Reclassification

fblover

Glad I could help, 2priceless. I have to agree with you that $500 a year is definitely a bargain.

Also, in respose to the statement that "The difference is that the majority of their students are zoned for the school whereas at private schools everyone pays regardless of where they live." Wouldn't that be an advantage for the open enrollment public schools? They have a pool of kids that they will automatically get, whereas privates have to rely on tuition students to make up their entire enrollment. Private schools are already "penalized" for possessing the same advantage that open enrollment schools enjoy by being subject to the 1.8 multiplier. Furthermore, tuition for private schools can also be quite expensive, especially when compared to the $500 that Alcoa charges. If anyone has an advantage under this system, it's open enrollment schools.

Thank you , sir for posting that to prove my case. I just put in a call to my buddy who still resides in Knoxville, and whose son played athletics at Alcoa but has graduated. He assured me that he was required to pay a $500.00 tuition to be out of zone all 4 years that his son played at Alcoa. So he paid 2 grand total.

Now while I apologize if Maryville's tuition is higher than $500.00, I was CORRECT about Alcoa's amount. Now seeing the difference, Maryville folk can figure out how Alcoa has been competitive with them for the last yrs since the rank Dog came on board.

AND I stand my ground thinking any school where a tuition can be paid to play athletics there should be moved to the private sector. BAMMMMM :roflol:

I think you corrected your statement and some people owe you an apology.

The athlete from MTCS lived two doors down from me. It was a fact. The father had some severe health issues and the boy was going to have to withdraw and attend public school. He was very valuable to the athletic program at MTCS and the work/study was set up for him then to keep him there.

As for Maryville/ Alcoa reamrk made, I was told this directly from an Alcoa parent. That was how they would be able to live in Knoxville and attend Alcoa. So why would he lie? Maybe it is only for Alcoa then?

I would love to know when this boy played and what sports he played? Because it must have been covered up pretty well because things get around that school FAST.

Glad I could help, 2priceless. I have to agree with you that $500 a year is definitely a bargain.

Also, in respose to the statement that "The difference is that the majority of their students are zoned for the school whereas at private schools everyone pays regardless of where they live." Wouldn't that be an advantage for the open enrollment public schools? They have a pool of kids that they will automatically get, whereas privates have to rely on tuition students to make up their entire enrollment. Private schools are already "penalized" for possessing the same advantage that open enrollment schools enjoy by being subject to the 1.8 multiplier. Furthermore, tuition for private schools can also be quite expensive, especially when compared to the $500 that Alcoa charges. If anyone has an advantage under this system, it's open enrollment schools.

You can look at it that way or you can look at it as a disadvantage. They have to take everyone in their zone even if they don't play sports or aren't athletic or if they are on welfare & these students increase their enrollment.

Private schools don't have to take just anyone & they won't take the welfare students, but they will take the ones that can afford personal trainers to prepare for every sport they wish to play.

If my son was living in that area, I would probably pay for him to play there. I do think if you can pay to go there and play athletics whether it is $500.00 or 2 grand, you should be in the private sector. Any open enrollment program has an unfair advantage over the others . You are still paying to play. :ph34r:

You pay tuition to attend school. Then you have to keep your grades up, or you are gone. They don't let the few tuition students that we have drag our average test scores down. If you are a student in good standing, you are allowed to try out for football. There is still no guarantee that you will play. The roster is very deep.

We have two other schools in the county where you can attend without paying any tuition at all. No $500.00 payment like Alcoa or the $2,200 like Maryville. These schools charge zero tuition. One is named William Blount and the other is called Heritage. I even know of some students that live in Sevier County and go to Heritage in Blount County. I know of students that live in Blount County that go to Greenback. There are students who live in Blount County that go to Seymour. That will put us at about 12 Classifications. :ph34r:

Edited by Red Rebels

You pay tuition to attend school. Then you have to keep your grades up, or you are gone. They don't let the few tuition students that we have drag our average test scores down. If you are a student in good standing, you are allowed to try out for football. There is still no guarantee that you will play. The roster is very deep.

