District 9A

CoffeeBreak

Wow! Calling out 16-17 year olds misplaying a ball or two? Go watch a college game (or a pro game) and you see the same thing. Baseball is a game of failure. I'm all for team pride but no need to run down Cascade's players.

There isn't a team in the district that didn't have fielding errors last year and probably no one felt worse about it than the kids who didn't make the routine play.

Very true, I think BigBob is just trying to get a rise outta OldChamp. All the teams need to work on defense and like you said in another post, base running, base running, base running. Isn't it great we're 2 weeks out and already got the juices flowing. What are we going to do with ourselves next year with the boys graduating.

Should be a great year with Eagleville,Cascade, Forrest,and Community all very good.

Be difficult to overcome Cascade's and Eagleville's pitching this year. Not sure they have the best offensive lineups. Community did a nice job offensively last year and I suspect Forrest will do pretty well too despite losing Brothers.

Seems like Huntland lost quite a bit to graduation. Moore County has a few players but a few gaps as well. MTCS graduated several - most of their innings on the mound, their middle infield, 1B, and two OFs. Sounds like lots of rebuilding. Defensively it wasn't a great year for the Cougars and I believe the guys coming in have a chance to be pretty good ball players they just don't have much varsity experience. There is some nice talent coming up in the freshie and Soph classes.

I think MTCS will be solid come tourney time. Last year Eagleville put them in the losers bracket but they rebounded to the semifnals where Cascade put them out.

It's impossible for me to believe as many players that have transferred from Shelbyville Central, Tullahoma and Unionville for football, baseball and basketball, that anyone from Cascade would still bring up this subject. We have three that transferred from Riverdale on the baseball roster, you guys have two from Tullahoma and one from Shelbyville this year, sounds about even to me.

I would like to hear more about who Bob thought he saw (wearing Cascade gear) this past Saturday.

the two from tullahoma,one moved here as freshmen, both have a parent that graduated from cascade. neither had to sat out 1 practice or 1 game, doesn't sound like a transfer to me! And I don't think I was the one who brought up TRANSFERS! I am very sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. But as a lifelong cascade fan and alumni I have my own opinion and it is mine not anyone elses.So good luck to all of 9A,I am looking forward to some stiff comp this year!

Caught a bit of the MTCS scrimmage yesterday (what a beautiful afternoon). 3 pitchers for MTCS (freshie, Soph, senior). Generally did fine. Would love to see a few more strikes and a few less balls. Defense was steady. OF had a couple of balls drop in front. BBCOR vs BESR in my opinion. Kids did a pretty nice job at the plate. A couple of balls hit on the button but what I thought was encouraging was that they weren't chasing bad pitches.

At one point there were 6 freshies on the field for MTCS. Missing the hoop guys since they just finished their season Monday night in Perry County. Next scrimmage set for Saturday with the opener next week. Won't have any sophs or seniors due to class trips.

Eagleville topped Summertown 5-0 in a 7 inning scrimmage using 3 different pitchers. Had multiple opportunities to score more runs with several baserunners but the wind was blowing in at about 30 mph and held up a few balls that would have been singles over the infielders. Summertown at least at this point seems to be a bit thin in pitching this year.

Eagleville topped Summertown 5-0 in a 7 inning scrimmage using 3 different pitchers. Had multiple opportunities to score more runs with several baserunners but the wind was blowing in at about 30 mph and held up a few balls that would have been singles over the infielders. Summertown at least at this point seems to be a bit thin in pitching this year.

Wind held up balls in the infield?

Wind held up balls in the infield?

You ever seen that bloop shot when a batter just kinda slaps the ball that is about 30 feet up and lands between the infielders and the outfielders, so picture that but when the infielder is going back into the grass it was literally like the ball just hit a wall and it allowed the infielder to catch up to it. I wasn't talking about a grounder or a liner to the infielder. I did say "that would have been singles OVER the infielders" not in the infield.

You ever seen that bloop shot when a batter just kinda slaps the ball that is about 30 feet up and lands between the infielders and the outfielders, so picture that but when the infielder is going back into the grass it was literally like the ball just hit a wall and it allowed the infielder to catch up to it. I wasn't talking about a grounder or a liner to the infielder. I did say "that would have been singles OVER the infielders" not in the infield.

Get what you're saying but those are not well hit balls anyway. How are the new bats effecting things?

Get what you're saying but those are not well hit balls anyway. How are the new bats effecting things?

Difference of opinion, sometimes depending on the count and pitch location and if you're trying to protect as the batter a slap shot or punch or whatever you want to call it is actually a pretty good thing, you can take a tough pitch and punch it over the infield and get on and that can take a bit of skill and/or luck. Doesn't always show the best technique/form but its more of taking what the pitcher gives. As for that game it was really hard to tell how the bats effect hitting due to the strong winds. Our guys seem to be putting the bat on the ball pretty good, biggest thing is that the ball loses steam quicker when it reaches a certain point instead of carrying, much like what you see in wood bat tournaments. Can't tell much difference with the line drive grounders. Base running and good outfielders will be big this year in getting wins in close games.