Dickson County - #1 Seed - Quad 3 - What a Joke!

lbhiii

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. - I started this thread and am really impressed. Over 20 responses in 3 hours! KWC - you sound like a very defensive high school administrator, teacher, or coach. If not, my apologies. I pay taxes and expect competetent folks at TSSAA and school systems to make competent decisions. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. I have never been known as a shrinking violet so I will elaborate on the original post with my points from all of the hubris that has been started up.:

1.. How competent is it to put 1 6A team in with the rest 5A teams and make Region 10?

2. How competent is it for Brentwood to have a 5-0 district record and be seeded #2 while Dickson had 1 loss in their district?

3. Why is Mt. Juliet who is seeded #4 behind Arlington who is seeded #3 with the same district records and a worse record?

4. 6 Classifications is stupid. Why don't we just have 12 or 24 and give everyone participation medals like in kiddie soccer. We are teaching kids to be afraid of competition.

5. How competent is a system that encourages schools to play traditionally weak non-district opponents so they don't screw up their record? While I know the system has been tweeked, 2 years ago, Brentwood won District 11 and was seeded 8th while Franklin who took 2nd in the district was seeded 2nd.

6. I love the quote above: "I don't think it matters if your are a 1 or an 8 seed". Horse hockey. The reward of proper seeding is to play at home. Playing at home drives revenue to your school(concessions) and gives you an advantage that you have EARNED.

I'm not really worried about this year.. Assuming my Bruins take care of bidness in the first 2 rounds, we'll play in the quarterfinals at home as I'd bet my first born future grandchild that Dickson County won't beat Mt. Juliet or Indy. If my Bruins, don't take care of bidness, than we'll sit at home and watch Alabama beat the rest of the world..

Peace!

No ... I am not a TSSAA administrator nor do I teach for a living. Apology accepted.

1) When the TSSAA changed from 5 classifications to 6 classifications they stated that the purpose was to decrease the burden of travel for the high schools. The prior 5 classification system was based upon placing schools in districts/regions based upon common school size/classification. With THAT system however, you had some schools that had a larger burden of travel expenses then others and the TSSAA changed to the current system for that reason. The whole intent and purpose of using the current system is based upon schools playing other schools in their close proximity. District 10 isn't the only district that has one 6A school in a district where all of the other schools are 5A. Off of the top of my head I know that District 13 is the same way. Brighton is the only 6A school in a district that has 4 other 5A schools. That's WHY they lumped 5A in with 6A. Some districts just had more 5A schools in their district then others. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you go BACK to the 5 classification system and put schools in regions/districts based upon common schools size/classification OR you do what they are doing now and base districts on schools of similar size that are in close proximity of each other. It was voted upon and the board chose the current system, so therefore there are going to be pockets throughout the entire state where some districts will be dominated by 5A schools and others 6A schools. It is a very COMPETENT system. You just don't like it, I understand that.

2) Because to best run the current system, seeing that there are going to be districts where there would not be a balance between the classifications, it was deemed that the first determining factor is overall record, then strength of schedule, and so on and so forth. Again, a very COMPETENT system, your team didn't fare well under the current system and you are upset about it. It's the same throughout the state for everyone. (The system we left for this system did use region play as a determining factor earlier in the seeding equation ... it basically determined how you were seeded. That system also allowed 1-9, and 2-8, and 3-7 teams into the play-offs .... that's why it was changed)

3) Read the above statement.

4) Again, 6 Classifications were created so that the post season could eliminate 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 teams from getting into the post season & reduce travel in district play.

5) Again ... travel and records of post season teams.

6) I agree ... seeding is for home field advantage during the play-offs because it DOES matter.

I've answered all of the questions you posed. The current system is to emphasize total wins and less travel in district play. Because there is inequality between districts due to the the inability to control what districts would have what type of make-up in each respective district, the selection process has to be controlled the way that it is. the TSSAA KNEW that there would be schools that take advantage of the system and schedule accordingly. It couldn't be helped.

It is VERY VERY VERY difficult to come up with a systematic format that will do the following WITHOUT anything that can be considered 'SUBJECTIVE':

1) Decrease travel in district play

2) Insure that teams that qualify for the post season have winning records

3) Ensure that district play counts when the districts can't be created equitably between classifications.

