10A Outlook

WHH

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations this year to JB, HC, WHH, ER and McEwen way to play tough football this year with your own team not a bought team.

Is somebody a bit jealous of NCS and CA's success this year? Jo Byrns dominated the district for years. It's not like CA and NCS have dominated district 10-A in any sports in 10-A, much less football. These schools certainly don't offer scholarships or pay people to go there. In fact, just the opposite: parents make the CHOICE to send them there, and in many cases, work extra jobs and make huge sacrifices in their families budgets to do it.

Lately, CA has grown by leaps and bounds in enrollment across all grades. Clarksville is the ninth fastest growing city in the USA, and as such, a lot of folks new to town check out all of their education options, and many of them pick CA. I suspect you will see ground broken on new buildings at CA soon to accomodate the bursting enrollment.

Additionally, the Clarksville Montgomery County school system frequently rezones school districts, and uproots students from their current school to a new one. And right or wrong, the public education system has taken a beating in the media for a few years over "teaching to the TCAAP" and failure to discipline disruptive students. Many parents feel that NCS and CA have more flexibility in managing the classroom and curriculum than is afforded to the public schools. Incidentally, the 2012 graduating class at CA had 51 students, and the received $4.8 million in college scholarship offers. Some people consider that a pretty good return on their tuition investment.

On the football field, CA has hired what is regarded as the best coaching staff in Montgomery County, and people have taken notice. District 10-A thought pretty highly of them as well, naming them the "10-A coaching staff of the year" last season (2011). I know coach Brothers at NCS is an excellent coach and has a great reputation in the middle Tennessee region as well. He brought instant credibility and success to NCS, and if you know coach Brothers, you would want your own son to play for him. When Coach Hood arrived at CA and coach Brothers arrived at NCS, both teams immediately became competitive in 10-A football, and both are highly respected programs and coaching staffs in the area.

CA also showcases a very nice football experience on Friday night. How? Because our parents volunteer to paint the field, set it up before the game, run the PA, sound system, website, and support their students. The school is out enmasse on Friday nights with tents set up, cooking out before the game and kids playing everywhere. We also have the finest field in the county, because of the dedication of the volunteer parents who support the team by painting the field each week. But I don't have to tell you about our Friday night atmosphere, because you have seen it first hand.

If you were moving to Clarksville, wouldn't you be interested in being a part of that educational, athletic, and community atmosphere? If you were at another school in Clarksville, or Nashville, and you felt CA or NCS was a better choice for your child, wouldn't you at least consider it? Maybe, maybe not, but many folks are making that choice.

Congratulations to CA and NCS for their 1-2 finish in 10-A football this season. Good luck to all 10-A teams in the playoffs!!!!!

Not jealous. Just stating the truth. All private schools should be in a class of their own. Sounds like your a little on the defensive side.

Defensive? You bet! I was defensive because I thought you were accusing CA and NCS of cheating; I did not understand you were just making a statement that private schools should be in a separate class. I'm glad to know you are not accusing CA and NCS of cheating.

There is a board just for the private/public debate, as Moto pointed out. I won't debate the public/private issue here, and you probably should refrain from posting your thoughts on it here as well. My apology to you Watkinsfan for misinterpreting your post on public/private.

Edited by monoptn

Good luck to all 10A teams district was much improved from top to bottom this season!

Are you serious! Bottom maybe improved a bit but this district at the top is as weak as I have ever seen it. They will compete well in their own quadrant but once they have to face the other quadrants it will be ugly!

Is somebody a bit jealous of NCS and CA's success this year? Jo Byrns dominated the district for years. It's not like CA and NCS have dominated district 10-A in any sports in 10-A, much less football. These schools certainly don't offer scholarships or pay people to go there. In fact, just the opposite: parents make the CHOICE to send them there, and in many cases, work extra jobs and make huge sacrifices in their families budgets to do it.

Lately, CA has grown by leaps and bounds in enrollment across all grades. Clarksville is the ninth fastest growing city in the USA, and as such, a lot of folks new to town check out all of their education options, and many of them pick CA. I suspect you will see ground broken on new buildings at CA soon to accomodate the bursting enrollment.

Additionally, the Clarksville Montgomery County school system frequently rezones school districts, and uproots students from their current school to a new one. And right or wrong, the public education system has taken a beating in the media for a few years over "teaching to the TCAAP" and failure to discipline disruptive students. Many parents feel that NCS and CA have more flexibility in managing the classroom and curriculum than is afforded to the public schools. Incidentally, the 2012 graduating class at CA had 51 students, and the received $4.8 million in college scholarship offers. Some people consider that a pretty good return on their tuition investment.

On the football field, CA has hired what is regarded as the best coaching staff in Montgomery County, and people have taken notice. District 10-A thought pretty highly of them as well, naming them the "10-A coaching staff of the year" last season (2011). I know coach Brothers at NCS is an excellent coach and has a great reputation in the middle Tennessee region as well. He brought instant credibility and success to NCS, and if you know coach Brothers, you would want your own son to play for him. When Coach Hood arrived at CA and coach Brothers arrived at NCS, both teams immediately became competitive in 10-A football, and both are highly respected programs and coaching staffs in the area.

