D-II AA Middle/East Region Indiv. Results

bbb

Host Baylor School brought home a boys’ singles and girls’ doubles championship Sunday afternoon on the final day of the D-II AA Middle/East Individual Region tournament.

Senior Anderson Scarpa defeated defending region champ Palmer Campbell (MBA), 6-2, 6-1, while Harper Caswell and Mary Walker Mixon defeated Red Raider teammates McCall Morgan and Maggie Crumbliss, 6-4, 6-0.

Hannah Kimbrough (Ensworth) defeated Caitlin Casey (Harpeth Hall), 6-3, 6-3 for the girls’ singles crown and McCallie’s Bobby Brouner and Daniel Pare edged Baylor’s Eric Roddy and Marko Mandic, 6-7 (7), 6-4, 7-5 in the boys’ doubles finals.

“To have both our girls doubles teams in the finals was great and Anderson Scarpa is playing well as he heads to the state in three weeks,†said Baylor tennis director Ned Caswell.

Advancing to the State: The top five in singles and doubles in the Middle/East Region advance to the quarterfinals of the 19th Spring Fling state championship, May 24-25, at the Old Fort Park tennis complex in Murfreesboro.

The Comeback Kid: GPS sophomore Danielle Simms won a pair of come-from-behind, three-set matches in the consolation bracket to placed fifth and advance to the state … In the conso semis, she rallied to beat Lizzie Lebleu (Harpeth Hall), 3-6, 6-2, 11-9 … in the third set, 10-point tie-breaker, Simms trailed 6-9, fought off three match points and won 11-9 … in the fifth place match, Simms once again dropped the opening set to Christine Palosic (Baylor) before winning 2-6, 6-3, 10-6 … in the 10-point tie-breaker, Simms raced to a 7-0 lead, but Palosic fought off three match points and pulled to within three (6-9) before Simms hit an overhead for the winning point.

Exciting Doubles: McCallie’s Bobby Brouner and Daniel Pare outlasted Baylor’s Eric Roddy and Marko Mandic, 6-7 (7), 6-4, 7-5 to win the doubles title … The McCallie duo raced to a 5-1 lead in the third set before Baylor used a pair of service breaks in a four-game run to even the match at 5-5 … McCallie was broken in that 10th game, but broke back and then serve for the title … Brouner played singles a year ago, was fourth in the region and lost in the state finals ... his uncle, Barry Brouner, was a two-time state doubles champ at McCallie with partner Scott Webb; 1976-77 … in the semis, Brouner/Pare won in straight sets, but had to win the second-set tie-breaker, 19-17 … “Each team had probably four match points for and against in that long tie-breaker,†said Brouner.

Could Be The Bad Draw: Baylor No. 1 singles player Samantha Caswell had to forfeit in the semis and third place matches due to illness … the No.1 seed from the West has the tough task of facing Caswell, a 2010 state runner-up, in the quarters … Caswell is a No.4 seed in the state tourney.

Top Seeds Win: Three of the fourth top seeds claimed titles;

Boys' Singles - Anderson Scarpa (Baylor)

Boys' Doubles: Bobby Brouner/Daniel Pare (McCallie)

Girls' Doubles: Harper Caswell/Mary Walker Mixon (Baylor)

In Girls' singles, No.4 Hannah Kimbrough (Ensworth) def. No.2 Caitlin Casey (Harpeth Hall)

Top Five Advance to Spring Fling XIX, May 24-25

Boys’ Singles

Championship: Anderson Scarpa (Baylor) def. Palmer Cambell (MBA), 6-2, 6-1

Third Place: Andy Druffel (Pope John Paul) def. Bobby Bethke (Ensworth), 6-3, 6-3

Fifth Place: Fred Harwell (MBA) def. Turner Voges (McCallie), 6-1, 6-2

Championship Semis: Scarpa def. Druffel, 6-3, 6-2; Campbell def. Bethke, 6-3, 6-0

Boys’ Doubles

Championship: Bobby Brouner/Daniel Pare (McCallie) def. Eric Roddy/Marko Mandic (Baylor), 6-7 (7), 6-4, 7-5

Third Place: Evan Watkins/Luke Orthner (McCallie) def. Jackson Pride/Bo Bryntenson, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4

Fifth Place: Andrew Karpos/Mark Lowe (MBA) def. Geoff Tulloch/George Chunn (Brentwood Academy), 6-3, 6-2

Championship Semis: Brouner/Pare def. Pride/Bryntenson, 6-4, 7-6 (19-17); Roddy/Mandic def. Watkins/Orthner, 6-3, 6-4

Girls Singles

Championship: (4) Hannah Kimbrough (Ensworth) def. (2) Caitlin Casey, 6-3, 6-3

Third Place: Michelle Fleenor (GPS) def. Samantha Caswell (Baylor), withdrew due to illness

Fifth Place: Danielle Simms (GPS) def. Christine Palisoc (Baylor), 2-6, 6-3, 10-6

Championship Semis: Kimbrough def. S. Caswell, withdrew due to illness; Casey def. Fleener

Girls Doubles

Championship: Harper Caswell/Mary Walker Mixon (Baylor) def.

Third Place: Emma McCallie/Hannah Morrow (GPS) def. Lisa Southwick/Emma Alsup (Harpeth Hall), 6-2, 6-3

Fifth Place: Mary Claire Spann/Brighton Goodhue (GPS) def. Mackenzie Bass/Erin Ferguson (Father Ryan), 6-3, 7-6 (4)

Championship Semis: H Caswell/Mixon def. McCallie/Morrow, 6-4, 6-3; Morgan/Crumbliss def. Southwick/Alsup, 6-4, 6-4

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com

Edited by bbb