4) Ensure that districts are created equitably between classifications and have more teams qualify for the post season without losing records.

The type of system that you will have will be one of the following:

1) The districts/regions will be set up equitably because they will all be set up using the same classification in the districts. This system is where district play is king ... but TRAVEL during DISTRICT PLAY is killing the budget of a LOT if not MOST of the programs. It's just not fair to schools like Dickson County and Brighton and others where they are the only 6A school in a 50 mile radius, having to travel 50 - 100 miles ONE WAY for DISTRICT games. (That, by the way, is the previous system that was voted down)

or

2) Have districts with mixed classifications that will significantly reduce DISTRICT play travel AND reduce the amount of schools that get into post season play with what is deemed as unacceptable overall records ... 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, 4-6 ... some say 5-5 shouldn't get in. This system is going to have to select seeding based upon overall records being emphasized first because all districts aren't created equal & it has to be the most FAIR way possible. (Current System)

So ... it is a competent system. It has flaws that will have to be addressed as well.

Edited by kwc

I never said Dickson had a good quality win, ND, you were talking about how weak Dickson County's schedule was, I never disagreed, I was just saying that your bruins play a weak schedule too and that by no means does Brentwoods schedule sling shot them to the number one seed way above Dickson. Both Districts were weak this year, and I was just putting an argument up that if it is a joke for Dickson to be the one seed it would be equally funny for Brentwood,

This is my first time ever posting so im not really sure what im doing but that last big reply that answered all those i agree with everything completely. The only thing everyone is forgetting, and im pretty sure will change noone's opinions at all is that rossview is a 6a team in our district. also columbia isnt a cupcake. im not saying you said that. i just read it a few times. they are a 1 seed and won state two years ago. our only loss was against henry county and we beat northeast by 22 who happened to beat henry county.

Trailer park chatter??? Geesh. I dont care for the TSSAA wannabes seeding committee. The goof over in East TN leaving out a team is proof enough. Not sure it matters though because at this level, the cream usually rises to the top.

I know this trailer park chatter is all relative because I think my BA buddies feel the only reason a kid would play football at BHS is because they wouldnt have playing time with the Eagles. I guess one man's trailer is another man's school on Granny White. I'm just ready for some football and want to see district 11 show their stuff. Good luck Centennial, Indy, Hillsboro AND Brentwood.

Its really sad that this post has resulted into name calling when really its all about Friday Night lights. And hopeing that we will get to have a BH at DC post to talk trash on in two weeks. Not sure about BH but DC stands a real good chance if they are healthy. But one at a time if we have to beat all the non believers who think are schedule is week so be it. Lets go DC!!!

Not hating on Brentwood HS, I have alot of respect for their program, just not some of their fans who think they are cheated some way by another school. DC did not make up their district opponents, the TSSAA did and to say it is a joke to be a #1 seed is jealousy plan and simple and not up to them. We will play when and where the TSSAA tells us to play and be thankful to still be playing this week. Also, I do not live in a trailer park although I see nothing wrong with it and just proves my point again about another comment from a Brentwood wannabe who thinks they are better than everyone else in Middle TN! Just like last year a lot of people were saying Henry Co. did not warrant a #1 seed, district 10-AAA was weak, they did not play good competition and on and on, but look what they did... STATE CHAMPS!! As I said, it doesn't matter who or where you play, just win them all, one at a time!!

Dude, believe me I'm not jealous and I'm not a Brentwood Wannabe. My son played for 3 Brentwood teams that won 3 district/region titles and I bleed blue whether we go 1-9 or 9-1. I didn't send my kids to a private school because Brentwood High School is just about as good academically as most of them(better than several including BA, FRA, BGA) and I didn'at have to pay tuition. My rant wasn't at Dickson County but the TSSAA and this assinine system. If you guys were the only 5A school in a district fo 6A teams, would you be upset? I would assume probably. The system is screwy. I said that in all reality the way it shook out this year probably doesnt matter. You guys aren't going to make it to the 3rd round and we will if take care of business at home. If we don't, we don't deserve to be there anyway. Futhermore, I like Dickson County, you guys were always really nice when we thumped you the last 2 times we played. Also, I kill a lot of turkeys in Dickson County on our farm. The boys who work for me out there are really nice folks. rolleyes.gif

P.S. - To say that Brentwood High School wants to be a private school is just stupid.

