Clarksville Head Coaching search

cubs1

From what I understand Clarksville doesn't have much of a feeder program. None of the middle schools offer football so the kids are playing jr pro. Often, in other programs the kids are on an actual middle school team learning a system. Also from what I've heard Clarksville schools are very demanding on employees. With the 6 public high schools in Clarksville there is no reason at least one of them isn't a dominant team in their class.

I don't know about Clarksville, but I think it hurts us here in Knoxville from not having a true middle school football team. Our kids play in the community park and some kids go to Central, Gibbs, Powell private school or to Halls. I think most of the schools here get there middle school coach's to run some of the same things the high schools do.

I don't know about Clarksville, but I think it hurts us here in Knoxville from not having a true middle school football team. Our kids play in the community park and some kids go to Central, Gibbs, Powell private school or to Halls. I think most of the schools here get there middle school coach's to run some of the same things the high schools do.

I think this is a little overrated - there are plenty of schools that have multiple schools feeding them. You get kids as freshmen - its not like you are relying on them to contribute immediately anyway - probably the same level of coaching between pop Warner and middle anyway.

I know Coach Myers and Coach Southerland here at Springfield live in the Clarksville community. Why have these men not been given an opportunity to coach in that county seeing what they have done here at Springfield? I hope that we don't loose either of these men, but does anyone think one or both will interview for one of these positions? I hope not, because we look to have a special year with all our players returning next year. However, living in that community you would think they would be looked at for these schools.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Coach Myers and Coach Southerland here at Springfield live in the Clarksville community. Why have these men not been given an opportunity to coach in that county seeing what they have done here at Springfield? I hope that we don't loose either of these men, but does anyone think one or both will interview for one of these positions? I hope not, because we look to have a special year with all our players returning next year. However, living in that community you would think they would be looked at for these schools.

I could see Sutherland going if offered a head coaching job but from what I have been told, most established coaches dont want to take jobs in the Montgomery school system b/c they just dont seem to put enough emphasis on athletics. For this same reason I believe Coach Hood will remain at Clarksville Academy and elect not to take 1 of the available openings......

• Upvote 1

I do believe Southerland will reach out to 2 of these programs. Kenwood seems to be his first choice, and Montgomery Central being his second. Knowing Chris, you would see how much he has grown up these last 4 years since being at Northeast. Plus I personally believe he would do a decent job at either. Close to his home, and where he was raised. Hope the county gives his a fair shot in the interviews. By being under Coach Patterson, Coach Hood, Coach Myers, and Coach Lovelace he has learned plenty to help build a good foundation at any school. Good Luck Cheeky!

I do believe Southerland will reach out to 2 of these programs. Kenwood seems to be his first choice, and Montgomery Central being his second. Knowing Chris, you would see how much he has grown up these last 4 years since being at Northeast. Plus I personally believe he would do a decent job at either. Close to his home, and where he was raised. Hope the county gives his a fair shot in the interviews. By being under Coach Patterson, Coach Hood, Coach Myers, and Coach Lovelace he has learned plenty to help build a good foundation at any school. Good Luck Cheeky!

Southerland could bring a wide open offense to Kenwood with a tough defense, but his special teams will make other teams do extra work each week. Seems he always has good special teams during a game.

Southerland could bring a wide open offense to Kenwood with a tough defense, but his special teams will make other teams do extra work each week. Seems he always has good special teams during a game.

I would like to see Chris stay with us; but, my motives are purely selfish. I feel that he is a positive influence on our young men. It is not fair to hold back a young coach like Chris. If offered one of the jobs I can't see a harder working coach in Mont County than Chris would be

• Upvote 1

I totally agree that Coach Southerland would be a good addition to any staff, and I do wish him the best. I have stopped by his elementary school several times in the past few years to talk football, and each time he takes time out of his day to enjoy conversation. Plus he makes it a point to stop and talk to me and my family after every home game. Don't really understand why he has never been a head coach before, but if Clarksville does not want him we will surly be happy to keep him on our staff. From what I have seen he is good with the athletes, coaches, fans, and seems to always be working on the sidelines on game night. Good luck Coach Southerland if you choose to apply for any of these positions.

Sitting at Larry's eating yesterday us old folk were discussing the coaching in Clarksville. First question we could not answer was: Why do they lose so many coaches every year? Another question we could not answer: How could they let go of coaches like Myers and Southerland? You would think that a county of that size would retain good coaches, but from what a few of us have discovered is they lose good men that find success in other counties. Plus we heard that Coach John Offutt is considering moving on. How crazy is it that Montgomery County has 3 current openings, and may have 1 more in the near future. Seems to me that Montgomery County is a quick stop for many coaches, or that County does not like good men to run their programs.

We also discovered that Coach Southerland has shown interest in the Kenwood position. All the guys at Larry support you Coach Southerland, and if you receive the position understand that we will cheer for you all but one game a year. The one that Springfield wins! If you read this post Me and Robertson plan to stop by and chat with you soon. If Coach is interested and Montgomery County passes him up it is their loss. From what I have seen these past 3 years is a nice man that loves the community and seems to always give 100% to the program without a negative word even when we face a tough loss. Coach Southerland seems to always find a positive in every situation. If he leaves he will be greatly missed, but the Larry's crew will be happy to see him find his opportunity to build a tradition at Kenwood.

Edited by OldJacketFan