We have two other schools in the county where you can attend without paying any tuition at all. No $500.00 payment like Alcoa or the $2,200 like Maryville. These schools charge zero tuition. One is named William Blount and the other is called Heritage. I even know of some students that live in Sevier County and go to Heritage in Blount County. I know of students that live in Blount County that go to Greenback. There are students who live in Blount County that go to Seymour. That will put us at about 12 Classifications. :ph34r:

Don't you think we have to keep our kids grades up too along with our test scores? At one time Oakland had over 67% free lunch kids and got on target. No other Rutherford County school was halfway close to that number. I believe the school 3 miles down called siegel had 13%. Now you tell me that wasn't some shiftiness in the zones. But we overcame it all and still won the state. So forgive me if I don't feel sorry for you and your lil tuition priveleged ATHLETES!

Do you really think all of those kids got the support they needed at home to help them study?

If you can afford to pay 2 grand in tuition and then pay to provide transportation to said school, you can pay for a DANG tutor to help your kid. Those paying the decreased amount of 500, can really rack up an expensive tutor. Rank Dog knew what he was doing didn't he?? He is a slippery one.

Maryville had tuition students from 1988-1996 also. I saw a lot of 5-5 seasons during that time. If all it took was tuition students why did Maryville only win 1 playoff game from 1988-1996?

95% of the reason Maryville is winning so much right now is George Quarles and his great staff. The Maryville staff is by far the best coaching staff I ever saw. I saw a great staff at Maryville in the 70s and early 80s with Ted Wilson,Don Story and Lynn Brown being the main guys. Ted Wilson led Maryville to titles in 1970,1976 and 1978. As great as Ted Wilson and his staff were they can't hold a candle to the current staff. I think George Quarles and his staff are the best in Tennessee and one of the best in the country. I wouldn't trade Maryville's football coaching staff for no one elses.

People talk about Tuition and Maryville a lot. What I see a lot from Maryville is a bunch of hardnosed tough kids. I saw Maryville win state with a 195 lbs LT, A 200 lbs center and a RT that went 175 lbs. That same year our LB corps were all 5'7. Overachievers is what Maryville football player are.

Edited by REBELRON

Don't you think we have to keep our kids grades up too along with our test scores? At one time Oakland had over 67% free lunch kids and got on target. No other Rutherford County school was halfway close to that number. I believe the school 3 miles down called siegel had 13%. Now you tell me that wasn't some shiftiness in the zones. But we overcame it all and still won the state. So forgive me if I don't feel sorry for you and your lil tuition priveleged ATHLETES!

Do you really think all of those kids got the support they needed at home to help them study?

If you can afford to pay 2 grand in tuition and then pay to provide transportation to said school, you can pay for a DANG tutor to help your kid. Those paying the decreased amount of 500, can really rack up an expensive tutor. Rank Dog knew what he was doing didn't he?? He is a slippery one.

Listen bro, the world isn't fair. Everybody isn't the same. The core talent of Alcoa's program has always come from 3 streets about a mile, maybe two, from the high school. Do they get an occasional tuition student that makes a difference? I am sure they do. But you name one of the Alcoa players that have gone on to play in the SEC in the last few years and the overwhelming majority of them were from the previously discussed area.

As for Maryville, all the kids that you think they have that are tuition students moved to the school zone. Why have they shifted the entire populations that makes up the school district? Because they are running out of room. This isn't caused by 1000's of tuition students. Rutherford county isn't the only area of the state of Tennessee that experiences growth. To be a tuition student at Maryville city schools you better be under the age of 10, because that is the only way you are going to make it in.

Sorry man life isn't always fair. Alcoa may charge $500 in tuition, but 3 streets less than a couple miles from the school have put as many kids into the SEC and NFL as you are ever going to find in any area of the state.

Riverdanceron chases cats

Boom! Roasted!

Edited by qb#7

Could you post Randall Cobb's address for me? Then post that three mile graph you are talking about so I can make sure he is within it.

I never said that life was fair. I am a fighter for the underdogs. Every single time. All I want to see is if you are going to get tution students that you either are moved to privates or you have to use the multiplier. That gives everyone the same advantage.