Brentwood Academy - Ensworth

WesVLT

Goodness gracious in heaven......where are you people coming up with this stuff? It's his first year coaching in this format, that, lets face it is pretty unique. No I haven't talked to him. He hasn't reached out to me. I'm basing that thought (that he may not get IN HIS FIRST YEAR the d2 format) on just about every past example going back to the beginning of d2. What do the next several years have to do with this year, where I'm saying his unfamiliarity with this format might be a factor? That doesn't make sense. Regardless, here are two specific examples:

Long time ago Ricky Bowers, who I think is the best coach in the state, didn't get how hard it was to beat a team twice in this goofy format that the TSSAA has left for us all. As I said in the first post, his MBA team played FRHS in the clinic bowl in 1997. FRHS won the rematch mainly because Ricky stuck with the original gameplan that had worked well the first time around, while FRHS made the adjustments. Ryan knew exactly what was coming. Ricky learned from that, IMO.

Next example-- your own legendary Carlton Flatt. Winner of multiple state titles, winner against some of the best teams in the nation, head coach of some of the best teams ever in this state ('88, '95-'96), winningest coach in TN history. First time back coaching in the D2 format in 2002....throttles MBA in the regular season. Meets them again in the clinic bowl and same thing-- no changes to the gameplan, MBA wins the rematch easily.

So two of the greatest coaches the state has ever seen had to change the way they approached things with this format....but hey, it's easy right? What am I thinking to question whether or not a coach from Texas has it figured out in his first year? Ricky didn't get it. Carlton didn't get it. But I guess Coach White does get it, and this won't be an issue...

This is all an interesting discussion-- and it is tough to beat a good team twice, but, for whatever it's worth, Father Ryan's undefeated 1997 state championship team beat MBA twice. 21-20 in the regular season and 10-7 in the Clinic Bowl. Saw both games. Ryan a stocky D lineman whose first name was , I think, Zack. I don't think MBA blocked him once in two games. Good luck to both teams on Friday.

This is all an interesting discussion-- and it is tough to beat a good team twice, but, for whatever it's worth, Father Ryan's undefeated 1997 state championship team beat MBA twice. 21-20 in the regular season and 10-7 in the Clinic Bowl. Saw both games. Ryan a stocky D lineman whose first name was , I think, Zack. I don't think MBA blocked him once in two games. Good luck to both teams on Friday.

For the old BA fans--1980 state championship team opened season beating Knoxville Rule and beat them in the finals for school's 2nd state title. It can be done!

Lol, can you imagine coach Tommy Owen or coach Carlton Flatt throwing into the end zone with 6 seconds left and a 14-0 lead???

You mean the pass by the second string qb to the second string tight end AFTER BA inexplicably called a timeout with 6 seconds left???? BA obviously felt it was important to their team to get the stop. Ensworth clearly felt it was important to get its second string offense some quality snaps. Wouldn't have happened had BA not called the timeout - you gonna blame Ricky for that? With all the firepower on the field, that game was won by Ensworth's offensive line and their defensive front seven.

Edited by RedRobin

You mean the pass by the second string qb to the second string tight end AFTER BA inexplicably called a timeout with 6 seconds left???? BA obviously felt it was important to their team to get the stop. Ensworth clearly felt it was important to get its second string offense some quality snaps. Wouldn't have happened had BA not called the timeout - you gonna blame Ricky for that? With all the firepower on the field, that game was won by Ensworth's offensive line and their defensive front seven.

Ensworth called a timeout first for the record.

Ensworth's qb (not the coach) called the timeout because he looked up and there were two seconds on the playclock and his offense was not set. Kind of a reflex thing to do.

Good luck to BA the rest of the season.

Well, if so, the head coach should have instructed his QB to take a knee. That's an example of sportsmanship. By calling a pass play, sounds like Coach Bowers was complicit with the call of the timeout. A coach with Bowers experience would do that, one would think, sort of a reflex thing to do.

hardly - bowers called the timeout. i can't even believe you said a few posts up that BA called it. he wanted to make sure he got another TD on the board. in my 54 yrs that and passing with 6 secs when you have the win was one of the most egregious sportsmanship things i have ever seen and i've coached youth sports for almost 20 yrs. ensworth proved they have the better team - they knocked BA off the ball but they also proved they have the lesser man as coach. we may meet again, and while it looks like e-worth can't be beaten, you never never know.

This may be the single most idiotic response I have ever seen on Coach T