CA also showcases a very nice football experience on Friday night. How? Because our parents volunteer to paint the field, set it up before the game, run the PA, sound system, website, and support their students. The school is out enmasse on Friday nights with tents set up, cooking out before the game and kids playing everywhere. We also have the finest field in the county, because of the dedication of the volunteer parents who support the team by painting the field each week. But I don't have to tell you about our Friday night atmosphere, because you have seen it first hand.

If you were moving to Clarksville, wouldn't you be interested in being a part of that educational, athletic, and community atmosphere? If you were at another school in Clarksville, or Nashville, and you felt CA or NCS was a better choice for your child, wouldn't you at least consider it? Maybe, maybe not, but many folks are making that choice.

Congratulations to CA and NCS for their 1-2 finish in 10-A football this season. Good luck to all 10-A teams in the playoffs!!!!!

Went to watch CA last night at McEwen because I wanted to see how good they really were. Pretty good team and Coach Hood is a good football coach. However, he has very little class and it reflected bad on his program. They jumped on McEwen early and never let up which I don't have a problem with. McEwen I do not believe crossed the 50 in the first half, if they did it was barely.

But the worst part came with CA up 38-0 with under 3 minutes in the 1st half. McEwen has the ball and is just running it to get to the half. On 3rd down Coach Hood calls time out trying to get the ball back. This is after the clock judge had let about 10 seconds run off with about 5 minutes left and CA called a timeout to complain about the 10 seconds and asked for time to be put back on the clock. Once CA got the ball back late after McEwen punted they are throwing it and obviously trying to score. CA calls timeout again with under 10 seconds left and throws a deep pattern to score as time runs off to go up 45-0 at half.

This would not have been a problem if the subs were in but the starters were still in slinging it. All this also after I was standing on the CA sideline, CA up 30 something to 0, and I hear Coach Hood say we are going to score as a many as we can as often as we can and not call the dogs off. Not very classy for a coaching staff on a night when they were clearly the better team.

It was bad enough that in the 2nd half I was in the press box and I heard the Clarksville radio station announcer tell the McEwen folks ... guys I'm sorry I just do the radio I'm not affiliated with the school or football program.

Again, Coach Hood is a good football coach but didn't show me much else last night. That having been said they'll have a tough 2nd round match against a team that is playing very good right now, NCS, who has a very good coach and team as well. I am o course assuming NCS beats McEwen in the first round next week. After that I think 10A will struggle if they play anyone but their own district. 10A is as weak as it has been in sometime.

Went to watch CA last night at McEwen because I wanted to see how good they really were. Pretty good team and Coach Hood is a good football coach. However, he has very little class and it reflected bad on his program. They jumped on McEwen early and never let up which I don't have a problem with. McEwen I do not believe crossed the 50 in the first half, if they did it was barely.

But the worst part came with CA up 38-0 with under 3 minutes in the 1st half. McEwen has the ball and is just running it to get to the half. On 3rd down Coach Hood calls time out trying to get the ball back. This is after the clock judge had let about 10 seconds run off with about 5 minutes left and CA called a timeout to complain about the 10 seconds and asked for time to be put back on the clock. Once CA got the ball back late after McEwen punted they are throwing it and obviously trying to score. CA calls timeout again with under 10 seconds left and throws a deep pattern to score as time runs off to go up 45-0 at half.

This would not have been a problem if the subs were in but the starters were still in slinging it. All this also after I was standing on the CA sideline, CA up 30 something to 0, and I hear Coach Hood say we are going to score as a many as we can as often as we can and not call the dogs off. Not very classy for a coaching staff on a night when they were clearly the better team.

It was bad enough that in the 2nd half I was in the press box and I heard the Clarksville radio station announcer tell the McEwen folks ... guys I'm sorry I just do the radio I'm not affiliated with the school or football program.

Again, Coach Hood is a good football coach but didn't show me much else last night. That having been said they'll have a tough 2nd round match against a team that is playing very good right now, NCS, who has a very good coach and team as well. I am o course assuming NCS beats McEwen in the first round next week. After that I think 10A will struggle if they play anyone but their own district. 10A is as weak as it has been in sometime.

Coach Hood and his staff have nothing but class. They are smart enough to know that you can still lose the game until the end of the 4th quarter. Remember our game against HC. He is trying to get the score to the 35 point spread as soon as he can, so that the second half can go to continuous clock. McEwen is a dangerous team that can put up some points and make a game out of it anytime. So, if you hear him say, he wants his team to score as many points as they can, its because he is trying to ensure victory. Not run up the score on another team. Most of our starters were out in the second half. He was only able to do that because the team had a comfortable margin at the half.

When we were getting beat down by Portland, we didn't whine and complain about it. That's how the game is played within the rules that we have. They were a 5A team with more depth and more athletes than we had. Portland made the 5A playoffs coming out of a tough district. They did what they had to do, and so does Clarksville Academy.

I am proud that my son plays for Coach Hood and his staff. They are coaching a program that some said would never have success. They get the absolute most out of their players. Above all Coach Hood has made them believe that they can win if they work hard enough and give their best effort every week. To me that is class.