Tri-County Seven

coachh17

I watched a lot of basketball over the break. We have a shake-up in the rankings. I have to rank them based on the most recent head-to-head results, though that does not reflect exactly where I think they will be at season's end.

1. Cloudland A (14-3)- Finished 3-1 at Boone. Beat Unicoi by 6 and lost by 8 to Morristown West. Have 4 losable road games left, but could easily run the table. I think Wilson is the key player on this team. Rhodes will draw lots of double teams, giving Wilson one on one post matchups. Clarke was streaky at Boone, but hit some big freethrows to seal the Unicoi win. Hughes and Miller have their moments. Depth could be an issue at the state level.

2. Elizabethton AA (11-6)- Went 3-1 at Boone. Struggled early in all four games, but were great in second half. Beat Boone, South, and overcame a 16 point deficit to beat Unicoi. Pushed West to overtime before losing by 2. Five of six losses are by a combined 11 points. Have Hampton, South Greene, and Unicoi left, but will be favored to win nearly all the rest of their games. When this team plays, they are as good as anyone. Have to put 4 quarters together.

3. Hampton A (9-6)- Went 2-2 at Boone, but beat Unicoi by 2 to earn this spot. Still a work in progress, but could be very good by tournament time. Guards are solid. Development of posts is still the key for the Lady Dogs.

4. Unicoi County AA (12-5)- Lady Devils had a rough tournament at the hands of their Carter County neighbors. They lost to Cloudland, Hampton, and Elizabethton in close heartbreaking games. They are not on cruise control, as many predicted they would be this season. Edwards is very good and produces consistently. The other four starters are streaky at the moment. Depth continues to be an area under development. Should regain confidence against Unaka and Happy Valley this week. Plenty of tough games remaining with top three. I think they will recover and be a postseason force, but they will have to regroup and refocus.

5. Unaka A (10-7)- Went 2-2 at Boone. AAA South and Morristown West got them pretty good, but they did beat the two teams they should have. Defense and rebounding are the challenge for a scrappy, but very small and thin, group of Lady Rangers.

6. Happy Valley AA (7-7)- Took a break after the Elizabethton Tournament. This team is trying to establish an identity. Will not be easy this week against Hampton and a hungry Unicoi County.

7. Johnson County AA (3-11)- Beat University High! Also lost a heartbreaker to Crockett at the buzzer. They really do play hard. Brown is improving at point and I like the effort and athleticism of their posts. Things are improving and they could beat North Friday.

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Unicoi had a tough holiday stretch over at Daniel Boone.I have come to the conclusion that Edwards has to play lights out about ever game especially against a good team if Unicoi is going to compete down the road.I believe the key to them getting back on the right track is Thompson and Gardner becoming more officiant on the offensive end if you dont get nothing out of those two kids they are going to have a hard time winning. As for Cloudland anybody who watched them play against West pretty much saw what you have to do to slow them down offensively.Double team Rhodes keep Wilson in check and make their guards beat you,And of course attack them offensively on the inside. Elizabethton is finding ways to win,And got great guard play out of Morgan Depew all tournament long.Still not sold on Unaka they have a long ways to go defensively before they can ever compete against North Greene,Cloudland or Hampton. Johnson County keeps getting better and almost beat AAA David Crockett. Hamptons role players stepped up in a big way against Unicoi showing how much potential they have to make Hampton a better basketball team in the WVC along with Dorthy. Cant wait to see the Cloudland and Hampton series along with the Unicoi and Elizabethton game at Elizabethton,Because I know all coaches will be making a few adjustments over the holiday break

Cloudland needs more offense from other players. Miller has the talent to slash her way to the goal. She shouldn't concede to just being a great defender. Hughes and Johnson can both score, they need to develop their game when they get open looks. I dont think Chambers scored at all during the tourney. To be a title contender, everyone has to step up and be offensive minded. Keep the other coaches from exposing you.

Unicoi had a tough week but hopefully it makes them better down the road. They need to learn how to keep a team down when they have their foot on their throat. They should not have blew a 16 pt lead against Eliz.

Now Eliz played lights out in that third quarter but unicoi made it too easy. Open looks were there that werent in the first half.

Whats this talk about Eliz losing a player?

It appears that there were a couple of additional changes in the Lady Cyclone's coaching staff at the end of last week and that may have been accompanied by the loss of a key player. I will not speculate until confirmed, but if true, someone will have to step up and try to fill the void.

It appears that there were a couple of additional changes in the Lady Cyclone's coaching staff at the end of last week and that may have been accompanied by the loss of a key player. I will not speculate until confirmed, but if true, someone will have to step up and try to fill the void.

Let me confirm it for you. I know Coach Bowers and have coached against him in AAU. He was let go for actually "coaching" and winning. As far as I know who plays and doesn't is a coaching decision. This apparently upset a family of a certain player who went to the higher ups and complained. He was called the day of the Unicoi game thursday and wouldn't be needed as a coach at EHS any longer. His sister who was an assistant coach there resigned afterwards that night. As far as the 'key' player YES she is gone. Turned in uniform after the game friday where she had an outstanding performance. She will be missed. But after the way the Coaches and she was treated by her 'teammates' she felt she was no longer wanted and it was time to move on. I wish her and Coach Bowers' the best of luck. You don't win close to 275 games on the tournament circuit and 3 USBA National Championships and numerous other tournament titles and go unwanted somewhere for long. We would love to have them at our school as I'm sure others would say the same.

Let me confirm it for you. I know Coach Bowers and have coached against him in AAU. He was let go for actually "coaching" and winning. As far as I know who plays and doesn't is a coaching decision. This apparently upset a family of a certain player who went to the higher ups and complained. He was called the day of the Unicoi game thursday and wouldn't be needed as a coach at EHS any longer. His sister who was an assistant coach there resigned afterwards that night. As far as the 'key' player YES she is gone. Turned in uniform after the game friday where she had an outstanding performance. She will be missed. But after the way the Coaches and she was treated by her 'teammates' she felt she was no longer wanted and it was time to move on. I wish her and Coach Bowers' the best of luck. You don't win close to 275 games on the tournament circuit and 3 USBA National Championships and numerous other tournament titles and go unwanted somewhere for long. We would love to have them at our school as I'm sure others would say the same.

I'm sorry to say it, but the recent events (or something similar) was bound to happen in this situation. Yes Coach Bowers is a good coach and he has had success with the younger girls in AAU. However, I'm sure he wasn't let go for "coaching" and "winning." Unfortunately, some of the dynamics you mention did exist between both adults and the kids, but I'm confident there is blame to go around on BOTH sides of this conflict. Regardless, it's unfortunate for the player and the team these circumstances, created mainly by the adults (on both sides), have caused more drama for an already tumultuous situation. The Lady Clones are losing a quality player no doubt. I wish her and her father the best in their endeavors. I do think it's in the best interest of both the player and the father now for them to find a good team with a good coach for her to play and for dad to be dad and not coach (from the bench or the bleachers). If they can do that, she will be successful. If not, this is probably only the first bump in the road in her high school career. I hear she is going to Hampton. Coach Tolley is a great coach. This could be good for both if the personalities can make it work. My two cents...