2nd round lewis county losers

THECOLONEL

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You let your mouth overload your rearend. Lewis County has played in more than just the first round. You sound like a disgruntled player who must have been a bench warmer. Why not try to pump up your school instead of putting it down. Me and Bubba would love to be back just playing. Lewis County is a great program and if people don't like it then take a hike.

tc

Coach Sharp and the panthers have not done well over the past 10 years. They have only been to the playoffs 10 years in a roll. Coach Sharp has lead his team to 21 playoff games during that period. They have only won 8 games 4 of those years, 9 games 2 years, 10 games 2 years and 12 games 2 years. There are four rounds of playoffs leading to the champ. game and Sharp has led his teams 3 deep only 3 times in 10 years, 2 deep 5 years and they have been put out in the first round 2 times in 10 years. If Sharp doesn't win the championship this year they should get someone who misses the playoffs every fourth year or so everyone can know what it is like not to play a first round game of the playoffs. Boy I bet those 8 of 10 years of getting past the first round would look great then. So tighten up Coach Sharp. ;)

Guest checkerboard
Posted by ddaddy:

Coach Sharp and the panthers have not done well over the past 10 years. They have only been to the playoffs 10 years in a roll. Coach Sharp has lead his team to 21 playoff games during that period. They have only won 8 games 4 of those years, 9 games 2 years, 10 games 2 years and 12 games 2 years. There are four rounds of playoffs leading to the champ. game and Sharp has led his teams 3 deep only 3 times in 10 years, 2 deep 5 years and they have been put out in the first round 2 times in 10 years. If Sharp doesn't win the championship this year they should get someone who misses the playoffs every fourth year or so everyone can know what it is like not to play a first round game of the playoffs. Boy I bet those 8 of 10 years of getting past the first round would look great then. So tighten up Coach Sharp. :o

I think Lewis County has a good history of playing above average football with above average teams. The major gripe is that they have never made it to The Show. They seem to be subconsciously satisfied with just getting to the playoffs. I know that a bunch of the die-hards are going to read this and start spewing venom, but y'all know I'm right. Most sensible people in Lewis county mark this as the biggest problem they have with this program. All around Lewis county, you see State Champions and Mr. or Miss. Basketball or Football honorees, but nothing for Lewis county. Perry county has won 6 state championships in boys basketball, Summertown has won the State in boys baseball, Wayne county girls basketball has won 1 (but should have won several) State, Clifton girls baskeball has won a State, Columbia Academy in boys baseball, Lawrence county in girls basketball, Hickman county in girls basketball, Collinwood in girls basketball, Loretto in girls basketball, and even Summertown in girls doubles tennis. Perry county has 2 Mr. Basketball honorees, Hickman county has a Miss Basketball, Collinwood has a Mr. Football (and Jon Ward will likely win this year), Wayne County has a Miss Basketball, Lawrence county has a Miss Basketball, and I'm almost certain that Columbia Central has had a Mr. Football, but I can't say for sure because I'm doing this from memory.

Be honest, how many times have you watched Lewis county get beaten by a team that was better prepared or had more heart? As I posted at the first of the season, the difference between champions and also-rans is expecting to win and hoping to win.

I am a fan of Lewis county football, but I reserve the right to be critical. Part of the problem lies with the Wing T. I don't like it because it relies more on deception than putting the ball in the hands of the talent. There are several Lewis county football fans who share my belief. The other part of the problem lies with the 4-4 defense. Ezell-Harding would beat Lewis county by 40 with their pass-happy offense. Luckily for Lewis county, the only team that tried to pass was Lawrence county and they weren't a very good team. And before the naysayers start tuning up, ask yourselves if you don't think Lewis county would be a better team with a different offense. Lewis county wins because it has better players and the opposition doesn't have the talent to shut down the middle and the ends. Lewis county always loses in the playoffs because they run up against a team that DOES have the talent to shut down the middle and the ends. A different look on offense would stir things up for the opposing defense. Imagine what one of those West Tennessee teams would think if they saw a Pro-Set, an empty backfield or Sharp lined up in the shotgun with Daly lined up beside him.

