2012 pre-season discussion, Transfers, Coaching changes and Rumors

chattanoogachoker

Ive sat and watched these boards for years. Ive noticed over the last few years we have lost many of the best posters of all time. This past year the greatest of all time BCB moth-balled his keyboard for good. We need someone to step up and try and carry on the work of the legends that came before us. I am going to attempt to be that man. While Im no poet or even that smart I do know one thing and thats WRASSLIN. Im going to keep things real and call it like I see it. That little intro aside lets get down to the nitty gritty.

Coaching Changes- wow, this off season has seen some major moves. The legend Steve Henry steps down at Soddy and passes the torch to Jim Higgins while long time assistant/ middle/ club coach Rabbit Turner joins his brother at Red Bank. How is this going to affect Soddy this year? What about in the future? On to change #2. Eric Phillips steps aside for up-comer Jake Yost. How will this affect Cleveland this year and in upcoming seasons. I have my opinion on these matters but I will wait until everyone else posts theirs.

Also you have long time Tn coach Johnny Lennon taking over at Central. Can they win a third small school duals title in a row or has their luck ran out? Hixson and Pigeon Forge should be tough.

In yet another coaching move long time Notre dame assistant Tim Voiles hung up his whistle and sailed off for pats unknown. Will Notre Dame keep sliding down the list of relevant wrestling schools now that bcb junior and Mullins have graduated?

Transfers- Well we all know about the Tate Robinson to Baylor move. Will he be eligible?What will this do to their line-up as they have several good kids all about the same size. Im hearing mixed reviews. Will this be enough for the red leggers to win another state title if he is? There is also another big move nobody is mentioning. Cleveland has added a transfer from our southern neighbor and home of Lake Winnie. Ethan West who I believe is a sophmore or junior has transfered. He is a big kid that can throw down from what Ive been told. Can he upset Soddys 2x runner up Blake Henry? Should be interesting.

Edited by chattanoogachoker

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might have already been said, but I thought I would throw it out there again... Has anyone else noticed that nearly 1/2 of Baylor's team is transfers? How do they manage to get ALL of the transfers...? Is it recruiting or what? Just saying everyone always seems to pat Baylor on their back for their wrestling dominance,,, when you have that many quality transfers they should be even more successful than they have been. Father Ryan particularly has always been able to pride themselves in developing the talent they have from a young age starting with the Nashville Catholic Wrestling program. With the exception on Michael Hooker, who came to Ryan without being recruited, I can't think of a wrestler our program has sought after granted we still are able to compete and often hold the upper hand on a team that does. The TSSAA needs to deal with this issue sooner rather than later as it seems to be getting out of hand ... numbers dont lie... see for yourself.

Murphy-McCallie

Powell-Knoxville

Holloway-Knoxville

Canada-Heritage

Brunner-Tullahoma

Robinson-Christian Bros

Southerland-Central

Clements-McCallie

That's EIGHT starters from their line up that originally came from other schools... ABSURDITY!

As always, no hard feelings to my friends from Chattanugga thumb[1].gif Go Irish!

Nashwrestling, Murphy, Sutherland, Dendy and Powell all enrolled at Baylor before high school. So I'm not sure what you are deeming a "transfer". Before 3rd grade? In addition Powell is from Chattanooga not Knoxville as his older brother wrestled for 4 years at Silverdale Academy.

Edited by russianbear

And this is a new phenomenon? If you have been watching Chattanooga or TN wrestling for a while it has always been this way. Baylor gets the majority of its top wrestlers from other middle school programs, other high school, other cities and often other states. They play by a different set of rules due to being a boarding school. The strangest thing is that everyone let's them and then complains/whines about it??? If you don't like it, pressure your school to vote to change the rule about letting kids going to a boarding school transfer without sitting out a year and it will conclude some of their more agregious pilfering of other teams talent. Also like other states vote to not let the boarding schools play, make them go to the national prep tournaments. Otherwise, no whining when you wake up next week without your returning 106 lb state champion because he went to Baylor for a better offer.

Baylor has one of the strongest wrestling traditions in the state, but they do get talent from alot of different places. Great school, great tradition, good academics and student athletes from across the southeast region and farther--them's the facts!

Edited by mocs2011

Ive sat and watched these boards for years. Ive noticed over the last few years we have lost many of the best posters of all time. This past year the greatest of all time BCB moth-balled his keyboard for good. We need someone to step up and try and carry on the work of the legends that came before us. I am going to attempt to be that man. While Im no poet or even that smart I do know one thing and thats WRASSLIN. Im going to keep things real and call it like I see it. That little intro aside lets get down to the nitty gritty.

Coaching Changes- wow, this off season has seen some major moves. The legend Steve Henry steps down at Soddy and passes the torch to Jim Higgins while long time assistant/ middle/ club coach Rabbit Turner joins his brother at Red Bank. How is this going to affect Soddy this year? What about in the future? On to change #2. Eric Phillips steps aside for up-comer Jake Yost. How will this affect Cleveland this year and in upcoming seasons. I have my opinion on these matters but I will wait until everyone else posts theirs.

Also you have long time Tn coach Johnny Lennon taking over at Central. Can they win a third small school duals title in a row or has their luck ran out? Hixson and Pigeon Forge should be tough.

In yet another coaching move long time Notre dame assistant Tim Voiles hung up his whistle and sailed off for pats unknown. Will Notre Dame keep sliding down the list of relevant wrestling schools now that bcb junior and Mullins have graduated?

Transfers- Well we all know about the Tate Robinson to Baylor move. Will he be eligible?What will this do to their line-up as they have several good kids all about the same size. Im hearing mixed reviews. Will this be enough for the red leggers to win another state title if he is? There is also another big move nobody is mentioning. Cleveland has added a transfer from our southern neighbor and home of Lake Winnie. Ethan West who I believe is a sophmore or junior has transfered. He is a big kid that can throw down from what Ive been told. Can he upset Soddys 2x runner up Blake Henry? Should be interesting.

Voiles will still be assistant coach for NDs wrestling program - he will just no longer be teaching there. Losing Jack and Grayson will hurt but I actually think ND could be a stronger team this year than last. Grayson's cousins Packy and Lucus will now be carrying the Mullin toarch and both will be very strong this year. Lastly, ND is stronger and deeper in the big weights than they have been in a long time

I think it might have already been said, but I thought I would throw it out there again... Has anyone else noticed that nearly 1/2 of Baylor's team is transfers? How do they manage to get ALL of the transfers...? Is it recruiting or what? Just saying everyone always seems to pat Baylor on their back for their wrestling dominance,,, when you have that many quality transfers they should be even more successful than they have been. Father Ryan particularly has always been able to pride themselves in developing the talent they have from a young age starting with the Nashville Catholic Wrestling program. With the exception on Michael Hooker, who came to Ryan without being recruited, I can't think of a wrestler our program has sought after granted we still are able to compete and often hold the upper hand on a team that does. The TSSAA needs to deal with this issue sooner rather than later as it seems to be getting out of hand ... numbers dont lie... see for yourself.

Murphy-McCallie

Powell-Knoxville

Holloway-Knoxville

Canada-Heritage

Brunner-Tullahoma

Robinson-Christian Bros

Southerland-Central

Clements-McCallie

That's EIGHT starters from their line up that originally came from other schools... ABSURDITY!

As always, no hard feelings to my friends from Chattanugga thumb[1].gif Go Irish!

I would be willing to bet, that over half the the talent that goes to Father Ryan, are not even Catholic!!!! So be careful who you are calling out.