Urban Private School Bullies

DeKalbsCoachK

You need to look at the entire athletic program including boys and girls sports. Your soccer team might be competitive playing at a higher level, but would it be at the expense of your other sports???

This is the point most don't get. The TSSAA world doesn't revolve around high school soccer. Hopefully, soccer will continue to grow to have enough A teams to split out from AA.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to look at the entire athletic program including boys and girls sports. Your soccer team might be competitive playing at a higher level, but would it be at the expense of your other sports???

No, because you would do it based on that one sport. If baseball moves up, then basketball can still be down.

So soccer could play in AAA but baseball could play in A.

Its not really all urban schools because other urban schools are atleast restricted to a certian area of population for example: If you said that student only came from a 30 mi. radius around Chattanooga Christian and used the population density of that area, there would be a far greater opportunity for quality soccer players than any of the largest urban high schools due to their zoning limitations. Also, the multiplier is a joke because it doesn't factor in population density either. However, this is not my arguement at all, I just was wondering why the really good private schools don't move up to AAA to compete at a higher level. If DeKalb County Soccer was a prerenial state contender, I like to think that I would move up to AAA. You are right, I could have left out "bullies" but what fun would that be?

DeKalb's population density - 57 people per square mile

Chattanooga's population density - 1,150 people per square mile.

I realize that some of Chattanooga's students will attend other schools in Chattanooga, but you must admit there is a big difference here. You should also consider that Chattanooga Christian and other private schools in metro areas will also receive students outside the city. I venture to say at times up to 50 miles away from the school's campus. So I believe that DeKalbsCoachK is trying to ask why are powerhouse private schools in the same region as rural teams? He is not trying to take away from Chat. Christian's win in no way, shape, form or fashion.

Its not really all urban schools because other urban schools are atleast restricted to a certian area of population for example: If you said that student only came from a 30 mi. radius around Chattanooga Christian and used the population density of that area, there would be a far greater opportunity for quality soccer players than any of the largest urban high schools due to their zoning limitations. Also, the multiplier is a joke because it doesn't factor in population density either. However, this is not my arguement at all, I just was wondering why the really good private schools don't move up to AAA to compete at a higher level. If DeKalb County Soccer was a prerenial state contender, I like to think that I would move up to AAA. You are right, I could have left out "bullies" but what fun would that be?

I see...if you were looking to create some fun then you accomplished the goal...lol

DeKalb's population density - 57 people per square mile

Chattanooga's population density - 1,150 people per square mile.

I realize that some of Chattanooga's students will attend other schools in Chattanooga, but you must admit there is a big difference here. You should also consider that Chattanooga Christian and other private schools in metro areas will also receive students outside the city. I venture to say at times up to 50 miles away from the school's campus. So I believe that DeKalbsCoachK is trying to ask why are powerhouse private schools in the same region as rural teams? He is not trying to take away from Chat. Christian's win in no way, shape, form or fashion.

But again, it comes back to a urban rural thing... a population argument.

But again, it comes back to a urban rural thing... a population argument.

BigG, that's the point! The reasons there are different divisions is to make it fair. Divisions are set in place to keep this kind of thing from happening. Why should private schools be treated any different? If we use population density to determine the regions then this issue would not come up.

BigG, that's the point! The reasons there are different divisions is to make it fair. Divisions are set in place to keep this kind of thing from happening. Why should private schools be treated any different? If we use population density to determine the regions then this issue would not come up.

So if you had a A/AA public school in a densely populated area, would you expect them to be moved up/out?

So if you had a A/AA public school in a densely populated area, would you expect them to be moved up/out?

CCS tied A/AA Signal Mtn, lost 2-1 to East Hamilton, A/AA, both public and urban this season. Kingsbury has dominated A/AA in Memphis the past couple of years, while Dyersburg has come on strong, dominating its district, both public. CCS lost to Alcoa 3 years ago at state, Knoxville public,faced Kingsbury, Memphis public, in finals last year. Urban-rural issue.

Another factor in density discussion. 18 high schools serve Hamilton County, and if surrounding schools in North Georgia and Cleveland are considered, the number increases. Schools like CCS and Notre Dame do not have a monopoly on the player pool.

This is fundamentally a development issue. 1)Urban centers maintain quality rec and club level programs. It is the root of East Hamilton's success as well as most of your programs in the DOD, along with CAK and Alcoa at A-AA level. Hume Fogg, MLK, and Page in Nashville region, along with Brentwood Ravenwood, Hendersonville, and other AAA programs. 2) Some schools offset club factor by developing a coherent middle and high school program that develops players. This has been key for the CCS program. Its roster is not populated with lots of club players. This is assumption. Team camps, rigourous off season strength and conditioning, quality preseason open field/conditioning, all play vital roles. These are not the sole perogative of private schools. Akula21 proved this at Alcoa. I imagine one would find high levels of commitment at E. Hamilton, Hume Fogg, and other traditionally strong public programs. Success varies by sport. Rural teams often do well in other sports, likely because the childrens' sports programs in the rural areas serve those sports.

