6A: Quads 1 & 2

ErikG

This 6A stuff in the east is straight forward, but 5A in the east will test the TSSAA's geographical consistency (that's for another thread).

6A Quad 1

#8 Hardin Valley @ #1 Maryville

#5 Science Hill @ #4 Oak Ridge

#6 Jefferson Co. @ #3 Sevier Co.

#7 Bearden @ #2 Dobyns-Bennett

6A Quad 2

#8 Oakland @ #1 Siegel

#5 Blackman @ #4 Cookeville

#6 Riverdale @ #3 Cane Ridge

#7 Bradley Central @ #2 McMinn Co.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the heck have quads when teams in the same conference play each other

The system stinks; it has every year it's been in place. Weak districts and weak non-district schedules are rewarded. You often end up playing a team from your own district in the opening round, etc. Thank goodness, football is the only sport they've butchered like this -- but why?!

This 6A stuff in the east is straight forward, but 5A in the east will test the TSSAA's geographical consistency (that's for another thread).

6A Quad 1

#8 Hardin Valley @ #1 Maryville

#5 Science Hill @ #4 Oak Ridge

#6 Jefferson Co. @ #3 Sevier Co.

#7 Bearden @ #2 Dobyns-Bennett

6A Quad 2

#8 Oakland @ #1 Siegel

#5 Blackman @ #4 Cookeville

#6 Riverdale @ #3 Cane Ridge

#7 Bradley Central @ #2 McMinn Co.

From what I've seen I'm not sure how hardin valley makes it in and mcminn cty will be in quad #1.

Bearden at maryvill

Jeff cty at db

Science hill at mcminn cty

Oak ridge at sevier county

From what I've seen I'm not sure how hardin valley makes it in and mcminn cty will be in quad #1.

Bearden at maryvill

Jeff cty at db

Science hill at mcminn cty

Oak ridge at sevier county

Hardin Valley is barely in as a wildcard. They had 5 wins and 5 teams on their schedule that finished .500 or better. McMinn Co. is moved to Quad 2 (playing Bradley for the 2nd week in a row) to accomodate Hardin Valley.

If anyone has a gripe it's Memphis Central. They should have 5 teams on their schedule that are .500 or better with White Station being the 5th. But the TSSAA views White Station as 4-6, rather than 6-4, with wins on the field over Arlington and Hamilton wiped out. I believe it was an ineligible player ruling which, if true, shouldn't benefit White Station but also shouldn't cost their opponents. Of course, crap like this only happens with the playoff system for football.

The system stinks; it has every year it's been in place. Weak districts and weak non-district schedules are rewarded. You often end up playing a team from your own district in the opening round, etc. Thank goodness, football is the only sport they've butchered like this -- but why?!

I agree this system stinks but the old system didn't keep 4-6 teams from getting into the playoffs. That's going to happen regardless. Those teams do not deserve to be an automatic home game in the first round. They won their district so they deserve to be in. So how do we rank the teams in each quad to ensure this doesn't happen? Rank each team by their record and seed them accordingly? What about ties? Use the establishes tiebreaker system installed? That brings in another set of problems with teams that play lower classification teams in their district. Under the current system they get penalized in the tiebreaker for this. Does the current system stink? Yes. So what is the solution? Maybe a hybrid of the two. But I do agree I don't like first round match ups against district opponents. But I do go back to the fact that you still have to beat them at some point in the playoffs. So what makes the second round so much better to play them than the first round? Under the old system this is when we played district (then region) opponents.

Edited by milo118

I agree this system stinks but the old system didn't keep 4-6 teams from getting into the playoffs. That's going to happen regardless. Those teams do not deserve to be an automatic home game in the first round. They won their district so they deserve to be in. So how do we rank the teams in each quad to ensure this doesn't happen? Rank each team by their record and seed them accordingly? What about ties? Use the establishes tiebreaker system installed? That brings in another set of problems with teams that play lower classification teams in their district. Under the current system they get penalized in the tiebreaker for this. Does the current system stink? Yes. So what is the solution? Maybe a hybrid of the two. But I do agree I don't like first round match ups against district opponents. But I do go back to the fact that you still have to beat them at some point in the playoffs. So what makes the second round so much better to play them than the first round? Under the old system this is when we played district (then region) opponents.

2A Westwood High School #2 Seed - 1st round bye - 3 wins 7 losses...REALLY!!!popcorneater.gif

If anyone has a gripe it's Memphis Central. They should have 5 teams on their schedule that are .500 or better with White Station being the 5th. But the TSSAA views White Station as 4-6, rather than 6-4, with wins on the field over Arlington and Hamilton wiped out. I believe it was an ineligible player ruling which, if true, shouldn't benefit White Station but also shouldn't cost their opponents. Of course, crap like this only happens with the playoff system for football.

Not making any difference but I think the opening game forfeit was over hazing and the second one the ineligible player.