Infield fly rule

ibball44

In the East Hamilton-Notre Dame game, it was the 9th inning, men on 1st and 2nd, one out. Ball popped up not very high between second base and pitcher's mound. Pitcher did not know where the ball was, and 2nd and short didn't have a play on the ball. Ball hits turf, infielder picks ball up and fires to third. Field umpire, not having called infield fly rule, calls out the runner advancing to third on a force. East Hamilton head coach Garland goes ballistic, not arguing that the infield fly rule was in effect, but that the third baseman pulled his foot off the bag. Field umpire tells him that the third baseman had his foot on the bag and head coach discuss this for awhile with head coach making the international sign for "He pulled his foot off the bag." Finally, plate umpire (who never made a call at all) strolls out, discusses with the field umpire and they decide that the runner advancing to third is safe, but the runner going to first is out on the infield fly rule call. Home plate umpire then says that he made the infield fly call, which he didn't. No player, coach or his umpire partner heard him do so. Thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to your explanation, No infield fly rule should have been called because it seems that it was a little nubber off the handle or the end that falls behind the pitcher. But to me it played out for hitting team, runners on 2nd and 3rd with two outs is a little better than 1st and 2nd, so it seems the umpires were in a sticky situation but Umpires will stick together and support each others calls so as an umpire they made the right calls.

I agree the umpire mechanics on this play was not the best (I'm a retired umpire). If the batted ball was catchable, then it is an infield fly whether it is caught or not. Doesn't matter if the pitcher saw it or not. Was it catchable? I am assuming it was and thus the batter is out and the runner advancing to third must be tagged out as there is no force. Sounds like to me it was ugly but they got it to the right place.

I agree the umpire mechanics on this play was not the best (I'm a retired umpire). If the batted ball was catchable, then it is an infield fly whether it is caught or not. Doesn't matter if the pitcher saw it or not. Was it catchable? I am assuming it was and thus the batter is out and the runner advancing to third must be tagged out as there is no force. Sounds like to me it was ugly but they got it to the right place.

If it was an easily caught "fly" ball, it is a infield fly signaled by pointing into the air.

If it was an easily caught "fly" ball, it is a infield fly signaled by pointing into the air.

You are correct. I was taught to point into the air and YELL, "Infield fly. Batter is out!" I never had a situation where I couldn't do that BEFORE the ball was within 15 feet of the ground.

I don't know what they do now but where I was, when there was an infield fly rule situation, the home plate umpire would step in front of home plate facing second base and fold his arm across his chest so the base umpire would know he recognized the situation. If home plate umpire didn't do this, the base umpire would get his attention and fold his arm across his chest. It is easy to miss having that situation so if either one recognizes it, it gets communicated. Suspect that didn't happen in this case and it "snuck up on them".

Thanks for your replies. The ball was probably not easily catchable as is required for application of the rule. However, neither the field umpire, who called out the runner advancing to third, or the home plate umpire made any audible call of "infield fly", nor did either make the standard point upward sign. The home plate umpire remained silent and made no sign at all (I was standing about ten feet behind him) until he walked out to chat with his partner a full three minutes after the play was over. They then discussed the play for two minutes and issued their amended call. The home plate umpire told the Notre Dame coach that he made the call at the time of the play, which he clearly did not do, and which no one, including his umpire partner, East Hamilton's coach or I heard or saw from ten feet away. The next batter drove in the two runs that were now in scoring position to win the game.

They've deffinatly got to make the call though, I believe.

If the umpires are doing their job correctly they will signal to each that an infield fly situation exists before the play begins (runners on 1st and 2nd or bases loaded with less than two outs). If they do the "prepitch" correctly they won't forget to make the appropriate call ( rule reads "the umpire shall declare") at the appropriate time. Just like the players need to know the situation before the play -the umpires do as well.

Its like i always tell my boy, when the ball is in the air you supposed to go backwards first that away you know whether not how far the ball is away from you and then you scoot up if its kinda closer then you thought it was but if you miss it your up pond creek without a paddel.