Competition has been key for CCS. The same is true for ND. Bearden, Farragut, Maryville, Dalton and SE Whitfield out of N. Georgia, Hume Fogg, White House, CPA, McCallie, Baylor, Cleveland, and so forth.

Would a performance plan take into account graduation? CCS has 12 seniors, 8 last year, only a handful of rising seniors and juniors, or would we ask a young team to pay a hefty price at AAA level for previous team's success? Physical safety is issue when a coach has to put multiple freshmen and sophs on the field against the likes of Farragut, Bearden, Brentwood, and Ravenwood. I believe ND is at 9 in terms of seniors. The word rebuilding comes to mind. CCS has HS population of 450. They do not "reload" each year like large AAA schools.

Region issue is not a school issue. Urban schools do not mandate region teams. TSSAA designed. Schools like CCS, CAK, ND, East Hamilton, Kingsbury, MLK, and Hume Fogg do not make a plan to "bully" rural programs, but to compete with the best A-AA schools, public or private. In soccer, that generally means Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis, and increasingly the Tri-Cities region with Greenville (public).

CCS tied A/AA Signal Mtn, lost 2-1 to East Hamilton, A/AA, both public and urban this season. Kingsbury has dominated A/AA in Memphis the past couple of years, while Dyersburg has come on strong, dominating its district, both public. CCS lost to Alcoa 3 years ago at state, Knoxville public,faced Kingsbury, Memphis public, in finals last year. Urban-rural issue.

Another factor in density discussion. 18 high schools serve Hamilton County, and if surrounding schools in North Georgia and Cleveland are considered, the number increases. Schools like CCS and Notre Dame do not have a monopoly on the player pool.

This is fundamentally a development issue. 1)Urban centers maintain quality rec and club level programs. It is the root of East Hamilton's success as well as most of your programs in the DOD, along with CAK and Alcoa at A-AA level. Hume Fogg, MLK, and Page in Nashville region, along with Brentwood Ravenwood, Hendersonville, and other AAA programs. 2) Some schools offset club factor by developing a coherent middle and high school program that develops players. This has been key for the CCS program. Its roster is not populated with lots of club players. This is assumption. Team camps, rigourous off season strength and conditioning, quality preseason open field/conditioning, all play vital roles. These are not the sole perogative of private schools. Akula21 proved this at Alcoa. I imagine one would find high levels of commitment at E. Hamilton, Hume Fogg, and other traditionally strong public programs. Success varies by sport. Rural teams often do well in other sports, likely because the childrens' sports programs in the rural areas serve those sports.

Competition has been key for CCS. The same is true for ND. Bearden, Farragut, Maryville, Dalton and SE Whitfield out of N. Georgia, Hume Fogg, White House, CPA, McCallie, Baylor, Cleveland, and so forth.

Would a performance plan take into account graduation? CCS has 12 seniors, 8 last year, only a handful of rising seniors and juniors, or would we ask a young team to pay a hefty price at AAA level for previous team's success? Physical safety is issue when a coach has to put multiple freshmen and sophs on the field against the likes of Farragut, Bearden, Brentwood, and Ravenwood. I believe ND is at 9 in terms of seniors. The word rebuilding comes to mind. CCS has HS population of 450. They do not "reload" each year like large AAA schools.

Region issue is not a school issue. Urban schools do not mandate region teams. TSSAA designed. Schools like CCS, CAK, ND, East Hamilton, Kingsbury, MLK, and Hume Fogg do not make a plan to "bully" rural programs, but to compete with the best A-AA schools, public or private. In soccer, that generally means Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis, and increasingly the Tri-Cities region with Greenville (public).

I like your argument. I had also considered the graduation of a senior class in considering a move from one classification to another. This is the one area that I think separates using the relegation type program because obviously in the EPL you aren't losing most or your team then having to compete the next year. However, it seems like you could potentially put together a formula that works based on current classifications and takes into account exiting starting senior players. All conjecture right now until someone has the time to put more effort into it than me.

Tonight is the night! Good luck to all!

Rural public DeKalb County again faced the Chattanooga Private bullies. Chattanooga Christian played a great game last night, and physically out matched Dekalb. Chattanooga Christian is a soccer powerhouse. My only question is, why do they keep playing A-AA instead of going DII or moving up to AAA. Do they really get satisfaction from beating up on smaller rural public schools?

Considering DeKalb County received 7 yellow cards and 2 red cards and Chattanooga Christian received none; in light of the rude and threatening taunting from the DeKalb County fans directed at the referees, CCS players and CCS fans; and taking into account that at least two CCS players were injured during the course of play -- remind me again who the bullies were.

I would love to hear a explanation from the DeKalb County administration and coaching staff about what they consider good sportsmanship. Because it was sorely missing in Smithville last week. One can only hope that the TSSAA administration was made aware of the ugly situation from Monday night.

DeKalb County should have been proud of themselves this year. They were district champions against perennial power Livingston Academy and rising power Murfreesboro Central. But the second half of Monday's game is the lasting memory I will have of the DeKalb County squad.