Name the best coaches ever in TN HS FB history

SweetScience

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Probably been named already, but Red Etter-Chattanooga Central & Baylor.

I mentioned before that when I got married to Cyndee and moved to Chattanooga from Oak Ridge we lived in the house in Red Bank ( not too far from Baylor ) once owned by Coach Etter. I was going to become a Red Bank fan but Cyndee wanted to move us to Hixson. After a few months of wearing Hixson swag and nobody wanting to talk about the team I gave up and stuck with the Oak Ridge Wildcats.

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Probably been named already, but Red Etter-Chattanooga Central & Baylor.

I mentioned before that when I got married to Cyndee and moved to Chattanooga from Oak Ridge we lived in the house in Red Bank ( not too far from Baylor ) once owned by Coach Etter. I was going to become a Red Bank fan but Cyndee wanted to move us to Hixson. After a few months of wearing Hixson swag and nobody wanting to talk about the team I gave up and stuck with the Oak Ridge Wildcats.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:10 PM, stacmot said:

I would definitely put Haywood coach John Hooper on the list.  Hooper coached at Haywood from 1955-1970.  I don't know Coach Hooper's overall coaching record, but he had a 140-28-2 record at Haywood for a winning percentage of 83%.

After doing a little more research, I just wanted to add a little more info about Coach Hooper.

As stated, Hooper's record at Haywood was 140-28-2.  Under his tenure, Haywood became one of the most dominant and well-known football programs in Tennessee.

Some of his accomplishments include:

• 10 consecutive post-season bowl games
  • 5 undefeated seasons
  • 6 Big Ten Conference Championships
  • 14 Straight seasons ranked in the state’s top 10
  • During his time at Haywood, 46 players received college scholarships
  • 22 of his players made the all-state team, and he coached 7 high school All-Americans
  • Coached in the 1969 TSSAA All-Star Football Game
  • His 1969 Haywood team was ranked #12 in the nation
  • named Big Ten Conference Coach of the Year 4 times (1957, 1964, 1968, and 1969)
  • In 1971, the National High School Athletic Coaches Association named him Football coach of the Year for District 4.  This district was comprised of Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana
  • Inducted into the TSSAA Hall of Fame in 1998
  • In May of 1998, the Haywood High School football stadium was renamed the “John B. Hooper Memorial Stadium” in his honor
  • Upvote 1