Sean Karl Defeats Maxx Lipman For Region

bbb

For 70 minutes Tuesday afternoon, Wildwood Tennis Club in Brentwood was known as Kalamazoo South.

Two of the best tennis players in the nation in Boys 18s – Sean Karl (Ravenwood) and Maxx Lipmann (Brentwood) – traded high volume first serves, whistling forehands and accurate cross-court backhands in a battle for a spot in the quarterfinals of the BlueCross Spring Fling XIX state tournament next week in Murfreesboro.

Two-time defending state D-I AAA champion Karl prevailed, 6-4, 6-3 although he had to rally from an 0-3, two breaks down deficit in the second set.

Although both players are top 15 in the nation and plan to play in the national hard courts in Kalamazoo, Mich. (Aug. 3-12), only one can advance to the state since their schools are in the same district (11) and region (6).

“I was able to get a good percentage of my first serves in today (70%, 36 of 50) and I knew that was a key if I was going to win,†said Karl has won two of three meetings this season with Lipman.

First Set – 38 minutes: Both players held serve through the first nine games, but Karl, leading 5-4, broke Lipman in game 10 as the Brentwood junior hit wide down the line on a backhand at 15-40 to drop the set.

Karl made good on 20 of 26 first serves, while Lipman was 16 of 28 on first serve serves.

Karl had two opportunities to break, as Lipman served at deuce point (40-40 no add scoring) in game four and game eight.

In game four, Lipman hit a down the line winner at 40-40 after a big first serve set up the forehand shot. In game eight, Lipman was down 15-40, but had an overhead winner at 15-40 and had a service winner at 40-40 to take the game and even the set at 4-4.

Second Set – 30 minutes: Lipman broke Karl to open the set and again in the third game for a quick 3-0 lead. To win his serve in game 2, Lipman hit an accurate drop shot from the baseline that Karl was above to reach, but hit it long.

But Karl broke right back in game four in the start of winning six straight as Lipman only connected on one first serve.

“I was upset with myself for giving up a couple of games early and not converting on a couple of break points in game three,†Karl stated. “I knew I had to pull my game together and keep the ball in the court.â€

In game six, Lipman double faulted the last two points and Karl had evened the match at 3-3.

The Ravenwood junior served out the seventh game and ninth games at love sandwiched around another break of Lipman’s serve to win 6-3.

Karl won 24 of the final 28 points in the set.

“I played well early in the second set, but up 3-0 I let him off the hook,†said Lipman.

But Lipman can also take home a state championship as he and his teammates are one match away from the state tournament final four as they host Hendersonville Thursday in a quarterfinal match.

“To return to the state tournament and defend my title is important and I knew I had to go through Maxx to get there, since we are in the same district and region,†stated Karl who has lost only 13 games in six matches the past two years in the state singles.

“I don’t know of any other player in the state ranked in the top 20 nationally, so the winner today is without question the favorite to win the state,†said Brentwood coach Andy Veal.

Good friends since grade school, these two juniors will battle again this time next year in the district and region for a trip to the state.

“This was wonderful tennis today and a treat to watch,†said Ravenwood coach Matt Lacheta.

Good Doubles Partners: Karl and Lipman lost in the semis of Boys 18s doubles in the prestigious Easter Bowl in April.

Chattanooga TVOC: Karl and Lipman plan to play in the TVOC at Manker Patten, June 7-10

Match Stats:

Score: Sean Karl def. Maxx Lipman, 6-4, 6-3 … Region 6 singles title

First Serve Percentage: Sean Karl (36-50, 70%), Maxx Lipman (26-42, 62%)

Service Aces: Lipman, 2-0

Service Winners: 7-7

Break Point Opportunities and Converted: Kern (6-3); Lipman (2-2)

Contact B.B. Branton at [email protected]

also posted on chattanoogan.com

Edited by bbb