Region 1 Basketball Officiating

Vikefan33

Most the officials in the Arbys classic are college referees, and I have been up there 2 days and can say this-they are doing a good job.

I have also watched some of the ladies classic, which is officiated by a diff association, and the refs there have been less than impressive.

Some good, some bad...but at least from what I have seen they are consistent...

Ballguru, There in lies the problem. You saud some of the refs at the classic were college refs? Most of them that make it to the small time NAIA DII think it is beneath them to do high scholl games and thus dont take the games as important as a small time college game. I am a former referee and when I go to games I watch the refs alot, sometimes missing part of the game. I too have done this high school-college thing and I will tell you its hard to do both in the same season. There are differrnt rules and totally different mechanics. It makes me sick to see the sloppy, lazy mechanics of these HS refs. They are also very short with coaches and fans. Almost like they say to themselves" Hey coach I do college ball. I aint gonna have you question me" Same with Fans. Very unprofessional!

Most the officials in the Arbys classic are college referees, and I have been up there 2 days and can say this-they are doing a good job.

I have also watched some of the ladies classic, which is officiated by a diff association, and the refs there have been less than impressive.

Some good, some bad...but at least from what I have seen they are consistent...

You sound like a ref to Me.

Saw a game earlier this week, girls, and I wasn't for either as our teams were playing later. 17 seconds left, 1 point lead. Leading team inbounds from their own end, trailing team fouls on purpose to try and stop the clock and put them at the foul line. Unfortunatly for the leading team, the refs don't call a foul despite them hacking pretty hard. Third uncalled foul results in a turnover as the ball goes out of bounds.

Naturally the coach of the team with the lead is livid. After a lengthy discussion, instead of going by their own non-call and giving the ball to the trailing team after the turnover, the refs reset the clock to 17 seconds and let the leading team inbound again from their own end, as if all of that never happened. The game went on to overtime.

Never have seen a 10 second sequence just wiped out like that unless the clock didn't start, a kid ran on the court, etc.

Ballguru, There in lies the problem. You saud some of the refs at the classic were college refs? Most of them that make it to the small time NAIA DII think it is beneath them to do high scholl games and thus dont take the games as important as a small time college game. I am a former referee and when I go to games I watch the refs alot, sometimes missing part of the game. I too have done this high school-college thing and I will tell you its hard to do both in the same season. There are differrnt rules and totally different mechanics. It makes me sick to see the sloppy, lazy mechanics of these HS refs. They are also very short with coaches and fans. Almost like they say to themselves" Hey coach I do college ball. I aint gonna have you question me" Same with Fans. Very unprofessional!

First let me say, I got to the Arby's two nights and I thought overall the officiating was good during the games I saw with one exception. I wasn't impressed with the Christ School/CPA semi-final crew - way too many mistakes for a game of this magnitude.

Secondly, I think you have put your finger on a very good point with respect to officials that call both high school and college in the same season. The games are different and it shows. I can name numerous officials that were consistently the best year after year in high school until they decided to jump to college. When they try to do both, or just come back to high school, they aren't the same (and it's not for the better). I think it's partially due to the differences in the game, but mostly due to an attitude of arrogance as you mention. This could be addressed if the supervisors had the guts and competence to do something about it. I've heard many a story of how Ralph Stout routinely "called out" senior officials for poor performance when it was mainly due to a lackadaisical approach. I don't think the current R1 supervisors have either the guts or competence to do something about it. Rather it's become a popularity contest for those who suck up the most to the supervisors get the best marks and assignments. And by competence, I mean how can one expect a supervisor to call an official for poor performance now when the supervisor himself was a totally inept official during his own tenure? My two cents...

Edited by etownsparky

First let me say, I got to the Arby's two nights and I thought overall the officiating was good during the games I saw with one exception. I wasn't impressed with the Christ School/CPA semi-final crew - way too many mistakes for a game of this magnitude.

