Reclassification

fblover

Maryville can have a kid pay $500.00 and live out of zone to play there.

This is incorrect information. I don't know if you intentionally put out incorrect information, which would be a credibility issue, or if you do not have the skills to find the correct information, which is more of a reliability issue. Either way, this makes me want to take a second look at other information you have put forth as being fact. :ph34r:

I echo what was said above. I think the privates should compete with each other and any open enrollment school should be classified with the privates as well. Alcoa and Maryville can have a kid pay $500.00 and live out of zone to play there. That is unfair. Let them play the Ensworths, MBA's, and BA's in my opinion. This work study is nothing but recruiting. I can tell you how it worked at MTCS. You let kids weedeat and get a nice little lump of cash. Then they pay it on the tuition. No paper trail whatsoever. I know at least one athlete that did this and paid very little tuition out of pocket. Now that is a shady way of giving a scholarship and we all know the other privates in the public classification do that all the time. Get them all out.

Also I would like to see Rutherord County split up some. It gets old putting each other out early in the playoffs.

Really?!! still with this BS. Get your facts straight.

The athlete from MTCS lived two doors down from me. It was a fact. The father had some severe health issues and the boy was going to have to withdraw and attend public school. He was very valuable to the athletic program at MTCS and the work/study was set up for him then to keep him there.

As for Maryville/ Alcoa reamrk made, I was told this directly from an Alcoa parent. That was how they would be able to live in Knoxville and attend Alcoa. So why would he lie? Maybe it is only for Alcoa then?

The athlete from MTCS lived two doors down from me. It was a fact. The father had some severe health issues and the boy was going to have to withdraw and attend public school. He was very valuable to the athletic program at MTCS and the work/study was set up for him then to keep him there.

As for Maryville/ Alcoa reamrk made, I was told this directly from an Alcoa parent. That was how they would be able to live in Knoxville and attend AlcoaM. So why would he lie? Maybe it is only for Alcoa then?

You're still wrong, but you can think what you want.

As for Maryville/ Alcoa reamrk made, I was told this directly from an Alcoa parent. That was how they would be able to live in Knoxville and attend Alcoa. So why would he lie? Maybe it is only for Alcoa then?

Hey 2priceless , I have a Buddy who has a Buddy who has a second Cousin that told me some real Juicy Stuff about Oakland High School ... wanna hear all about it ?

2priceless , I can't believe I actually thought you were a very intelligent , classy poster ... Guess Maryville brings out the "hater" in about everybody

You're still wrong, but you can think what you want.

The tuition for Maryville High School out of zone students in 2009/2010 was $2,200 per year. I'm sure it has gone up since then.

Here's a link. Click on the appropriate form for Maryville High and it explains it better than I can (towards the bottom of the page):

http://www.maryvillecityschools.k12.tn.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=13210&pagecat=92

You probably do have some juicy stuff about Oakland High. It is overrun these days with ex Riverdale coaches. I hear stuff that makes me cringe too.

I do not hate Maryville. However, I am not fond of Alcoa and most folk know why. I think Quarles is an excellent coach that has assembled a quality staff and program. No hate whatsoever. If my son was living in that area, I would probably pay for him to play there. I do think if you can pay to go there and play athletics whether it is $500.00 or 2 grand, you should be in the private sector. Any open enrollment program has an unfair advantage over the others . You are still paying to play. I would feel the exact same way were this Oakland doing it. Sorry if that ruffles some feathers.

Now maybe Alcoa makes you pay the $500.00 and their boosters foot the rest? :ph34r:

Edited by 2priceless
  • Upvote 1

For what it's worth, this is straight from the AHS website:

http://www.ahs.alcoaschools.net/Common/SchoolArea/HandbookPrint.asp?PolicyID=26201

"The tuition fee required of all students residing outside the boundaries for the 2011-2012 school year will be $500.00."

Thank you , sir for posting that to prove my case. I just put in a call to my buddy who still resides in Knoxville, and whose son played athletics at Alcoa but has graduated. He assured me that he was required to pay a $500.00 tuition to be out of zone all 4 years that his son played at Alcoa. So he paid 2 grand total.

Now while I apologize if Maryville's tuition is higher than $500.00, I was CORRECT about Alcoa's amount. Now seeing the difference, Maryville folk can figure out how Alcoa has been competitive with them for the last yrs since the rank Dog came on board.

AND I stand my ground thinking any school where a tuition can be paid to play athletics there should be moved to the private sector. BAMMMMM :roflol:

Edited by 2priceless

Tha hi kost ov goin' two Mairvul iz why that a lott ov pairunts hoo haiv 2 orr moore good athleets eye meen stewdunts... chews two rint orr moove entwo Mairvul and taik full addvantige ov tha xceelunt garbige servuss and tha xcellunt ackademicks....

Now a lott ov othur skools like Oke Gridge, Cleavlund, Dobbuns Bent-Hit, Cyunts Hill, Bristull, etc......aksept twoishun stewdunts....And eye'm shore thay gott sum good garbige haulurs ovur thair two....Butt eye ant heered ennybodee brang tham upp?????

And 2priceless eye 'stand my ground thankin' Oaklund's gott a advantige caws that gott moore kids thain Mairvul and moore boyz two chews frum.....

http://tssaa.org/Classifications/2009Classes.htm

:popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Thank you , sir for posting that to prove my case. I just put in a call to my buddy who still resides in Knoxville, and whose son played athletics at Alcoa but has graduated. He assured me that he was required to pay a $500.00 tuition to be out of zone all 4 years that his son played at Alcoa. So he paid 2 grand total.

Now while I apologize if Maryville's tuition is higher than $500.00, I was CORRECT about Alcoa's amount. Now seeing the difference, Maryville folk can figure out how Alcoa has been competitive with them for the last yrs since the rank Dog came on board.

AND I stand my ground thinking any school where a tuition can be paid to play athletics there should be moved to the private sector. BAMMMMM :roflol:

I have to disagree, some parents actually pay tuition due to the fact that their kids can receive a better education in those school systems. The difference is that the majority of their students are zoned for the school whereas at private schools everyone pays regardless of where they live.

I will admit that I have never heard of such a low tuition as what Alcoa has & that seems a little fishy. Especially since they are so good at this sport. I think the thing to do is check & see if this has always been the case or if for some reason they have lowered tuition cost.

My opinion, There should be a complete split from privates and publics & the do like Florida & have a rural/metro split in the public division. I think this would solve all complaints.