Guest 80YARDDRIVE

Checkerboard you are a genuis. Lewis Co. should run a different offense and defense in each and every game! Who needs consistency? I know the rest of the region would love to see the panthers in a spread offense. A man as smart as you should coach somewhere.

Are you still mad about last year's MVP? Get over it.

Checkerboard you are right Lewis County needs a new offense, the Wing-T has obviously flown. Nobody successful runs it any more anyway(Goodpasture, David Lipscomb, Trousdale Co., Portland, Beech, Huntingdon ect.) The Panthers are only second in 2A in scoring. They are so predictable that their opponents are holding them to 35 points per game. Like you I think they should give the ball to the same player all the time. Forget that they have three backs in the backfield that all run at least a 4.7 and a QB that runs 4.47. As for the defense it also needs an overhaul. The Panthers are a weak third in 2A in defense

Checkerboard you mentioned all the state championships of the teams that surround Lewis County, but you didn't talked about football championships. I not sure of a lot of things but I do know that running a wint-t offense or 60 (not 4-4) defense has no affect on how many state championships baseball or basketball or any other sport will win. There's one fact that you are absolutely correct on, Lewis Co. has not won a state championship in football. I do not agree with you that LC has more talent that other team that they play. We had a great fullback last year that was great not because of athletic abilitly or speed, but because of hard work and heart. I do believe that in many cases LC teams are better prepared and have a good off-season program that contributes to their success. Now as far as state championships and playoff success of the football teams of the schools that are around Lewis Co. take a close look at the facts. This is not a slam on any other program, although there are some great programs surrounding LC, only Marshall Co. and Spring Hill has won a football state championsip (almost 20 years ago). Collinwood who can throw the ball all over the field didn't win a playoff game from 93-99. Columbia, Fairview, Hickman Co., Lawrence Co., Riverside, Richland, and Perry Co. are all winless in the playoffs since 1993. Loretto has had some great teams, but had 5 yrs. from 93 without a playoff win. Mt. Pleasant has had 2 Playoff win since 93 and Spring Hill has only won 3 during that time. The EZ Harding team that you mentioned did not have but one playoff win until the won it all in 2001. So I missed your point about all the other schools winning state championships and LC not. Our players and our coaches work hard and we are going in the right direction with all our sports. I am glad that you are a fan, but I hope you are not someone that I coach who have become so distorted and blind in your views. I coached several of those db's who ran a 5.3 40 yd. dash and thought they ran a 4.4.

You got to really respect an expert that thinks a basic 60 defense is a 4-4? Keep talking Checkerboard, you remind me of a guy that would be majoring in literature or comminications?

I have seen this team play many times over the past 4-5 years and if you think they have superior talent to the teams they are playing, you are a very poor judge of talent.

You are the kind of fan that every school has... mired in the dregs of what might have been.

Reading this post is very hard on fans of Lewis Co such as myself. I agree that it is dissapointing to see our squads go with 9 or more wins in a season only to be put out earlier than expected. But I will say that it is obvious we have talent in this county or we would not make it that far in the playoffs. Just like it was mentioned earlier....look at the surrounding counties who have not had a playoff win in ages. Yeah there are problems with the wing-t but I don't think there is a offense that can use the deep load of talent we have. Now I would like to see us have the option of throwing the ball when we need to. As far as defense....I feel comfortable in our defense. We have superior linebackers who are plugging in the spots needed in the 60(not 4-4) defense. If we was to switch to a cover 2 or something of that nature then we would be up a creek worse than we are now as far as defending the pass because we don't have the db's to fill those positions well enough. I look for Lewis Co to make a run this year in the playoffs due to their heart and talent. No I do not believe we have the talent to win it all but I will say that yes I am satisfied with a deep run. Only one team a year wins the big one. Just remember that. Only one team at the end of this year in 2A is gonna be able to say we are the best. All the other teams will be like Lewis Co(if we don't win the big one) in saying well we had a great season only to be put out. Does it really matter what round you get put out? A loss is a loss last time I checked. And unless your team wins it all, there is room for imprvement.

I responded to this almost exact same post erlier in the season and I'll do it again now.

