Name the best coaches ever in TN HS FB history

SweetScience

Smith coached at Springfield. I can't remember the exact years, but he was there forever and a day. He's in both the TSSAA and National HSFB halls of fame.

And Short was the G-man at Gallatin who got that program rolling in the 70's and kept it rolling all the way through the early 90's.

Smith all time record 287-116-34 ties...Coached from 1928-1971. Wow.

E.B "Red" Etter- Coached at Chattanooga Central High school and Baylor from the 40's to the early 80's. Retired as the 3rd most winningest coach in TN. Not bad considering the majority of his coaching was done without the playoffs so there were only 10 games possible. He won 9 or 10 state championships at Central (which were voted on at the time) and I think one at Baylor and also a national championship. His Central teams played people all over the country because it was so hard to find competetion in Tn. They played teams from Miami Fl, Atlanta, New Orleans, Arkansas, Alabama teams every year in addition to the best from Memphis to Kingsport. Google his name and look at his seasons at central and who they played. Truly amazing.

E.B "Red" Etter- Coached at Chattanooga Central High school and Baylor from the 40's to the early 80's. Retired as the 3rd most winningest coach in TN. Not bad considering the majority of his coaching was done without the playoffs so there were only 10 games possible. He won 9 or 10 state championships at Central (which were voted on at the time) and I think one at Baylor and also a national championship. His Central teams played people all over the country because it was so hard to find competetion in Tn. They played teams from Miami Fl, Atlanta, New Orleans, Arkansas, Alabama teams every year in addition to the best from Memphis to Kingsport. Google his name and look at his seasons at central and who they played. Truly amazing.

Him and Jack Armstrong from Oak Ridge had some classic games in the 50's! Over 14,000 watched the 1958 game @ Blankenship field in Oak Ridge vs the Purple Pounders!

Coach Short's record at Gallatin was 205-30 from 1976 to 1993, including a regular season record of 164-16. His teams won 3 state championships, were runner-up 3 times, and were in the semifinals 5 other times. They won 16 district championships and had 8 undefeated regular seasons in his 18 years. The football field at Gallatin now bears his name.

And nobody has mentioned Carlton Flatt yet? Or are we dealing with public schools only. Really hate to bring it up, don't want to start the public/private issue, but Flatt did grab more gold balls than anybody else, IRRC.

Also, the coach at Germantown for so long...and kick me, my old age is showing because I can't pull the name off the tip of my tongue.

Boyce Smith, Jerry Pearson, Calvin Short...great start of mid-state coaches who belong. This list could get long...

• Upvote 1