South Pittsburg at Gordonsville (Grider against this Marshall man)

Roy Dillard

Guest Purplepastry

Bottom Line: My sources tell me GV is a year better, not a great deal better than last year. SP is a little weaker but they have their strength, their backs, in tact. The fact is that GV is not going to stop SP and they are going to score a lot of points. SP's two main weapons do not need any blocking to run wild.

Whether SP can stop GV is the question. I don't know if they can (I really believe that that Stone man puts on a fat man suit and coaches UT's defense on Saturdays).

I have a feeling, and it is just that so even I don't put too much stock in it, that SP pulls this one out. A SP quick score or two would set GV to doubting and SP to believing. SP thrives on emotion and a good start by them would be dangerous for GV.

Edited by Purplepastry

Bottom Line: My sources tell me GV is a year better, not a great deal better than last year. SP is a little weaker but they have their strength, their backs, in tact. The fact is that GV is not

going to stop SP and they are going to score a

lot of points. SP's two main weapons do not

need any blocking to run wild.

Whether SP can stop GV is the question. I don't know if they can (I really believe that that Stone man puts on a fat man suit and coaches UT's defense on Saturdays).

I have a feeling, and it is just that so even I don't put too much stock in it, that SP pulls this one out. A SP quick score or two would set GV to

doubting and SP to believing. SP thrives on emotion and a good start by them would be dangerous for GV.

Pastry - I agree re: SP playing with great emotion. That is why I hope they can remain focused & determined to leave it all out there even IF Gordy scores first.

Pastry - I agree re: SP playing with great emotion. That is why I hope they can remain focused & determined to leave it all out there even IF Gordy scores first.

Well if Gordy gets ball first they will..More than likely SP will get a couple stops but not enough to win. Just ask Roy! UNLESS SP line wears ankle weights and hits the weights all week so they will be real strong and fast come Friday. They will have to knock a crack (not hole) to have some success early. I'm not sure who has been the main culprit with the fumbles this year but in this game you need a heavy dosage of 2 all game long. Ride the horse that got you there. While I wouldn't bet anything on this years SP team you never know...They are still the beast in the east until they get knocked off the tracks

Old Pirate says this Pirate team has to be one of the most undisiplined teams to play for SP in years. Question here, how many players do the Pirates have that would be considered honor role candidates? Dad burnit, OP ain't ever, never seen a bunch that week in, week out play the game like true skillet heads. OP didn't see stats but the penalties will kill the Pirates in a close game.

GV has been the.......team to beat and if they are to take gold this is.....their best chance. History repeats itself, SP had 19-20 seniors in 1999, Union City in 2009, Wayne County in 2011 and all struggled to go 500 the following year. Yep, recon the pressure is.....on GV to bring home the bacon in 2012. Old Pirate made a post regarding 10 major concerns and none got much better against Columbia Academy. 1.Fumbles, 2. dropped passes,3. penalties, 4. OL blocking someone instead of terrible weak attempts then becoming spectators watching the RBs run for their life, play like that won't get the job done against GV!

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Well if Gordy gets ball first they will..More than likely SP will get a couple stops but not enough to win. Just ask Roy! UNLESS SP line wears ankle weights and hits the weights all week so they will be real strong and fast come Friday. They will have to knock a crack (not hole) to have some success early. I'm not sure who has been the main culprit with the fumbles this year but in this game you need a heavy dosage of 2 all game long. Ride the horse that got you there. While I wouldn't bet anything on this years SP team you never know...They are still the beast in the east until they get knocked off the tracks

Traintracks, I garuntee you Grider better be making those boys lift weights all week and run with their ankle weights on. Our blockers will have to nock a hole for our runners to run through. Let me ask you a question. Do you think Grider should make that Johnson boy and that Lankford boy practice their jumps this week? I saw that runner for LSU last night try and hurdle one on of those tacklers from that Saban mans team. If our boys could jump over some of those tacklers, we might could score more. You think im joking but im not.

Some things to consider.....SP and Gordonsville will both be fired up and ready to go so which team can keep their emotions in check and play fundamental football? You cannot afford to be out of position. Another question will be who will win the turnover battle? The team that has the fewest mistakes should be sitting pretty at the end. The final question will be which team is mentally tougher? Throughout the game both teams I believe will try to throw knockout punches...which team will bounce back and not lay down when everything is going wrong...These are the three keys to the game for me..

Edited by powerp

OP says the 1st season was a challenge with several Pirates falling victom to the injury bug but the 2nd season is now here and how well the Pirates work & perform will forever............................................ set their.......... legacy wearing the Orange & Black....

Questions: Answered as of round 1:

1. Can the Pirates protect the ball........................................Better ,but any....fumbles will be too costly now

2. Can the Pirates catch the ball..........................................Better, still mis judged balls and several that need to be caught

3. Can the Pirates stop the senseless penalties..................Terrible...................senseless.....constantly off sides

4. Can the Pirates become a cohesive defensive unit..........Some better but not cohesive unit

5. Can the Pirates become a good tackling team.................Terrible....players from here on wiil be much tougher to tackle

6. Can the Pirates correct special team blunders.................Improved....kick off coverage stiil poor, players off sides several times and couldn't tackle their granny, played like they were running from a sworm of angry bees

7. Can the OL step up their game and become something more than spectators watching the RBs run....Terrible.....lineman should be made carry & throw the ball and let the backfield make girlish attempts to block then stand and watch them get earholed

8. Can the RBs block someone when they don't have the rock.........Better as a group

9. Can the SP fans show up and support the Pirates.........................Below expectations,Fan support is a must for team inspiration/encouragement

10. Can or will the Pirates play up to their potential............................"Haven't yet come close.....will they....11 games into the season indicates probably not"

Old Pirate says, "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenary and smell never changes"

Edited by OLD PIRATE