How many errors on this MBA plaque can you spot?

Schwiering

Today, my brother sent me a text with the attached image:

MBAFAIL.jpg

Not sure anyone will be able to read anything from the image, so here is the text:

Rickey Bowers became MBA's varsity football coach in 1994. That fall MBA won 9 games against 3 losses. The next year the Big Red had a 12-2 record and advanced to the semifinals of the TSSAA Class 5A State Championship competition. In 1996 MBA reached the playoff finals, losing to Brentwood Academy 23-20 in double overtime. Fullback Will Bartholomew and kicker John Markham were both named first team All-State. In college, both players would be captains of their respective teams, Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

In 1997 MBA began competing in the TSSAA's new Division II-AAA composed of the private schools that gave financial aid. After two losses that September, MBA went undefeated for the balance of the regular season. In the playoffs, the Big Red upset Brentwood Academy in the Clinic Bowl for the schools first Division II state championship. It was fitting that MBA's state championship came in the 100th year of MBA football. Hunter Hillenmeyer, who was the Division II Lineman of the Year, went on to a stellar career at Vanderbilt and to become MBA's second NFL draftee since Bill Wade, following John Markham who was drafted two years earlier.

At first glance I noticed 3 glaring errors that even the most basic fact checking would have turned up. I am not an MBA history buff, but if other information is based off of the errors I spotted, as it appears to be, then there are more errors that need to be corrected. I could also be totally wrong that these are innocent errors and maybe MBA is simply trying to rewrite history.

How many errors can you spot?

• 1 month later...

Today, my brother sent me a text with the attached image:

MBAFAIL.jpg

Not sure anyone will be able to read anything from the image, so here is the text:

Rickey Bowers became MBA's varsity football coach in 1994. That fall MBA won 9 games against 3 losses. The next year the Big Red had a 12-2 record and advanced to the semifinals of the TSSAA Class 5A State Championship competition. In 1996 MBA reached the playoff finals, losing to Brentwood Academy 23-20 in double overtime. Fullback Will Bartholomew and kicker John Markham were both named first team All-State. In college, both players would be captains of their respective teams, Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

In 1997 MBA began competing in the TSSAA's new Division II-AAA composed of the private schools that gave financial aid. After two losses that September, MBA went undefeated for the balance of the regular season. In the playoffs, the Big Red upset Brentwood Academy in the Clinic Bowl for the schools first Division II state championship. It was fitting that MBA's state championship came in the 100th year of MBA football. Hunter Hillenmeyer, who was the Division II Lineman of the Year, went on to a stellar career at Vanderbilt and to become MBA's second NFL draftee since Bill Wade, following John Markham who was drafted two years earlier.

At first glance I noticed 3 glaring errors that even the most basic fact checking would have turned up. I am not an MBA history buff, but if other information is based off of the errors I spotted, as it appears to be, then there are more errors that need to be corrected. I could also be totally wrong that these are innocent errors and maybe MBA is simply trying to rewrite history.

How many errors can you spot?

1. The '96 double OT loss to BA was not the final.

2. The reference to the '97 season mixes both the '97 and '98 seasons. The '97 team lost two games, then went undefeated until they lost to Ryan in the first Div II championship game. The '98 team lost two early games, then ran the board, upsetting BA.

Not sure what the third one would be.

• 2 months later...

2. The reference to the '97 season mixes both the '97 and '98 seasons. The '97 team lost two games, then went undefeated until they lost to Ryan in the first Div II championship game. The '98 team lost two early games, then ran the board, upsetting BA.

Was there ever a DII-AAA? I think it is A and AA.

• 2 weeks later...

94 team (Ricky's first) lost in the 1st round to Jackson Central Merry , led by Al Wilson-- 42-14 or something like that.

95 team played BA in the first round, got smacked 35-10

96 team played BA in the quarter finals and lost in double OT. Great, great game. MBA was probably the 2d best team in the state that year.

97 was the first year of DII. MBA played Ryan in the finals. Ryan won.

98 team was the team that lost to BA in the regular season but then beat them in the finals. Barton Simmons deflected a pass and COle Barfield intercepted it on the goal line in the last minute.

99 team was Ricky's best -- undefeated. Only close game was against Bolles. Ingle Martin.

I would have guessed that MBA had a draftee between Bill Wade and Johm Markham, but myabe not.

94 team (Ricky's first) lost in the 1st round to Jackson Central Merry , led by Al Wilson-- 42-14 or something like that.

95 team played BA in the first round, got smacked 35-10

96 team played BA in the quarter finals and lost in double OT. Great, great game. MBA was probably the 2d best team in the state that year.

97 was the first year of DII. MBA played Ryan in the finals. Ryan won.

98 team was the team that lost to BA in the regular season but then beat them in the finals. Barton Simmons deflected a pass and COle Barfield intercepted it on the goal line in the last minute.

99 team was Ricky's best -- undefeated. Only close game was against Bolles. Ingle Martin.

I would have guessed that MBA had a draftee between Bill Wade and Johm Markham, but myabe not.

Your recollection of '94 and '95 are incorrect. This is what happened:

'94 team lost in the 5A2nd Round to JCM. Won at Franklin in Round 1.

'95 team lost in the 5A semi-finals at BA. Beat JCM, Henry Co., and Lincoln Co. to get there.

'96 team lost in 5A quarter finals in 2OT to BA on a missed call. And, yes, most would agree that game was for the state title.

'96 team lost in 5A quarter finals in 2OT to BA on a missed call. And, yes, most would agree that game was for the state title.

If I recall the newspaper reports correctly, the BA players siad as much immediately after the game. There've been some controversial calls in a couple of BA games, but for my money, the BA people have always been very classy and likeable. It's a pity so many of the BA posters have left.