School ball winding down, Summer Starting up

FightinIllini

Apples and Oranges - and they both taste good :roflolk:

You can not replicate what we had at Riverdale this week in summer ball. 400 or so in the ball park, two schools' fans watching a game and two more school's fans watching, waiting for their teams to play. Summer ball, unless you are playing in a Connie Mack regional or the Connie Mack World Series in Farmington, New Mexico (I know of a Tennessee team who made it there last year :thumb: ) playing the Indiana Bulls or Midland Redskins or East Cobb Yankees or Florida Bombers, does not offer the tension and excitement the championship game Wednesday night between Siegel and Riverdale gave the 300 or so fans in attendance. It was a fun night at the ball yard.

Summer tournaments are fun. The travel is fun. Meeting folks from other parts of the country is fun. A few years ago Lee Mazzilli's wife was here to watch their son play for a team out of Connecticut. I introduced the Moon Pie to her and the other parents and players on the team. They had never heard of, much less had a moon pie. I went and bought a box of banana ones and a box of chocolate ones. They enjoyed them :hungry:

For those who say more kids are 'found' in summer ball than in high school ball, the truth there is if they can hit or pitch, the will be 'found' regardless. You would be surprised how many past and current MLB'ers came from Alaska.

Luckily for me, I have never had to choose. I have been able to enjoy both over the years. I am partial to high school baseball because the name on the front of the shirt means a little more than the one on the chest of the kids playing summer ball. But there are some great summer programs with some great supporters. I have seen some great baseball played in both the spring and summer....

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing like high school baseball. The games are full of meaning, you are playing to represent your team. The lack of talent makes the coach have to take a strategic approach to the lineup. You cant tell me that a district game is more important than a sundday morning game against the Rivercats at the sportspark on the Coke Zero Classic and the Sunday Morning Special. I agree that you can be found better in travel ball, but high school is much more intense and means more to the players and coaches.

Summer ball reminds me of NFL and college football weekends because its two days a week and the adrenaline is just incredible. School ball reminds me of Vietnam, going at it everyday grinding day in and day out. If you lose a man you just have to replace him. It's a fight to the death. And AMERICA always win! Ya USA! USA! USA!

Summer ball reminds me of NFL and college football weekends because its two days a week and the adrenaline is just incredible. School ball reminds me of Vietnam, going at it everyday grinding day in and day out. If you lose a man you just have to replace him. It's a fight to the death. And AMERICA always win! Ya USA! USA! USA!

I am not sure you can beat the grind of the High School season. It seems like you play 40 games in 50 days. The mental challenge of that is significant. Summer ball is a blast though. The only thing I have against it is "daddy ball." Once the boys get over 12 or so you need to back away and get a real coach in the summer.

From a different perspective, I am an umpire, and I enjoy the high school season much more. And fortunately, I have 2 more weeks including being in Murfreesboro.

Travel ball, for me, in the summers is very, very relaxed. Very enjoyable, too. The only bad thing is the heat.

Mine play AAA in high school so we see pretty good comp, and their team MJ is loaded with players. Both have their merits, but I think travel ball is more fun for me anyway. I think in school ball you tend to play for your school/team in travel ball it's more me/team

Still remember mine getting the varsity call-up 4 years ago as a freshman. Lots of starts, innings, and at bats since. Probably will stick with me more than the 15 years of coaching rec/travel ball. Except we're not done yet, so not looking ahead just yet to summer ball. Remember all those that didn't give SC a chance to get this far, 26-9.