Chattanooga Soccer Contract Final Year?

CHAMPDDS

i was not impressed with how the tournament was organized and set up. Because there was also a travel tournament the same weekend decent hotels were hard to find and book for large parties. Secondly unless you reached the finals there was no PA announcing of the starting lineups or the game. and lastly the officiating was very poor and inconsistent. During the season our team had some games that were not well officiated but several of the games I watched in chattanooga were poorly and inconsistently called games.

I was the announcer for 3 of the 4 games at CCS on Wednesday, the A/AA quarterfinals. Also, to Champ's point the officials are chosen by TSSAA anbd have nothing to do with the location. They came from all over the state, mostly out of Nashville area. As far as hotels, there are more hotels in Chattanooga than in Murfreesboro. A final point in that the tournament is run by TSSAA. This fact will not change no matter where the tournament is held.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying the tournament should be held in Chattanoga. I just wish they would think outside the box and have a quality location to host the games. We all agree that TSSAA is going to do two things: 1) Do whatever makes them the most money 2) pick the easiest choice so they don't have to work.

I think over the next 5 years could be very important for high school soccer as club players are going to start having choices to make; whether to play club or high school soccer? It's coming but again thats another topic for later.

If we can put a quality state championship tournament that the players remember and not remind them of a club tournament then it helps to keep those quality soccer players playing high school soccer.

For example the girls state tournament could be held:

AAA at Siegel Soccer Complex Stadium Field Only

A/AA at MTSU Soccer Complex

DII at Vanderbilt Soccer Complex

Rotate the locations every year.

Just my thoughts!

i was not impressed with how the tournament was organized and set up. Because there was also a travel tournament the same weekend decent hotels were hard to find and book for large parties. Secondly unless you reached the finals there was no PA announcing of the starting lineups or the game. and lastly the officiating was very poor and inconsistent. During the season our team had some games that were not well officiated but several of the games I watched in chattanooga were poorly and inconsistently called games.

ITA with this. For the AAA teams, there was no announcements of lineups, much less goals and subs, at any of the games played at Baylor. IMO, if the most rural, under-resourced public schools in TN can pull together the equipment and personnel to announce starting lineups at regular season non-conference games, then certainly Baylor(!!) should be able to offer that as a minimum. I don't expect goal scorers' and subs' names to be announced generally, but it is the state tournament...and if a rationale for keeping the tourney in the Chatt is so that it feels different and more special than a typical travel tournament, announcement of these would further contribute to that differentiation. There was announcement of the starting lineups at GPS for the finals, so that was an improvement.

Now the officiating...wow. My concern wasn't that the officials seemed biased in any way-they really didn't. However, the officiating was so very inconsistent. Not only between games but also between the center ref and the linesmen in the same game! There was a particularly poor call in the AAA final that was a real game changer...even the TSSAAnetwork.com announcers seemed fairly horrified by it.

Now, to be fair, I realize the refs are a) essentially volunteers doing a very difficult job B) very likely reffing in addition to their 'real' job that pays an actual living wage, thus not reffing full time and c) doing the best they can with what they have been given from TSSAA - so I am not criticizing the referees themselves. It just appeared as if they were given conflicting instructions, e.g., let all but the most egregious fouls go (in QFs) vs call everything no matter what (finals). And, as has already been pointed out, it doesn't matter if the tourney is in Memphis, Murfreesboro, or Chattanooga, there will always be officiating issues.

• 2 weeks later...