7-AAA District Tournament Bracket and 2013 Season Gutted

davidlimbaugh

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/2012-district-tournament.pdf

In 4-2 vote, the 7AAA coaches voted today to do away with the 3-games series and go back to a home and away schedule. This will mean each school will have to find five more games to put on their schedule. This will also mean that teams that were deep in pitching will fare even better because there is now no need to develop a #3 pitcher. No more pitching backwards, pitching your #1 on game three trying to get a win.

But the second vote really means you don't have to develop any pitching for the regular season. Reversing a rule that has been in place since the 90's, in another 4-2 vote, the coaches decided to do away with the by-law that states the regular season champion gets an automatic berth into the region. This basically renders the regular season mute. In past years when Riverdale played Siegel with first place on the line the game had a lot riding on it. Now, it doesn't.

To say I am disappointed in these two votes is an understatement. These two votes ruined what made 7-AAA Baseball special and known throughout the state. I hope you will express your feelings about this both here and with your respective coaches.

Edited by davidlimbaugh

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 4-2 vote, the 7AAA coaches voted today to do away with the 3-games series and go back to a home and away schedule. This will mean each school will have to find five more games to put on their schedule. This will also mean that teams that were deep in pitching will fare even better because there is now no need to develop a #3 pitcher. No more pitching backwards, pitching your #1 on game three trying to get a win.

But the second vote really means you don't have to develop any pitching for the regular season. Reversing a rule that has been in place since the 90's, in another 4-2 vote, the coaches decided to do away with the by-law that states the regular season champion gets an automatic berth into the region. This basically renders the regular season mute. In past years when Riverdale played Siegel with first place on the line the game had a lot riding on it. Now, it doesn't.

To say I am disappointed in these two votes is an understatement. These two votes ruined what made 7-AAA Baseball special and known throughout the state. I hope you will express your feelings about this both here and with your respective coaches.

I liked the 3 game series but I kinda understand doing away with it as it was menatally tough...Like you I liked the 3 game series and I truely think it helped in developing players...as far as doing away with the regular season champs getting a bye to region I think is a VERY BAD thing....I do not understand why 4 coaches would vote against a regular season champ getting a bye to region...if you worked hard all year and are good enough to win the district outright then to me it is a no brainer that the champ advances...keep in mind this new rule would have benefited my second son so i am not saying this out of any bias

I liked the 3 game series. Pitching depth and many other factors made the series interesting. As far as the automatic region berth changing....what sense does that make? Takes all importance off the regular season. Are they going to now have a banquet and invite every player and make sure they all get a trophy as well? Better yet, why even play a district schedule? How about having a blind draw for the tournament and playing it out that way.. and even make it more interesting by having the winner advance to the region as well as the 4th place team. Talk about strategy..how many times can you pitch backwards to get into that slot. Why the 4th place team you ask? Because that makes as much sense as the regular season district champion not getting an automatic berth into the region. Thank you and good night now.

Baseball is designed to be played in series'. Rarely is there a two-game series. What is going to happen when Stewarts Creek comes in? One game, two halves...

Tennessee high school baseball season is 8 weeks long. 6 series can fit in those 8 weeks.With an odd number of schools each team would have a 'bye' week in the schedule. 3-game series is real baseball. It has been a blast. Now it is gone...

Edited by davidlimbaugh

This has to be one of the most dissapointing decisions in years. This moves the district back not forward and makes it no more interesting than the rest of the state. Everyone that I speak with outside of 7-AAA envy the 3 game format. That change in itself is bad enough but to also make the regular season basically mean nothing takes us from a district that others admired to one that makes them laugh. Here is an idea - how about giving the 5th and 6th seeds the first round bye in the tournament to further handicap the league. Sounds to me like many people have goals to win games and pad schedules instead of winning championships.

Baseball is designed to be played in series'. Rarely is there a two-game series. What is going to happen when Stewarts Creek comes in? One game, two halves...

I agree - 2 games is not a series and requires much less strategy. You may be on to something with the new high school. Just play 4 innings, clear the board and play 3 more. The next year is swaps and you play 3 innings clear the board and then play 4.

WOW!!! District 7-AAA regular season champion should get a region birth...PERIOD. It's one of the toughest districts in the entire state, and I bet Oakland and Riverdale were the ones against this change.

I would wager Riverdale and Siegel were the 2 for the three game series. 7-AAA mirrors the world a bit more. Blend in, reward mediocrity, and make it easy not to produce. To quote Robert D. Rayford, we live in the "United States of the Offended." Don't make anyone mad or make them bring up their performance...bring the better people down. It just ain't right!!! Next thing you know, everybody is all-district, they won't keep score, and every team will have a dugout mom/dad with snacks, fruited water, and moist towels and spray bottles with fans.

Edited by onlooker

Some look like they're going overboard with the uproar...if Siegel and Riverdale's (or Blackman, whoever is strong in a particular year) 1 and 2 perform better than the 1 and 2 on the other teams then they'll still be winning.

Be glad you're not in the Chattanooga AAA district, this year's district tournament is the most messed up bracket I've ever seen.

Edited by Indian

Some look like they're going overboard with the uproar...if Siegel and Riverdale's (or Blackman, whoever is strong in a particular year) 1 and 2 perform better than the 1 and 2 on the other teams then they'll still be winning.

Be glad you're not in the Chattanooga AAA district, this year's district tournament is the most messed up bracket I've ever seen.

Judging by the phone calls and text messages I have been getting since this came out it isn't going overboard by any means. Until you have been at Riverdale or Siegel to watch a game where first place and an automatic berth is on the line you haven't been to a real regular-season high school baseball game. The three-game series made coaches make decisions and handle a pitching staff totally different than a two-game series.

I know six families that are probably upset with this vote. Next year's #3 district pitchers, who instead of pitching a weekday game against Riverdale or Siegel in front of college coaches watching position players will be pitching on weekends against Community or Hume-Fogg.