Coffee Co Baseball

binns37388

I wanted to congratulate Coach Chase Jones on being voted Coach of the Year. He does an outstanding job year in and year out with that program. With that being said, the rumor going around here is that he may lose his job and that some folks are upset in Manchester with Coach Jones. I've heard everything from a Coffee Co player throwing his bat over the fence at a road game and the coach getting home and running the team afterwards and some players refusing to run and being kicked off the team to players recording his conversation with them without his knowledge and playing it back to a board member. Its all hearsay for me, but I will say this, Coach Jones does a heck of a job with that program and is the most underated coach in our area. I have a lot of respect for him and what he does and so does everyone else that I know and I know lots of people in baseball. I hope there are enough level headed people in Coffee Co that realize that firing him would be a mistake. Good luck Coach.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was around the program a few years back and I still go back from time to time - coach jones is one of the very few bright spots the chs athletic department can be proud of.

I have heard about the drama. But I've also seen the source of the drama - and being around the sports scene I can tell you - these are some of the worst, most selfish parents that can be had in the upper classes. And I wouldnt put a lot of stock into what they say. especially considering these folks didn't have a problem, or vocally have one, best I can tell until their kids quit the team.

Coach jones is a guy who will always do what he can to help a kid. He is usually too generous with the opportunities given to players who probably do not deserve them but he cares. He loves baseball and it shows in his dedication - hours and hours of summer work and off season work. He can be found workin on the field after hours, all by himself during the fall. I was proud to have been part of the program and am proud to call coach jones a friend.

Manchester needs to realize it has a winner. Unlike some other sports. And not just a win-loss winner, they have a winner for a head coach. If you ask other coaches at top notch programs you will hear plenty of praise and respect. And if you ask 99% of his former players you will hear the same things.

As is the norm some people have gotten bent outta shape because he doesn't bend to politics or play a kid just because their parents do certain things in the community.

When people say they just want someone to be fair: well they have one. I fear a lot Of people just say that and care more about who is playing.

Let's not forget that this is a coach who has won 220- ish games, sent several players to college and won someting like 6 district championships in 11 years. Four of those in the old district 8-aaa and it was tough over there. A region title and a state Berth came a few years ago. In 2004 they won both the regular season and the tournament titles for the first time in the same year since the 70s. And i think it was 2003 when he took the team to 9-3 in 8-aaa and won the regular season title a year after going 0-12. I think he could walk away and it's safe to say that success on the baseball field would not be repeated here for a long, long time!

Good luck, coach. And I sure hope Manchester keeps some credibility by keeping coach jones.

I was around the program a few years back and I still go back from time to time - coach jones is one of the very few bright spots the chs athletic department can be proud of.

I have heard about the drama. But I've also seen the source of the drama - and being around the sports scene I can tell you - these are some of the worst, most selfish parents that can be had in the upper classes. And I wouldnt put a lot of stock into what they say. especially considering these folks didn't have a problem, or vocally have one, best I can tell until their kids quit the team.

Coach jones is a guy who will always do what he can to help a kid. He is usually too generous with the opportunities given to players who probably do not deserve them but he cares. He loves baseball and it shows in his dedication - hours and hours of summer work and off season work. He can be found workin on the field after hours, all by himself during the fall. I was proud to have been part of the program and am proud to call coach jones a friend.

Manchester needs to realize it has a winner. Unlike some other sports. And not just a win-loss winner, they have a winner for a head coach. If you ask other coaches at top notch programs you will hear plenty of praise and respect. And if you ask 99% of his former players you will hear the same things.

As is the norm some people have gotten bent outta shape because he doesn't bend to politics or play a kid just because their parents do certain things in the community.

When people say they just want someone to be fair: well they have one. I fear a lot Of people just say that and care more about who is playing.

Let's not forget that this is a coach who has won 220- ish games, sent several players to college and won someting like 6 district championships in 11 years. Four of those in the old district 8-aaa and it was tough over there. A region title and a state Berth came a few years ago. In 2004 they won both the regular season and the tournament titles for the first time in the same year since the 70s. And i think it was 2003 when he took the team to 9-3 in 8-aaa and won the regular season title a year after going 0-12. I think he could walk away and it's safe to say that success on the baseball field would not be repeated here for a long, long time!

Good luck, coach. And I sure hope Manchester keeps some credibility by keeping coach jones.

Well said.

coach jones is a class act. i was fortunate enough to spend a year working with the program several years back and what i learned from coach jones could nto be expressed in words. people should relaize when they have someone special working with their kids and be thankful they have a coach who cares more about the kids who play for him then anything else including wins.

Coach Jones is a great coach and a person of the highest moral character that we need more of. The man is doing his job the way it needs to be done. Be thankful you have him and let him keep doing his job. The animals in the zoo at Coffee County need to be put back in their cages and shut their mouths about this man.

Good Luck Chase Jones. You deserve much better than what you are getting from these idiots.

THE Biggest problem in high school sports is that the parents come and go, and they only see the program when their Johnny or Sally is playing. They don't see and could care less about the years before they 'arrived on the scene' and the equity the coaches and the previous parents have put into the program. All they care about is their Johnny or Sally starting so the colleges can see them and give them that scholarship.

If their little son is the fifth best second baseman it isn't because they are less talented or left handed (they were the best second baseman in little league when they were left handed!) but that the starting right-handed second baseman who has made two errors in twenty four games and is hitting .444 is playing because the coach likes his dad and it is all politics...