Secondly, I think you have put your finger on a very good point with respect to officials that call both high school and college in the same season. The games are different and it shows. I can name numerous officials that were consistently the best year after year in high school until they decided to jump to college. When they try to do both, or just come back to high school, they aren't the same (and it's not for the better). I think it's partially due to the differences in the game, but mostly due to an attitude of arrogance as you mention. This could be addressed if the supervisors had the guts and competence to do something about it. I've heard many a story of how Ralph Stout routinely "called out" senior officials for poor performance when it was mainly due to a lackadaisical approach. I don't think the current R1 supervisors have either the guts or competence to do something about it. Rather it's become a popularity contest for those who suck up the most to the supervisors get the best marks and assignments. And by competence, I mean how can one expect a supervisor to call an official for poor performance now when the supervisor himself was a totally inept official during his own tenure? My two cents...

Just curious, which supervisor are you talking about? Because Ralph Stout was a great referee...one who worked the major div 1 college ball...

Edited by Thebballguru

And helped to write the modern day rule book I might add

Actually, I'm referring to Cradic and McConnell who I believe are the current D1 supervisors (unless I'm mistaken). Particularly, I believe Cradic to be a complete oaf! To be honest, I bet he has trouble actually spelling basketball let alone evaluating a game. He may have been better in football or baseball, but he was a terrible basketball official. From my experience, McConnell wasn't much better. I know both are in the TSSAA HOF, but that has more to do with politics and longevity than performance. On the contrary, I'm a big Ralph Stout fan. I believe he brought both integrity and accountability to the job. Yes, I believe Ralph officiated in the OVC, SC, and SEC. I believe he may have been a supervisor in the OVC for a while too. I agree he was a very good official, but in the end he came back and called some games in high school after his college officiating career. Like some of the current officials, he wasn't quite as good at the end as he was previously. Regardless, in my opinion there is little accountability now under the current leadership (if you can call it that). And just in case some think I'm a disgruntled former or current official that has an ax to grind; I'm not, never have been and will never be. I'm just a former player, father of a former player and general high school basketball fan.

Edited by etownsparky

Well I dont know really these guys personally,But have definately heard of them. But I have officiated for 25 years and what your saying is exactley what region 2 sounds like. These guys have ruined our associations over here. They have moved so many young officials up so early that the game has suffered because of their lack of experience and professionalism. This really is an important part of the game. I am embarrassed to go out with a couple of these young guys because they are going to call at least 3-4 tees a night or have a fan removed for pointing out their incompitance. And then the supers never point out their shortcomings like they used too. We should not be out there determining the outcomes of these games, PERIOD!! When you tee a coach up for asking you something or for throwing his hands in the air you have in a way determined the outcome for that coach. I have personally recieved emails from these young guns telling us to go to a certian website like youtube or something to see a tee theve caleed on a player or coach. Thats disgusting!! Although we are an important part of the game at the end of the night if the fans, players, and coaches go home and dont remember us, then thats when we did a good job. 25 years and ive yet to call the perfect game!!! They need to up the 2 game pay and get some good professionals in there, we owe these kids that much!! If we up the pay we would have so many doing both college and high school because a guy wouldnt go to Wise Va. for 140.00 when he could stay near home for 110.00 or so.

Edited by CarolinaCrazy

Well I dont know really these guys personally,But have definately heard of them. But I have officiated for 25 years and what your saying is exactley what region 2 sounds like. These guys have ruined our associations over here. They have moved so many young officials up so early that the game has suffered because of their lack of experience and professionalism. This really is an important part of the game. I am embarrassed to go out with a couple of these young guys because they are going to call at least 3-4 tees a night or have a fan removed for pointing out their incompitance. And then the supers never point out their shortcomings like they used too. We should not be out there determining the outcomes of these games, PERIOD!! When you tee a coach up for asking you something or for throwing his hands in the air you have in a way determined the outcome for that coach. I have personally recieved emails from these young guns telling us to go to a certian website like youtube or something to see a tee theve caleed on a player or coach. Thats disgusting!! Although we are an important part of the game at the end of the night if the fans, players, and coaches go home and dont remember us, then thats when we did a good job. 25 years and ive yet to call the perfect game!!! They need to up the 2 game pay and get some good professionals in there, we owe these kids that much!! If we up the pay we would have so many doing both college and high school because a guy wouldnt go to Wise Va. for 140.00 when he could stay near home for 110.00 or so.

I am quite curious as to which officials are calling 3-4 Ts a night...or telling others to go to YouTube and watch them stick a coach...

Please, elaborate more Carolina