TSWA All-State Girls' Class A

sayingwhatithink

She's a great player and kid! Time to move on!

The bottom line is 7A dominated the all state team with 6 selected out of 15 total players. All other districts contributed 9. One district with almost half the selection testifies to the quality of basketball in 7A. Good job girls.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is 7A dominated the all state team with 6 selected out of 15 total players. All other districts contributed 9. One district with almost half the selection testifies to the quality of basketball in 7A. Good job girls.Five of those six players played in the state championship game how could anyone argue that

there are alot of girls that are excellent players with good attitudes and that are respected,but what are her stats.I hate that your daughter plays on a REALLY BAD TEAM maybe you should transfer her to a really good team

Really hated reading this post...this type of thinking is becoming more prevelant day by day,and in my opinion it overshadows the real importance of what organized sports should be teaching at the high school level.Pushing onesself to be your best is an admirable quality,but selling out your team(and teammates/friends)to be associated with "winners" is counterproductive to the message of sportsmanship first.I'd hope that this young lady would rather be at her best for her team than to be associated with a LeBron James type manuever,everyone saw the reaction that the entire world had when he "took his talents to South Beach".

Alright , I can't take anymore. This is "the young lady from Harriman"'s dad. She didn't ask for this award,we didn't lobby for it and we don't know how they choose it.She played her heart out ,despite her circumstances , and that's all she can do.This talk about "transferring to a better school" to get more basketball wins is pathetic. This talk of ANY player doing better with "no coach and a bunch of 6th graders" is idiotic. She has me busting with pride for ALL her accomplishments and she's gonna continue at a great college and beyond. Any man would be lucky to have such a kid.Why she's being singled out for these insults is upsetting and wierd...you guys need to get a grip.Those other girls you mentioned we know personally and you're right , they are deserving.How you can do this crap is shameful.That's all I have to say.

You have every right to be proud of your daughter,making the list does not mean that the list encompases the best/top however many are listed,just that they are indeed worthy.I said as much about the miss basketball top three and was bombarded with replys from people who misunderstood that I thought that one or all should'nt have been finalists.Along comes Sydney Roach and solidifies the point that I was trying to make,point being that across the state there are many who "deserve" the honor,some recognized,some not.Congratulations to your daughter for the honor,and to you for being a proud father!

Really hated reading this post...this type of thinking is becoming more prevelant day by day,and in my opinion it overshadows the real importance of what organized sports should be teaching at the high school level.Pushing onesself to be your best is an admirable quality,but selling out your team(and teammates/friends)to be associated with "winners" is counterproductive to the message of sportsmanship first.I'd hope that this young lady would rather be at her best for her team than to be associated with a LeBron James type manuever,everyone saw the reaction that the entire world had when he "took his talents to South Beach".

To a point I agree with this statement. I do believe some athletes and teams have put aside the real point that organized sports are suppose to teach, sportsmanship, hardwork, etc. However, you work hard to bring your team to the next level yet sometimes the talent around just isn't good enough. You call it a Lebron James type manuever and it could be considered that if a high school athlete had 10 to 15 years to win a championship with their team. If a high school athlete wants to win at the high school level and can't on their team then I don't blame them one bit for transfering to give themselves that opportunity to do so. High School only lasts for 4 years, and it isn't like the pros where you can have basically the same team returning for 4 or 5 years straight. In high school you might get lucky to return a bunch of juniors from the year before, but for a lot of players that opportunity to play for a championship in high school rarely comes. So when people get a chance to jump on the opportunity then I am all for it.

To a point I agree with this statement. I do believe some athletes and teams have put aside the real point that organized sports are suppose to teach, sportsmanship, hardwork, etc. However, you work hard to bring your team to the next level yet sometimes the talent around just isn't good enough. You call it a Lebron James type manuever and it could be considered that if a high school athlete had 10 to 15 years to win a championship with their team. If a high school athlete wants to win at the high school level and can't on their team then I don't blame them one bit for transfering to give themselves that opportunity to do so. High School only lasts for 4 years, and it isn't like the pros where you can have basically the same team returning for 4 or 5 years straight. In high school you might get lucky to return a bunch of juniors from the year before, but for a lot of players that opportunity to play for a championship in high school rarely comes. So when people get a chance to jump on the opportunity then I am all for it.

