Transfer rules possibly changing in Chattanooga

foozballman

Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly or is Bill Price telling another fib. From what I understand McClendon was using the No Child Left Behind clause in order to attend school out of zone. I am also pretty sure he started.

My link

I know it gives you great pleasure to rag on Signal Mountain, but don’t try to make this about us. The article clearly points out that Rick Smith is doing this to save the $800,000 currently being used to provide transportation to NCLB transfers. Let’s hope that money is spent on improving the “low-performing†schools, but I doubt it will be. That Hargis boy obviously approached the topic from how it might affect athletic programs, but here is a better article on the subject. TFP Article

Coach Price’s comment is correct. Of all the NCLB transfers to Signal Mountain, few have played sports and none have started or even seen significant playing time on the football team.

Many of us on these boards, including myself, thought the basis of McClendon’s transfer was NCLB. However, we learned through the appeal process (whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not) that his transfer was based upon his special educational needs. HCBE Transfer Guidelines We did, however, argue that the transportation requirements of NCLB should redefine a school’s “territory†under T$$AA guidelines. That argument failed, and the T$$AA’s position is that NCLB has never applied to their eligibility guidelines. If that is true, the NCLB waiver should have no effect on athlete transfers.

I can understand the Brainerd coaches’ frustrations as they have lost numerous athletes to other schools. No doubt some of these were “recruitedâ€, particularly in basketball, but I’m sure many of the transfers were initiated by the players and their parents. Numerous athletes and other students transferred schools long before NCLB, and the NCLB waiver will probably have little impact on that.

By the way, Tim’s academic performance at Signal Mountain and the fact that he will be able to attend The College of the Sequoias on a scholarship show that his transfer was a good decision. COS Giants Make It Big I’m sure you wish him well, as do we. Coach Price and Coach Roberson were instrumental in securing Tim’s scholarship in contradiction to the final paragraph of the article you cite.:flower:

Edited by MountainTroll
  • Upvote 1

Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly or is Bill Price telling another fib. From what I understand McClendon was using the No Child Left Behind clause in order to attend school out of zone. I am also pretty sure he started.

My link

After reading the TFP this morning I had to get on here because I figured there would be some fool that would make this out to be Signal Mountain. No Tim wasn't a NCLB student he was a hardship transfer.

Now this could make things in Hamilton County interesting. Looking around Hamilton County I would say the biggest impact in football will be on Red Bank, Ooltewah and East Hamilton. East Hamilton and Ooltewah are also facing possible rezoning for overcrowding reasons at EH, add all this together and it could have a big impact on them.

Edited by smeagle1

In DII a student-athlete is eligible to play varsity sports as long as they don't receive more aid than they are allowed by the independent agency in NJ and as long as the remainder is paid by their parents or legal guardian. I don't know of anyone on 100% aid who is eligible to play varsity, as a matter of fact, we have a cross country runner who is probably fastest in the state who is ineligible because he does receive a full academic ride.

What I find interesting is not the Price comments nor the McClendon case, it is the admission by several public school coaches of the "transferring" that goes on between the publics who have claimed that they don't "recruit" for years. I always wondered what happened to those athletes who didn't end up with me in 9th grade at Hixson but instead showed up at Red Bank or Soddy! I guess I now know!

In DII a student-athlete is eligible to play varsity sports as long as they don't receive more aid than they are allowed by the independent agency in NJ and as long as the remainder is paid by their parents or legal guardian. I don't know of anyone on 100% aid who is eligible to play varsity, as a matter of fact, we have a cross country runner who is probably fastest in the state who is ineligible because he does receive a full academic ride.

What I find interesting is not the Price comments nor the McClendon case, it is the admission by several public school coaches of the "transferring" that goes on between the publics who have claimed that they don't "recruit" for years. I always wondered what happened to those athletes who didn't end up with me in 9th grade at Hixson but instead showed up at Red Bank or Soddy! I guess I now know!

Bluemom, coaches have been saying this all along. The transfer issue really took off when the academies were brought into Hamilton County. All it took was a student to say I want to take X and if their school didn't offer it they got to go to the school that did. It's clear the coaches at Brainerd and Howard know it isn't the NCBL taking athletes. My guess is the schools they are referring too are actually NCLB failing schools. I really don't see how Hamilton County can stop the transfers for academic reasons if their going to allow schools to have different curriculum's. They could curb it if they would just make sure a student that transfers for a specific curriculum actually has to stay in and pass the courses for that curriculum.

Most of the movement is likely between eighth and ninth grade, when the student doesn't attend the high school after attending that high school's feeder (sometimes the HS has more than one feeder). As it relates to sports, I hope some kind of decision is made quickly as the four-year classification counts are this year and some schools' enrollments could change drastically, after the count is taken. Unrelated to sports, they should wait on building plans to see how the enrollments spread back out.

Red Bank was mentioned either in this thread or another, I don't know if they necessarily have a lot of NCLB students or if their zone extends well into the Chattanooga city limits.

I was reading an article on one of the best basketball players in the city, how he's progressed since playing in his younger days at Orchard Knob. I am sure this type of player is what the coaches are talking about. I wish they'd be specific when accusing others of blatant recruiting, though. If not, stop whining.

Most of the movement is likely between eighth and ninth grade, when the student doesn't attend the high school after attending that high school's feeder (sometimes the HS has more than one feeder). As it relates to sports, I hope some kind of decision is made quickly as the four-year classification counts are this year and some schools' enrollments could change drastically, after the count is taken. Unrelated to sports, they should wait on building plans to see how the enrollments spread back out.

Red Bank was mentioned either in this thread or another, I don't know if they necessarily have a lot of NCLB students or if their zone extends well into the Chattanooga city limits.

I was reading an article on one of the best basketball players in the city, how he's progressed since playing in his younger days at Orchard Knob. I am sure this type of player is what the coaches are talking about. I wish they'd be specific when accusing others of blatant recruiting, though. If not, stop whining.

Squaw, you're better at numbers than me, but with just 474 students transfering from 17 schools and Rick Smith's remark that NCLB transfers would not end abruptly, but would be "phased out", I doubt that this will affect a school's classification.

Don't forget, this still needs Hamilton County School Board's approval, and we all know how dysfunctional they are.:roflol:

And foozball man, thanks for changing the thread title.:thumb:

Edited by MountainTroll

It might not even need to be drastic drops or rises to change things or prevent change-you have Brainerd at the edge of the 3A/4A playoff cutoff in AA, with East Hamilton and Central falling just below the Class AAA cutoff during this classification period (even though EH already appears to be over).

Another thing, if they're stopped or slowed you may not only have a switch back from current students it will change the number who would have switched if given the chance, in the coming years. The transfers have increased a lot recently according to the article so there would be fewer among the higher grade students.

I just don't want to see situations even if it's not the fault of the schools, like Walker Valley playing and winning big in everything in AA/3A football for a couple of years with an 1200-student enrollment, Signal playing Class A/2A sports with an AA enrollment and East Hamilton still in Class AA for the remainder of this school year and the next one. A two-year class period instead of a four-year period would help in such matters, with the way information can be compiled and sent now there's no need for a long term classification.

A strict enforcement on attending school in the zone where you live will have far reaching effects on all of high school atheletics in Hamilton County as well as East Tennessee. It has been my understanding that Hamilton County always had zones but it really operated like an "open zone" because it was never enforced anyways. Even before NCLB, athletes would attend schools outside their zone as long as they provided thier own transportation. I applaud Rick Smith to taking this step when the opportunity presented itself. Take that 3/4 million dollars you saved and upgrade the facilities in the inner-city.