State Tournament Officiating

threeguyspop

I tend to take bad calls in stride....it's a subjective, thankless position to be in. But, I just witnessed the worst called match I have ever seen. The 120 Kaferle-Oliver match ended 3-2. Oliver took maybe 5 shots the whole match. Kaferle out shot him at least 3 to one. Oliver was clearly evading and the only stalling call was with 19 seconds left in the bout. There was a stalemate call when clearly Kaferle was taking control of Oliver's legs. When questioned, no evaluator was watching the match close enough to have an opinion. Any wrestler at any level deserves a competent referee. This was not the case in this situation. There were more instances of poor officiating but then there were great efforts by the officals to get in the proper position to make calls as well. Unfortunately, There were matches decided by poor calls instead of what the wrestlers brought to the mat.

I tend to take bad calls in stride....it's a subjective, thankless position to be in. But, I just witnessed the worst called match I have ever seen. The 120 Kaferle-Oliver match ended 3-2. Oliver took maybe 5 shots the whole match. Kaferle out shot him at least 3 to one. Oliver was clearly evading and the only stalling call was with 19 seconds left in the bout. There was a stalemate call when clearly Kaferle was taking control of Oliver's legs. When questioned, no evaluator was watching the match close enough to have an opinion. Any wrestler at any level deserves a competent referee. This was not the case in this situation. There were more instances of poor officiating but then there were great efforts by the officals to get in the proper position to make calls as well. Unfortunately, There were matches decided by poor calls instead of what the wrestlers brought to the mat.

Cheer up.....you could be from East TN and get dumped on by the officials all the time at the state tournaments. If your team is from the Chattanooga to Nashville area, you're ahead of the game. Overall the refs have done a good job this year at the individual tournament, but man o man, stalling and cautions were handed out in one weird manner. Same with takedowns......although it always seemed to favor the Chatt/Nash area teams. Just an observation.

I am sitting here at the state tournament and I am wondering, is their not rules or protocol for having refs from a city officiate a state finals match where one of the wrestlers is also from that city? one match it wouldnt of made a difference but I saw one just end where the kid had obvious control with possible back points and they werent awarded. Also I agree about region 1 officials. there is one there who is terrible. I mean terrible and I was told he was from region 1. Not sure but he looks like luigi from mario brothers. Hate it for the kids.

What the heck was that stalling call on Moseley about? Stalling on a shot?? All I saw cole do was move and shoot, I don't think the McCallie kid ever did either, and he gets hit with stalling after his third consecutive shot? Unbelievable

Got totally screwed by the ref in that one. Just a horrible job

Gotta love coacht.com during wrestling season.....always someone complaining about officiating, how it can be done better, how some kid got "screwed" by an official, blah, blah, blah.

Yet each year our numbers do not grow in proportion to the number of folks who seem to be able to officiate better from the stands and post about it on coacht.

Gotta love coacht.com during wrestling season.....always someone complaining about officiating, how it can be done better, how some kid got "screwed" by an official, blah, blah, blah.

Yet each year our numbers do not grow in proportion to the number of folks who seem to be able to officiate better from the stands and post about it on coacht.

ah ha ha ha, ahhhhh shut up

really mature smoke sniffer. If I didnt know better, I'd say you were on here taking up for your brother. Its just part of a tough but pretty well paying job. Not everyone is going to like the officiating. However, some of the calls and assigned officials was very questionable. hopefully there will be a higher level of standards or protocol when it comes to who is officiating state tournament matches and the relationships between refs, coaches and parents. I think that is all most of the people on here are saying.