State Tournament Officiating

threeguyspop

YOU are wrong. Couple of things. If the McCallie wrestler had shot 3 times in the last 40 sec and the FR wrestler had sprawled and held the ankle, do you not think the FR wrestler would be hit with stalling? And excellent official? That's not what I heard from 2 of a group of 3 officials after the match. "He always injects himself into the match if possible" "Doesn't surprise me at all that he would make that call, in a close match he wants to be seen" "Unbelievable" "a shame" "he got what he wanted" and this from fellow officials! 9 seconds left. Then the FR wrestler shoots in ot and again Mc sprawls. I shot and maybe 15 front headlocks from McCallie. I'm sure they are both great kids and can handle the decision, but ballsy isn't the term I would use for that call. And I didn't think I'd see a worse call than Bellet's at the 138 semi's, but there you go.

I have a hard time believing two or three officials would say such a thing. If you want to name names, we'll catch up on that. I somehow doubt you will. Were the two or three officials in the stands with you? There may be a reason for that.

Ballsy has nothing to do with it. Read the Rules Book/Case Book. Number of shots isnt in there, nor anything you bring up here.

I have a hard time believing two or three officials would say such a thing. If you want to name names, we'll catch up on that. I somehow doubt you will. Were the two or three officials in the stands with you? There may be a reason for that.

Ballsy has nothing to do with it. Read the Rules Book/Case Book. Number of shots isnt in there, nor anything you bring up here.

It's funny that just 10 seconds later, the EXACT same position was called stalemate again. Rule or not, you cannot be that inconsistant. NO WAY. This was a horrible call, and just not right for the kids involved. Bottom line, defend it all you want. It was not right, and the kids got cheated.

You're wrong.

You are ALL WRONG.

It is getting so that when so many many on coacht are headed one direction, you should question that direction.

The official made exactly the correct call.

Officials call rules book by the letter but also by the spirit. Along with the Rules Book, we are also given the Case Book to help give support to the spirit of the Rules Book. Some of you probably never heard of it, I would wager none of you have read it.

NFHS CASEBOOK, 2011-2012. page 84, Section 6, paragraph 4d:

"Grasping one leg and holding it without a follow through for a take down."

This describes what occurred the last 20 or so seconds of the match in question. I called this exact situation during the Father Ryan tournament this year. While watching this last night, I KNEW this was going to be called. The official who was on the mat is too good of an official not to make this call.

Now, would you suggest given the heightened level of this tournament, the finals of the State tournament, the official should swallow his whistle as you see in that other winter sport so often?

And what about the other kid? If you would suggest the official swallow his whistle for the one kid, are you not screwin' the other kid?

Even after the call, BOTH wrestlers had the opportunity to win the match. Yes?

Excellent call, by an excellent official.

The only shame in our sport someone has to lose after such a epic 6.5 minute battle.

This argument is settled.

Does the top man not have to improve his position? Is he allowed to sprawl and grab an ankle and sit on top? Why was Mosely punished for continually pushing the match? Back up your buddy all you want, and I'm sure in previous matches he demonstrated an understanding of the rules, but he screwed that call up bad. "Spirit" of the rules would hold that a kid attempting a legitimate shot and in the process got sprawled on would not be hit with stalling.

THE BEST CALL OF THE TOURNAMENT! BY ONE THE THE HIGHEST RATE REF IN THE STATE, IF NOT THE HIGHEST. THE WRESTLER WAS SHOOTING JUST TO HOLD THE LEG AND NOT IMPROVE OR SCORE. COACH WAS WARNED OF SUCH ACTS THAT THE SAME WRESTLER DID IN MANY PRIOR MATCHES.

GREAT CALL! AND I AM NOT A FAN OF EITHER TEAM

I think most people appreciate the service of the officials and realize that most of them just want to give back to the sport. It's one thing to defend a ref if a questionable call is made during a scramble or chain wrestling, but the call against the FR kid was shocking.

What else was he supposed to do? If his shot is blocked, is he supposed to just let go and give up a TD?

To all the refs posting about 'spirit of the rule book' or whatever nonsense- I would ask where your common sense is...

Like others have mentioned, if the FR kid's shot attempt was stalling that one particular time and every other similar situation its always a stalemate,, then why is stalling never called on top man for throwing boots to avoid giving up an escape??

Please provide the rule or spirit of the rule for this situation.

This particular match involved a ref who was clearly trying to inject himself into the match, rather than be a neutral arbiter. It was unfortunate that Mosley wrestled his finals match on the same shift as that official.

Edited by RidinTime

Well, I'll make the call to the one I know well. If he gives me the ok, and you give me a contact, I'll let you know. My advise to him would be to not, he doesn't need the brotherhood coming down on him for breaking the code. I know what I heard, and besides the three officials (only two made the comments, the other just stood there), in uniform on the floor, there were at least two other fans present who heard it. Water under the bridge because you can't change the screw-up. And you are correct, they each had a chance in overtime, where the ry kid AGAIN took a shot, the same one he had been taking. At least he didn't get called for stalling there.

Number of shots isn't in there, but being offensive is. Ryan kid was attacking and working for the takedown, Mc was sprawling and blocking.

This has nothing to do with the McCallie wrestler. He seems like a good solid kid and a heck of a wrestler. Anytime you win a state championship you deserve it, and he most certainly does.

Just re-watched the match (still up on TSSAA website). The ref in question is not what you would call, how do I say this, "competent," or "good at his job," or "fully functioning mentally." He calls stalling on Moseley (which he'd previously called a stalemate multiple times in the same match), but in overtime the EXACT. SAME. THING. happens and the call isn't stalling anymore, but stalemate again.

I'm gonna have to agree with a previous poster and say that reftn must be said referee, because there is no other way to justify sticking up for such a joke of an official. Garbage call, inconsistent reffing = spotlight stolen from two of the best wrestlers in the state. Shame on him; I hope he feels the scorn and derision that this call has generated for years to come

Just re-watched the match (still up on TSSAA website). The ref in question is not what you would call, how do I say this, "competent," or "good at his job," or "fully functioning mentally." He calls stalling on Moseley (which he'd previously called a stalemate multiple times in the same match), but in overtime the EXACT. SAME. THING. happens and the call isn't stalling anymore, but stalemate again.

I'm gonna have to agree with a previous poster and say that reftn must be said referee, because there is no other way to justify sticking up for such a joke of an official. Garbage call, inconsistent reffing = spotlight stolen from two of the best wrestlers in the state. Shame on him; I hope he feels the scorn and derision that this call has generated for years to come

"JOKE OF AN OFFICIAL" IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE OFFICIAL- HE WAS JUST NAMED TO THE STATE HALL OF FAME FOR WRESTLING. IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WRESTLING YOU KNOW WHO HE IS.

IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW WRESTLING- YOU CAN TAKE THE TEST, PAY YOUR FEE- NAME YOURSELF AND BE A MAN AND PUT ON THE STRIPES AND GIVE IT A WHIRL

"JOKE OF AN OFFICIAL" IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE OFFICIAL- HE WAS JUST NAMED TO THE STATE HALL OF FAME FOR WRESTLING. IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WRESTLING YOU KNOW WHO HE IS.

IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW WRESTLING- YOU CAN TAKE THE TEST, PAY YOUR FEE- NAME YOURSELF AND BE A MAN AND PUT ON THE STRIPES AND GIVE IT A WHIRL

Yet you have not revealed yor name have you.