I guess all coaches had rather play their favorites and lose than play their best players and win...

Edited by davidlimbaugh

THE Biggest problem in high school sports is that the parents come and go, and they only see the program when their Johnny or Sally is playing. They don't see and could care less about the years before they 'arrived on the scene' and the equity the coaches and the previous parents have put into the program. All they care about is their Johnny or Sally starting so the colleges can see them and give them that scholarship.

If their little son is the fifth best second baseman it isn't because they are less talented or left handed (they were the best second baseman in little league when they were left handed!) but that the starting right-handed second baseman who has made two errors in twenty four games and is hitting .444 is playing because the coach likes his dad and it is all politics...

I guess all coaches had rather play their favorites and lose than play their best players and win...

Perfectly put! :roflol:

I am a Friendship Christian fan, which some of you might not have heard of, but, I have been around our program for over 22 years and have seen us compete against Coffee County on the baseball diamond several times. I have always been very impressed with Coach Jones and the product that he yearly puts on the field. He has always been a class act and his teams have been a image of him. His teams play hard, with character, and are always very competitive. I have zero idea of what is going on in Manchester, but if Coach Jones is let go then I believe it would be a grave mistake.

I am a Friendship Christian fan, which some of you might not have heard of, but, I have been around our program for over 22 years and have seen us compete against Coffee County on the baseball diamond several times. I have always been very impressed with Coach Jones and the product that he yearly puts on the field. He has always been a class act and his teams have been a image of him. His teams play hard, with character, and are always very competitive. I have zero idea of what is going on in Manchester, but if Coach Jones is let go then I believe it would be a grave mistake.

I know quite a bit about Friendship Christian. The school has an excellent athletic dept. I've umpired there several times in baseball and it seems all their sports programs excel. The school is kinda out in the middle of nowhere, but its a beautiful campus and I've always enjoyed going there.

I have been through the ringer as a HS coach, so I know what Coach Jones is dealing with. I only know him through competing against his teams a few times, but I will say it would be a shame to see another good coach / man go down. The guy runs a good program, and hopefully he will be left alone.

I posted this in another thread: Looks like Coffee County has their share of Larry Largemouth's.........See Below:

Larry Largemouth - - - Super Dad and Super Fan

There are four things we can be sure of in life here in East TN: Death, Taxes, Fall Colors and the emergence Larry Largemouth......Super Dad, Super Fan, and Grandstand Coach of every sports team his son plays on.

To have a chance at enjoying a high school baseball game you must identify Super Dad so you can sit as far away from him as possible. Super Dads come in all shapes and sizes, but there is an easy way to find him. Follow the loudest voice you hear until you find a largemouth surrounded by abrasive obnoxiousness. You have just found Larry Largemouth “Super Dad and Super Fanâ€.

He lives in about every community in our country and his one purpose in life is to criticize high school and youth athletic teams in general and their coaches in particular. These dads usually go into hibernation during the summer, as soon as Basketball is over, so as to rest their tired lungs and voices from all the critical evaluation. You see the long season takes its toll on the poor guy because this Dad involves himself in every play, and in every situation, in every game...... BUT SHAZAAM..... his recuperating powers are amazing and there he is rested and ready to go with visions of walks, errors and strikeouts through his head. As the first game approaches, rest assured Super Dad will be ready.

To be a Super Dad you do not need a license or any special training....just a five dollar ticket you can purchase at the front gate. With that five dollar ticket Super Dad now has instant authority, with full rights and privileges, to begin chastising teenage boys, your sons, and their coaches. What an absolute bargain, for just five dollars, he gets to do all that...... by the way.....this cost,,,,, is a heckuva lot less than the price your son, his teammates and his coaches have paid putting this team together.

Make no mistake about it though.....no player or coach is immune from Super Dad and there is no way Super Dad could ever be happy with the game, the players, or the coaching. No young player is as good as Super Dad was in his day.... no teams are as good as the teams in Super Dad’s years....and let there be no doubt that Super Dad has forgot more about baseball than all those idiot coaches combined on the sidelines.

AND the coaches.....this is where Super Dad really goes to work and enjoys himself. All his frustrations, pet peeves, pettiness, verbal abuse and pure viciousness comes out when talking about that incompetent bunch of Boobs called coaches. It does not matter that the coaches wives and children are in hearing distance. They try to ignore Super Dad.....but it still hurts. BUT wait a minute.....Super Dad paid his five dollars and he believes that entitles him to make any coach and player “fair gameâ€.

The stream of criticism continues the entire game and regardless of the outcome......it should have been better.....and it would have been better if not for the incompetency of the coaches. AND.....should our team have been on the short end of the scoreboard...... that just simply proves that Super Dad was right all along and the coaches are incompetent bums and have to go.

The saddest part of Super Dad’s performance is the part he saves for the kids after the game..... when a young man makes a mistake in a game..... and they all do.....this becomes an unforgivable sin to Super Dad that takes on catastrophic proportions. He loudly challenges the boy’s skill, courage, intelligence, desire..... and the coach’s stupidity such an inept individual to stay on the team, let alone play in the game.

It makes no difference to Super Dad that these are young boys and their coaches simply playing a game they love to the best of their ability......nonsense....to Super Dad this high school game and season has far more meaning.....in his mind it will alter the course of the world, and therefore he demands perfection. After all.....Super Dad never made any mistakes.....why should high school players and their coaches be allowed to.

Larry Largemouth “Super Dad, Super Fanâ€.....who needs him?????