically get R3 officials calling our regional and substate games up here. There is one guy that I've seen for several years that does a really good job. The rest have been pretty bad. One older gentleman that appears to dye his hair and mustache (I've been told he does the scheduling down there) is particularly bad!

Smokey Mountain Association is definately the worst association in the state and I go to alot of games. Followed very closely by the Knox/Ridge and Knox/South Associations. It is the worst I have ever seen. there lazy, Fat, incompitent, and worst of all arrogant. Like they are too good for HS BBall. And your right, I have already seen 3 games this year where the officials have determined the outcome of the games. I know there are alot of calls and to say they determined the outcome is overstating it a bit, but NO!, they literally determined the outcomes. Too bad for the kids too. Way too many t's being called too!! I mean they miss a call, the fans yell, the players yell, the coaches yell and they cant take it that they blew the calls and they T somebody up! Geez, Its bad, and its the Tssaa fault. They dont go out and watch these BOZOS and see what kind of job their doing, no acountability at all, dont have to answer to anyone, its sad.