2012 pre-season discussion, Transfers, Coaching changes and Rumors

chattanoogachoker

Haha...and Jed Hussein (GA), Mike Bell (AL), Chance and Cole Hayes (Knoxville), Brandon Brunner (Tullahoma), this list could go on for a long time. Several of these guys had already placed or won state before transfering to Baylor. Several were national level middle school wrestlers from other areas of the state before deciding on Baylor.

Can't knock any of these wrestlers or their parents for the decision they made, but to argue the playing field is level is ridiculous. I agree with nashwrestling, Baylor really may have underperformed considering the advantage that all the rest of us sheep have given them. If Baylor wants to recruit across the state and region and have an unfair advantage due to the transfer rule, go join the National Prep Tournament that Blair has now won like 32 years in a row. See if you can unseat them. That would be an incredible accomplishment.

Jed Hussein had never wrestled before coming to Baylor and was not from Georgia.

Edited by mtnrasslin

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why stop at one year of eligibility?. After all, every year they are at a boarding school they are out of their government school zone. Is it "fair" that they ever compete? Should we not punish those kids with ineligibility to keep it fair for the rest of us?

Its one year of eligibility because those are the rule that everyone else lives by. Otherwise, you get what we have, where one school recruits/buys wrestlers from other programs. If those wrestlers wanted to be at Baylor decide that as 7th or 8th graders otherwise like everyone else, you should be ineligible for a year.

mocs2011, you are missing the point. Baylor does not go out and recruit these kids. The parents contact Baylor because they want whats best for their kids. Is Baylor supposed to turn them down because they have won wrestling matches? Should Soddy , Cleveland, McCallie turn away kids who want to go to their schools because of the wrestling programs?

Lol, keep drinking that red kool-aid. I have watched the Baylor parents, alumni and boosters make the rounds at our local middle school tournaments and encourage wrestlers (some local, some not) to consider Baylor. Its all about recruiting and "yes" I have even gotten that from discussions with one of their past coaches. I really don't have a problem with it and cannot blame parents or wrestlers for choosing a great school. The problem I have is fans like you that don't think this is the case and believe the playing field is level. Also the rest of us that sit here in east TN and take it.

Blair Academy is one of the nation's top teams and they are looking for the best talent in the nation to wrestle at the National Prep Tournament. Don't hide it, just admit it and take your game to that level. For the rest of us, not paying $40k plus a year in tuition/boarding (likely because no offered to pay it for us), let us compete in the TN state against TN wrestlers, not guys whose parents and families still live in GA or other states. Those are the rules in NJ, OH and many other states.

Let it go. If you have the cash you can buy the best. It's the American way. The idea that Baylor (or Cleveland, Soddy, Bradley, or anyone else) doesn't "recruit" is silly. It may not be official but it is done. It is done by parents, club coaches, Kids club coaches, at camps, on national teams, and anywhere else the chance arises. Whether it is free tuition, a rental house to live in, a job for mom and/or dad, or just a better team, kids are recruited. Baylor (and the rest of DII) play by different rules, and that's why they are in a separate division. The argument that "it's what's best for the kid" is a moot point. I don't think anyone would argue against a parent doing what is best for their child. Rules are made for what is best for ALL kids and to try and keep they playing field as level as possible. This horse has been beat to death for years.

Lol, keep drinking that red kool-aid. I have watched the Baylor parents, alumni and boosters make the rounds at our local middle school tournaments and encourage wrestlers (some local, some not) to consider Baylor. Its all about recruiting and "yes" I have even gotten that from discussions with one of their past coaches. I really don't have a problem with it and cannot blame parents or wrestlers for choosing a great school. The problem I have is fans like you that don't think this is the case and believe the playing field is level. Also the rest of us that sit here in east TN and take it.

Blair Academy is one of the nation's top teams and they are looking for the best talent in the nation to wrestle at the National Prep Tournament. Don't hide it, just admit it and take your game to that level. For the rest of us, not paying $40k plus a year in tuition/boarding (likely because no offered to pay it for us), let us compete in the TN state against TN wrestlers, not guys whose parents and families still live in GA or other states. Those are the rules in NJ, OH and many other states.

RIGHT!!!!

Jed Hussein had never wrestled before coming to Baylor and was not from Georgia.

Yeah, I have heard that before--so what? It was pretty obvious that he was an incredible athlete with a ton of potential. Also I believe he had a brother that was a successful wrestler in another state.

Its one year of eligibility because those are the rule that everyone else lives by. Otherwise, you get what we have, where one school recruits/buys wrestlers from other programs. If those wrestlers wanted to be at Baylor decide that as 7th or 8th graders otherwise like everyone else, you should be ineligible for a year.

Seems most of the b$tching about Baylor comes from public school folks. Not sure what the reason is because what Baylor does really doesn't affect public schools. I may be wrong but I don't recall other private schools complaining on here about the 2 boarding schools. If it either doesn't bother them or they can live with the situation why does it matter so much to D-1 schools? If you don't think your school can compete with Baylor, don't schedule them.

Seems most of the b$tching about Baylor comes from public school folks. Not sure what the reason is because what Baylor does really doesn't affect public schools. I may be wrong but I don't recall other private schools complaining on here about the 2 boarding schools. If it either doesn't bother them or they can live with the situation why does it matter so much to D-1 schools? If you don't think your school can compete with Baylor, don't schedule them.

I agree.

Seems to me that no matter where a person ends up wrestling, they are still on the mat against an individual. The argument is about team scores. It is truly interesting that a school district or school takes a position of ownership of a student, based on their talent or precieved talent in sports. So this is about schools and trophy cases, not about student athletes.

Nashwrestling from a purple D2 school in Nashville started by calling out the red. How about level the playing field a bit or just leave the TSSAA if you're going to recruit like a prep school. I think this would help D1 schools that have been the victims and D2 schools that don't have the boarding school option.

No the problem is not from all public schools, its from schools like Father Ryan, Cleveland and Bradley that can't beat Baylor. Don't punish the students build your program as good as they have and beat them on the mat. Don't hate the program build your to beat them. Thanks from a public school dad.

I'll weigh in on this one. While I have many Baylor friends, they are a prep school with a boarding option and would be better served competing against those schools. That would help them out from a competition standpoint allowing more trips to tournaments like the Clash and eliminate the complaints from others in TN about recruiting and out-of-state wrestlers.

Also good to see maj is still keeping his eye on TN wrestling. ;)

No the problem is not from all public schools, its from schools like Father Ryan, Cleveland and Bradley that can't beat Baylor. Don't punish the students build your program as good as they have and beat them on the mat. Don't hate the program build your to beat them. Thanks from a public school dad.

Who from Father Ryan, Cleveland or Bradley Central is complaining? Bradley Central refused to wrestle any Tennessee D2 schools for a number of years but I am not sure that is their current policy. Cleveland has competed well with the D2 private schools and to my knowledge never backed away from good competition. Why would Father Ryan complain about Baylor when they have defeated the Red Raiders while winning several state championships over the past decade. You may want to do some reasearch before posting or do you just like to throw BS against the wall and see what sticks?

Edited by cbg