DII Round 2 -- Now it starts getting good!

WesVLT

If MBA brings its A game, they beat CBHS. It's tough to compare the level of play between the East and the West, but CBHS, besides MUS, has not played anyone up to the caliber of MBA. Both are quality teams, but i think if MBA establishes the run early, MBA takes it. Watch for a lot of defense in this game as well. 21-14 MBA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If MBA brings its A game, they beat CBHS. It's tough to compare the level of play between the East and the West, but CBHS, besides MUS, has not played anyone up to the caliber of MBA. Both are quality teams, but i think if MBA establishes the run early, MBA takes it. Watch for a lot of defense in this game as well. 21-14 MBA

I generally agree, but White Station probably is at the same level as MBA, with a passing dominated offense that put up 400 yards against MUS. Outside of their forfeits, they have lost only to CBHS, MUS, and Whitehaven in OT. WS gave up 2 4th quarter TDs to CBHS to make that game appear noncompetitive. Sadly WS appeared to give up after a TO cost them a chance to tie the game.

I have a really hard time predicting matchups between West and East-Middle teams. Since they rarely play during the regular season, their playoff games are usually pretty unpredictable. i wouldn't have imagined Briarcrest almost losing to JPII, and I certainly didn't expect McCallie to put up 60+ on St. Benedict.

One thing's for sure: I know enough about MUS to know the Owls will be a serious test for BA, if both teams make the semifinals. It's hard to argue with those passing numbers, and the single-digit loss at Ensworth is convincing, too.

Briarcrest is not an elite team. MUS led them 42-10 before "calling off the dogs." Still, the Saints looked a bit "stage struck." Or maybe they were thinking about the consequences of winning - having to play at BA....

Saint Benedict is the perennial cellar-dweller. Their super RB, Jordan Wilkins, who will be at Auburn next year, was out with a broken leg. Thus, they didn't have the offense to keep the McCallie offense off the field. The Blue Tornado had just put up 40+ against BA. So the score of the McCallie-SBA really did not surprise me. Wonder how many points they'll score on EHS.

Briarcrest is not an elite team. MUS led them 42-10 before "calling off the dogs." Still, the Saints looked a bit "stage struck." Or maybe they were thinking about the consequences of winning - having to play at BA....

Saint Benedict is the perennial cellar-dweller. Their super RB, Jordan Wilkins, who will be at Auburn next year, was out with a broken leg. Thus, they didn't have the offense to keep the McCallie offense off the field. The Blue Tornado had just put up 40+ against BA. So the score of the McCallie-SBA really did not surprise me. Wonder how many points they'll score on EHS.

I'm familiar with Briarcrest and St. Benedict, and I was aware of Wilkins' injury. Still, those teams' poor performances surprised me. I know Briarcrest is far from elite, but JPII is flat-out bad (with all due respect to a great group of coaches). I didn't anticipate a very close game.

McCallie's offense has found its stride. The Blue Tornado put up 300+ first-half yards on BA's defense, keeping the typically aggressive Eagles on their heels. I think McCallie will give Ensworth's defense a bigger test now than it did earlier in the season, but Potter's team won't be able to consistently stop Elder.

Best I can give you is, spread offense, good running game with Ramadi Warren #2 running back. Anthony Miller is the WR who is a threat #25. Good yound qb named Ruddick, he is a jr. line is decent but not huge.

Defense is fast, good up front.....no one great player......but many good ones.

this game is a toss up

The line is CBHS by 6 1/2. Should be a fight to the death.

Thought McCallie played an awesome first half against Ensworth...but also felt like it was not sustainable. Still proud of the McCallie boys and especially liked the good competitive sportsmanship displayed by both teams.

McCallie is always a class act. They played well and I think they have established a good foundation on which to build for next year.