NEW BA Coach!

DownInTennessee

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first impression of White is that his character fits the model of what Brentwood Academy is all about. Here's an extended look at White's background, personality and ideals: Profile of Cody White

If White truly embodies the qualities the article highlights, he'll be a good fit working in BA's high-achieving, Christian environment.

Who knows how he'll fare in Tennessee's toughest league? Notwithstanding the past two seasons, I am encouraged that he took Denison to the Texas state semis in 2009, and to the quarters in 2008. He also has experience in big-time programs -- Highland Park and Permian are nationally known.

I'll remind you that Auburn was excoriated for its hire of Gene Chizik -- until he won the national title in his second season. Chizik's record at Iowa State was abysmal; two years later, he got the last laugh. There's a lot more to a coach's qualification level than wins and losses, especially when we don't know the circumstances surrounding Denison's struggles the past two years. Maybe he had zero talent with which to work. Rivals doesn't list any college prospects among his two recent graduating classes.

It's obviously premature to judge the hire as a boom or bust. It'll be fun to welcome another passionate Christian leader to the BA community. Wins are important, and I hope White wins 18 gold balls. But developing character-filled young men is way more important than developing championship teams. It's easy to lose sight of that.

Edited by WesVLT

My first impression of White is that his character fits the model of what Brentwood Academy is all about. Here's an extended look at White's background, personality and ideals: Profile of Cody White

If White truly embodies the qualities the article highlights, he'll be a good fit working in BA's high-achieving, Christian environment.

Who knows how he'll fare in Tennessee's toughest league? Notwithstanding the past two seasons, I am encouraged that he took Denison to the Texas state semis in 2009, and to the quarters in 2008. He also has experience in big-time programs -- Highland Park and Permian are nationally known.

I'll remind you that Auburn was excoriated for its hire of Gene Chizik -- until he won the national title in his second season. Chizik's record at Iowa State was abysmal; two years later, he got the last laugh. There's a lot more to a coach's qualification level than wins and losses, especially when we don't know the circumstances surrounding Denison's struggles the past two years. Maybe he had zero talent with which to work. Rivals doesn't list any college prospects among his two recent graduating classes.

It's obviously premature to judge the hire as a boom or bust. It'll be fun to welcome another passionate Christian leader to the BA community. Wins are important, and I hope White wins 18 gold balls. But developing character-filled young men is way more important than developing championship teams. It's easy to lose sight of that.

BA and MBA learned this the hard way. Ensworth will be next. And since BA cant touch Ensworth right now, saying character development is more important than winning games is an easy "out" for BA.

Good luck to the new coach and congrats to BA, it sounds like you hired a really good guy.

BA and MBA learned this the hard way. Ensworth will be next. And since BA cant touch Ensworth right now, saying character development is more important than winning games is an easy "out" for BA.

Good luck to the new coach and congrats to BA, it sounds like you hired a really good guy.

Winning and developing quality young men are not mutually exclusive. In looking at his background, he's definitely prepared for the job. My gut tells me that he's going to do well at BA. A lot can happen to sink a team's season. Let's hope that the Chizek reference is a good analogy. Rivals lists no college prospects on the Denison team for the past year, BA has 4-5 returning players listed, so there should be a big upgrade in talent for him to work with. Not to mention a rising Jr and Soph that will play DI FB. I am going to be supportive, and trust the headmaster and others that interviewed and made the decision. Go Eagles.

Winning and developing quality young men are not mutually exclusive. In looking at his background, he's definitely prepared for the job. My gut tells me that he's going to do well at BA. A lot can happen to sink a team's season. Let's hope that the Chizek reference is a good analogy. Rivals lists no college prospects on the Denison team for the past year, BA has 4-5 returning players listed, so there should be a big upgrade in talent for him to work with. Not to mention a rising Jr and Soph that will play DI FB. I am going to be supportive, and trust the headmaster and others that interviewed and made the decision. Go Eagles.

Agreed. Good post.

Your thoughts completely match mine. Hopefully BA picked a guy who will develop good men and good football players. He'll have plenty of talent with which to work.

This is truly disappointing. Out of 80+ candidates this is the best they could find? Someone who doesn't have a winning record, hasn't won the state and averages 35+ points scored on him per game? Clearly, the headmaster cares nothing about the success of the football program. I feel sorry for the players who so desire to make it back to the state.

This is truly disappointing. Out of 80+ candidates this is the best they could find? Someone who doesn't have a winning record, hasn't won the state and averages 35+ points scored on him per game? Clearly, the headmaster cares nothing about the success of the football program. I feel sorry for the players who so desire to make it back to the state.

You could easily spin the facts the other direction. He's a coach who's taken teams deep in the Texas playoffs on two separate occasions, has coached at some of the premier programs in the country and runs a high-octane spread offense.

Further, he DOES have a winning record (34-24) and coached in Texas, the most competitive state in the country. Making it to the Texas state semis is far more impressive than winning state in Tennessee.

Denison has great tradition, but it's a small school with large fluctuations in talent. Vince Lombardi couldn't take a talentless team and turn it into a championship squad.

Let's give the guy some time before we judge the hire to be a poor one.

Edited by WesVLT

:thumb::thumb: