Bruce Lussier on the Hot Seat?

mustachiomenace

I think anyone who watched Father Ryan Friday night would tell you that was a different team than we have seen the past couple of years. The offense opened things up and threw for three touchdowns. The defense played pretty well except for a couple big plays. The Father Ran kids fought hard the whole time. The difference in the game was Overton had a couple D1 athletes running the ball and Father Ryan doesn't have any. Say what you want but that game told me they are headed in the right direction.

I like Ryan just don't see them winning more than 3 games this year and that may be a stretch. If something does not change and they continue to play the same schedule ( have no choice ) I am not sure we will get much more out of Ryan but an occasional good season. Hope is always alive though and I enjoy seeing a positive post on Ryan when so many are negative.

I think anyone who watched Father Ryan Friday night would tell you that was a different team than we have seen the past couple of years. The offense opened things up and threw for three touchdowns. The defense played pretty well except for a couple big plays. The Father Ran kids fought hard the whole time. The difference in the game was Overton had a couple D1 athletes running the ball and Father Ryan doesn't have any. Say what you want but that game told me they are headed in the right direction.

Yea it's a different team then the last two years they are worse. The last two years didn't lose to overton while this year did. And he can't blame his offensive coordinator this time because his old one that he fired coaches at overton!! And there is a reason Father Ryan doesn't have any D1 athletes its cause they don't win games!! No one wants to send their kid to a program that doesn't win games. To be honest they might not win a game this year. I just wonder how much longer frhs with put up with losing year in and year out. Edited by mustachiomenace
  • Upvote 2

Sure D1 athletes would help but in 1997 when Ryan won the state championship they didn't have one D1 athlete on the team either.   They played with fire and intensity.  They believed they could win and did.  That is an attribute towards the kids and the coaches because the coaches coached those kids up and made them believe and believed in them.  So fault does lie within the coaching staff.

Also, Ryan is losing the good Catholic kids.  MBA has a freshman lineman - big boy - good athlete and he is from St. Edwards.  MBA has several other catholic kids.  Ryan can't afford to lose those and shouldn't lose those kids.

I agree with the earlier post, unless the administration and alumni and board all make a group effort to bring back the pride of Ryan football, it will only be mediocre at best.

• Upvote 1

With so many private school choices that exist now, FRHS (as you say oldbigredman) cannot be losing parochial league kids to anyone (MBA, BA, CPA, EHS, etc).  Back in the day, it was really really rare for Catholic kids who grew up playing in that league to go to MBA.  And when they did, it was big news, and from what I remember, not all that pleasant for the families....all the best talent from those leagues ended up on the FR team.

The parochial league, in my observation, is as good as any youth football league in Nashville.  Same today as it was many years ago.  It makes no sense to me why Ryan can't turn that feeder system into a successful football program. 

Ryan still plays hard. Ryan is well coached. Ryan can't match their leagues recruiting budget. Ryan should go division I.

Yes maybe they can't match all the teams in their leagues recruiting budget but they never have in their history. but there is one team they sure can match with and thats JPII and guess what they lost to them last year. And if they are being coached well then someone redefined what a good coach was because they haven't won a meaningful game in years. And a good coach will pull off an upset every once in a while but FRHS has lost everygame they are suppose to lose. They have lost to MBA for the last 13 years it used to be a rivalry but now its more of a secure Win for MBA every year.