Interesting debate...I think I'll lean toward Trader.

Talented players can be "seen" in AAU and Exposure Tournaments.

I think a college coach might want a player that can make a so-so team look pretty good; not a player that is

on team that "shoots fish in a barrel"

Either way, I would not want to set out a year. So make sure your player can transfer without sitting out.

Can't wait to see what others think.

Season before last I saw RBS play at the'Boro,if one of the starters from that team had jumped ship causing them to lose in sub-state, to go to Clay Co. and celebrated the championship with them this past season(hindsight is 20/20),could you take the same position regarding her hypothetical choice?...Food for thought.

Edited by tradertwo

Season before last I saw RBS play at the'Boro,if one of the starters from that team had jumped ship causing them to lose in sub-state, to go to Clay Co. and celebrated the championship with them this past season(hindsight is 20/20),could you take the same position regarding her hypothetical choice?...Food for thought.

Well a few years prior a young lady did transfer from RBS to Jackson Co, which almost everyone knows who i'm talking about, and ended up winning 2 championships with them. If we wanted to keep her then when we should have won while she was here, because we had the talent to do so. Her staying in RBS would probably not have kept her from going to MTSU, but it probably would have prevented her from accomplishing some of the things she accomplished while she was at Jackson Co. At RBS our athletics are as up and down as a heartbeat, and we have had some very talented ball players to come through RBS but the opportunities, sports wise, are few and far between so if someone moved to get an opportunity that they would not get at RBS then good for them.

Edited by swanson71

Well a few years prior a young lady did transfer from RBS to Jackson Co, which almost everyone knows who i'm talking about, and ended up winning 2 championships with them. If we wanted to keep her then when we should have won while she was here, because we had the talent to do so. Her staying in RBS would probably not have kept her from going to MTSU, but it probably would have prevented her from accomplishing some of the things she accomplished while she was at Jackson Co. At RBS our athletics are as up and down as a heartbeat, and we have had some very talented ball players to come through RBS but the opportunities, sports wise, are few and far between so if someone moved to get an opportunity that they would not get at RBS then good for them.

I commend you for your stance.Personaly,I'd favor the "character" aspect of choosing my team over potential personal gain,which is not guaranteed.I am familiar with the player referenced in your post,and who's to say that RBS couldn't have had a good measure of success had she stayed?People,as well as perspectives and situations are all different so I can't degrade anyone for taking every opportunity to better themselves or their prospects...I just feel that it shows more heart to adopt the "us against the world" philisophy than the "if you can't beat'em,join'em".

Edited by tradertwo

I commend you for your stance.Personaly,I'd favor the "character" aspect of choosing my team over potential personal gain,which is not guaranteed.I am familiar with the player referenced in your post,and who's to say that RBS couldn't have had a good measure of success had she stayed?People,as well as perspectives and situations are all different so I can't degrade anyone for taking every opportunity to better themselves or their prospects...I just feel that it shows more heart to adopt the "us against the world" philisophy than the "if you can't beat'em,join'em".

I do feel that it does show a great deal of heart by staying on a team that isn't as talented. That is why I have nothing against a school like FCS and the teams they put together. Most of the kids that go there are there to better themselves in athletics. Do I think they should be playing the schools in the district/region they are in...no I do not! They are so good because almost every kid that plays baseball and football have a very high interest in that sport and have been playing it and trying to get better at it their entire lives, so they go there because they know they can excell. FCS as a school knows this so that is why they encourage it so much, I would guess roughly 3/4 of the kids at FCS do play some type of sport. I have no problem with that whatsoever because parents are trying to get the best for their child, but as I said I do not think a school like FCS should be playing teams like Gordonsville, RBS, Watertown, etc because they can't offer the same opportunity.

• 1 month later...

The fact that both teams in the C'ship game were from 7A only strengthens the point. There's only five teams in the district but what a district. Just sayin'

Just saying, one of those teams won by 1 point in overtime against a team that went over 8 minutes without scoring.....I wouldnt boast too much because it very nearly didnt happen that way, in fact it was a missed shot at the buzzer that allowed both teams to play in the title game