1. I have been around the program for 27 years. I have seen a lot, a lot more than most.

2. There have only been three occasions where I thought we had the PURE talent to have a chance at winning a State Title, 1979..1980..1995.

1979: A great mixture of seniors and juniors that played with incredible intensity. They got on a roll early and never let up. Produced the first undefeated season in the history of the school. (Before someone takes me to task for claiming an undefeated regular season as an "undefeated season", go pick on Marion Wilhoite, sports editor of the Columbia Daily Herald. They called Columbia's undefeated regular season last year... "an undefeated season.") This team went to the semi-finals and lost to Lake County 14-0. Lake County lost State Title to Alcoa 13-0.

1980: One of my favorite teams, the absolute best defense I ever saw at Lewis County. Team gave up 700 total yards during the entire regular season! The senior class will have a hard time ever being duplicated as far as their dedication to the game! Lost to Goodpasture 14-12 in quarterfinals.

1995: Tons of talent and lots of athletes, with exceptional team speed! Lost to Goodpasture 17-14 in quarterfinals. Goodpasture won the State Title by 17 over Meigs County.

3. We very rarely have ever had the talent of teams that make it deep into the playoffs. If anyone thinks we have the overall team speed to compete with most upper echelon AA teams, I don't have the time to even debate your point because we will forever agree to disagree!

4. We are extremely lucky to have Coach Sharp and his staff in Lewis County. Ask anyone who is looking for a coach and see what they wouldn't give to have him?

5. I was along for the ride a few years ago when Lewis County would have given their eyetooth to have been 5-5. The two years before Coach Sharp arrived, we were 3-7 and 1-9... there was a time long before that when we went:

4-5

0-9

0-9-1

2-8

5-3-2

3-6

I happened to be beginning my work at that time and was a witness to a six year record of 14 wins, 38 losses and 3 ties!

Maybe I am too easily pleased but I enjoy seeing a team that wins 9, 10... even 12 games a year. Sure, there would be nothing better than for one time in my life to stand on the field and watch the Panthers play for a state title but if it never happens, I am secure in the knowledge that being one of the premier programs in the state of Tennessee is a whole lot better than winning 2 games in three years.

"I think Lewis County has a good history of playing above average football with above average teams. The major gripe is that they have never made it to The Show. They seem to be subconsciously satisfied with just getting to the playoffs. I know that a bunch of the die-hards are going to read this and start spewing venom, but y'all know I'm right. Most sensible people in Lewis county mark this as the biggest problem they have with this program."

------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think they would know you are right or then they would be sensible like you? HA

I am glad that these kinds of "fans" are reserved for Lewis County and nowhere else..HA

[Edited by TheExpert on 10-26-02 2:49A]

Guest checkerboard

Gee willikers fellas, I guess I was all wrong about this, being as how I'm so ignorant about the wing-t and the 4-4 defense (which is aka the 60 defense). The reason colleges don't run the wing-t is because it would give them an unfair advantage, right? And the 4-4 is THE defense to run in any situation, right? And Lewis county has amassed those impressive records against mostly historical powerhouse A and AA teams. Remind me again, how many state championships in football have the teams in the surrounding counties and the teams Lewis county plays in the regular season won? Exactly...POWERHOUSES!!! Boo Hoo! No one good will play us! They're all scared of the juggernaut, right? Or, is it the other way around? Are WE scared to ask an Ezell-Harding or one of the Franklin-Brentwood private schools to add us to their schedule? Don't think they'll play us? Guess again! According to a post earlier in the year, there are a few schools that we beat up on every year who don't want to schedule us again. heck, we'll drive half way to Chattanooga to play a soft single A team, but we won't drive 30 miles down the trace to play Collinwood (I accept that this might be a mutual oversight on both program's part). God forbid we schedule a team that we don't match up against...a team that might just make the team better and better prepare them for the postseason. Lewis countians always like to crow about those regular season records, don't they...then try to justify their bravado by reminding us of the sorry teams they backed. I can't tell you how many times somebody has reminded me that "Lewis county went undefeated 4 years in a row a few years back". Sorry to inform you guys, but undefeated teams don't get beaten at any point in the season, INCLUDING the postseason.

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

[Edited by checkerboard on 10-26-02 9:19A]