New Cut Off for D2A- D2AA

D2A

4 Years ago the cut off for division 2 a-aa was 550. Teams like BA, Ensworth and BGA chose to play up in AA despite being under 550. The new cut off will be the same as the cut off between Division 1 A-AA which was high 300s- very low 400s. If it stays similar, there will be a couple teams moving to AA. I know webb and maybe ECS

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be regular season class A and AA, not playoff classes as the cutoff..in that case I'm expecting a cutoff at around 525.

I wasn't aware that there was a different classification for regular season versus playoff classes. Where can one find those and will that show us where the 525 comes from?? I've seen projections from some TN sports writers showing a 361 cutoff projected for D1 "A" versus "2A". So this is NOT the number we should look at to determine what cutoff will be used to split up D2???

I just found it! http://www.tssaa.org...ok/football.pdf It is the cutoff between playoff class 2A and 3A that is also the cutoff for regular season class A versus AA (there are two playoff classes in each regular season class). This is projected by the TN sports writers to be about 528. Indian is correct.

Edited by hoopsinstead

Why would the 2 private school classes not be split evenly into 2 even classes like the public schools are. I dont see it making sense to have 9 schools in the AA division and 21 in the A division... why not 15 and 15... I understand that the other sports influence this also ... however, there are around 50 Division 2 schools ... why not make it 25 and 25.. Is this not the obvious answer????

If the split comes at 528, I don't foresee any changes to DII. BA and Ensworth are below that figure but will continue to play up. Webb, the largest DII-A school, is still comfortably below the cutoff (453). BGA has announced it will exercise its right to play in the smaller division, and with an enrollment of 324 the Wildcats be in a division much better suited to their size. They sit near SBEC and USJ on the enrollment chart.

Here are the enrollment figures for the 11 schools who are projected to play in DII-AA next year. I have doubled the enrollment of boys' schools, in accordance with the TSSAA's policy.

Ensworth - 422

Brentwood Academy - 473

Briarcrest - 553

Pope John Paul - 610

Baylor - 729

Father Ryan - 948

MUS - 950 (enrollment doubled)

MBA - 974 (enrollment doubled)

St. Benedict - 982

McCallie - 1298 (enrollment doubled)

Christian Brothers - 1706 (enrollment doubled)

And the biggest DII-A schools:

Webb School of Knoxville - 453

ECS - 394

St. George's - 389

Harding Academy - 369

SBEC - 325

BGA - 324

USJ - 318

FACS - 304

FRA - 269

Jackson Christian - 255

Why would the 2 private school classes not be split evenly into 2 even classes like the public schools are. I dont see it making sense to have 9 schools in the AA division and 21 in the A division... why not 15 and 15... I understand that the other sports influence this also ... however, there are around 50 Division 2 schools ... why not make it 25 and 25.. Is this not the obvious answer????

bump