Hey gay baby from brentwood go to the tssaa website look under classification and look at how many 6a teams there are in the state. On a average there are about two to three teams per district you live in a big district with four we have two. I don't think your district is the SEC of high school football maybe the OVC of high school footall. You rich people don't a have clue about what goes on in the real world maybe you should get out more and ride around get out of Brentwood and the mall.We are a small 6a school that playes in a district with all those 5a Clarksville schools that don't know how to play football. Don't hate us we are glad we made it this far.

Wow gay baby? Is that what they teach you in the trailer parks?

No ... I am not a TSSAA administrator nor do I teach for a living. Apology accepted.

1) When the TSSAA changed from 5 classifications to 6 classifications they stated that the purpose was to decrease the burden of travel for the high schools. The prior 5 classification system was based upon placing schools in districts/regions based upon common school size/classification. With THAT system however, you had some schools that had a larger burden of travel expenses then others and the TSSAA changed to the current system for that reason. The whole intent and purpose of using the current system is based upon schools playing other schools in their close proximity. District 10 isn't the only district that has one 6A school in a district where all of the other schools are 5A. Off of the top of my head I know that District 13 is the same way. Brighton is the only 6A school in a district that has 4 other 5A schools. That's WHY they lumped 5A in with 6A. Some districts just had more 5A schools in their district then others. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you go BACK to the 5 classification system and put schools in regions/districts based upon common schools size/classification OR you do what they are doing now and base districts on schools of similar size that are in close proximity of each other. It was voted upon and the board chose the current system, so therefore there are going to be pockets throughout the entire state where some districts will be dominated by 5A schools and others 6A schools. It is a very COMPETENT system. You just don't like it, I understand that.

2) Because to best run the current system, seeing that there are going to be districts where there would not be a balance between the classifications, it was deemed that the first determining factor is overall record, then strength of schedule, and so on and so forth. Again, a very COMPETENT system, your team didn't fare well under the current system and you are upset about it. It's the same throughout the state for everyone. (The system we left for this system did use region play as a determining factor earlier in the seeding equation ... it basically determined how you were seeded. That system also allowed 1-9, and 2-8, and 3-7 teams into the play-offs .... that's why it was changed)

3) Read the above statement.

4) Again, 6 Classifications were created so that the post season could eliminate 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 teams from getting into the post season & reduce travel in district play.

5) Again ... travel and records of post season teams.

6) I agree ... seeding is for home field advantage during the play-offs because it DOES matter.

I've answered all of the questions you posed. The current system is to emphasize total wins and less travel in district play. Because there is inequality between districts due to the the inability to control what districts would have what type of make-up in each respective district, the selection process has to be controlled the way that it is. the TSSAA KNEW that there would be schools that take advantage of the system and schedule accordingly. It couldn't be helped.

It is VERY VERY VERY difficult to come up with a systematic format that will do the following WITHOUT anything that can be considered 'SUBJECTIVE':

1) Decrease travel in district play

2) Insure that teams that qualify for the post season have winning records

3) Ensure that district play counts when the districts can't be created equitably between classifications.

4) Ensure that districts are created equitably between classifications and have more teams qualify for the post season without losing records.

The type of system that you will have will be one of the following:

1) The districts/regions will be set up equitably because they will all be set up using the same classification in the districts. This system is where district play is king ... but TRAVEL during DISTRICT PLAY is killing the budget of a LOT if not MOST of the programs. It's just not fair to schools like Dickson County and Brighton and others where they are the only 6A school in a 50 mile radius, having to travel 50 - 100 miles ONE WAY for DISTRICT games. (That, by the way, is the previous system that was voted down)

or

2) Have districts with mixed classifications that will significantly reduce DISTRICT play travel AND reduce the amount of schools that get into post season play with what is deemed as unacceptable overall records ... 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, 4-6 ... some say 5-5 shouldn't get in. This system is going to have to select seeding based upon overall records being emphasized first because all districts aren't created equal & it has to be the most FAIR way possible. (Current System)

So ... it is a competent system. It has flaws that will have to be addressed as well.

KWC,

A very well thought out articulate post. I think it is a shame that our system has to be driven by travel expenses though unfortunately it appears that is the nature of the beast. I don't always agree with every topic but I appreciate your logical thought process. And you didn't call me "gay baby".