Name the best coaches ever in TN HS FB history

SweetScience

He played for Furman, i am pretty sure...Idk where he started out coaching, though...Played for Jeff County in HS in the 80's

I was just wondering because the man is a pure genious and had to have learned from someone somewhere. I will agree with the person that said something about how his team looks to stand no chance against some of the teams they've played over the years but have come out and won convincingly. It'll be interesting to see how many wins he will finish with.

I was just wondering because the man is a pure genious and had to have learned from someone somewhere. I will agree with the person that said something about how his team looks to stand no chance against some of the teams they've played over the years but have come out and won convincingly. It'll be interesting to see how many wins he will finish with.

Yep, and you don't have to go far to see that. Point in case last years Finals game...Whitehaven had at least 5 times the talent of Maryville, in my humble opinion, but still lost to the genius that is GQ. I mean how can you go wrong with the name GQ? The man just "has" it :)

Out of curiosity, where was Coach Quarles at before he came to Maryville? Where did he play college ball?

To help SweetScience, I believe George Quarles was brought in as a assistant when Tim Hammontree took over as HC of Maryville in 1993. My bet is that he went back to Jeff. Co. after he graduated from Furman in '89, cause his father was the AD? at Jeff. Co..

To help SweetScience, I believe George Quarles was brought in as a assistant when Tim Hammontree took over as HC of Maryville in 1993. My bet is that he went back to Jeff. Co. after he graduated from Furman in '89, cause his father was the AD? at Jeff. Co..

You are correct, Cherokean...Hammontree did bring him in, but i don't know if it was 93? I'm sure a Rebel supporter could answer that for us...I do know he was a part of some great Jeff. Co. teams...I know his brother i think was the QB of the great 1987 Jeff Co team that won the state title? I know, because i watched them absolutely trounce my Ridgers that year 51-0 in the playoffs :-/ lol...I also believe that Furman won the national championship in the lower college classes when he played there, and GQ grabbed a classic TD catch in the EZ for a TD against i am thinking Marshall? that year in the playoffs...Everywhere the guy has been he has won. He is plain and simple, a winner.

GQ was harred buy Tim ...And wuz coachin inn Athuns, Georgie when he caim az a assistunt two MHS...popcorneater.gif

And nobody has mentioned Carlton Flatt yet? Or are we dealing with public schools only. Really hate to bring it up, don't want to start the public/private issue, but Flatt did grab more gold balls than anybody else, IRRC.

Also, the coach at Germantown for so long...and kick me, my old age is showing because I can't pull the name off the tip of my tongue.

Boyce Smith, Jerry Pearson, Calvin Short...great start of mid-state coaches who belong. This list could get long...

The name you are looking for is Ken Netherland. 1 state championship at at Germantown, 4 runner-ups, then leads St. George's to a state championship. And if i am not mistaken, he is the winningest coach in TN history. A little biased as I played for him, but not only was he a teacher of the game, but of life as well. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who played for him, that would not do anything for him, or who is not better for having been in his presence.

George Quarles came to Maryville in 1995. He was an assistant from 1995-1998. He has been head coach since 1999. George was a starting receiver for Furman's 1988 National Title team. He was a GA for 2 years at Furman then coached 3 years at Eastside High School in Taylors SC and 1 year at Cedar Shoals High School in Athens GA.

I feel the same way WaCoJaCo feels about George Quarles. But! I also feel that way about the whole Maryville staff. I feel like Maryville's staff is one of the best in America.

The name you are looking for is Ken Netherland. 1 state championship at at Germantown, 4 runner-ups, then leads St. George's to a state championship. And if i am not mistaken, he is the winningest coach in TN history. A little biased as I played for him, but not only was he a teacher of the game, but of life as well. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who played for him, that would not do anything for him, or who is not better for having been in his presence.

Sounds as if he was cast in the same mold as was Jim Stowe.One of Coach Stowes' favorite quotes was "My job was molding men...men win you football games",then he'd go on to explain that by men he ment in character,not stature.I'll congratulate you for having someone in your life to infleuence you the way Coach Netherland obviously has,guys like that are a treasure to their community. Edited by tradertwo

George Quarles is the best coach in the state of Tennessee, Past, Present, Future. End of story.

I will have to agree in the modern era after the playoffs became the way of life, but I have to put in a plug for EB "Red" Etter. May be before your era, but winning 75% of your games while traveling all over the south playing the best around is strong too. And they traveled because teams here would not play Chattanooga Central.

I will have to agree in the modern era after the playoffs became the way of life, but I have to put in a plug for EB "Red" Etter. May be before your era, but winning 75% of your games while traveling all over the south playing the best around is strong too. And they traveled because teams here would not play Chattanooga Central.

Oak Ridge and Jack Armstrong sure did..Played them 9 times from 1946-1958 going 3-5-1 against them. OR beat them in 1946 after being a school for only 3 years. Also beat them in '56 and '58 to win state. Granted, it was by polls back then, but if you beat Chatt Central back then, you were beating the best the state had to offer.