Division II History Thread

WesVLT

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not for Ryan dropping to 4A in '95-'96, the MBA-Ryan series would be #1. That decision still baffles me.

The decision was based on a rebuilding process. We wouldn't have had the success in 97 if we had not done what we did in 95-96. Also MBA decided not to play us because we were 4A. The powers at MBA did not want to risk a 4A team beating a 5A team. Which was totally understandable. We did play them in 2 qtr jamborees in 95-96. It solved nothing and proved nothing but it satisfied the diehards for that 2 year period.

The decision was based on a rebuilding process. We wouldn't have had the success in 97 if we had not done what we did in 95-96. Also MBA decided not to play us because we were 4A. The powers at MBA did not want to risk a 4A team beating a 5A team. Which was totally understandable. We did play them in 2 qtr jamborees in 95-96. It solved nothing and proved nothing but it satisfied the diehards for that 2 year period.

I usually give the credit to their success to the play of the dline :)

To suggest that MBA didn't schedule Ryan for fear of losing to a 4A school is laughable. I guess that is the Ryan spin on it. It was a big deal at the time, and we were all very disapointed that Ryan made the decision not to play up with us and BA. MBA certainly wasn't dodging anybody, as evidenced by our non-region schedule that featured CBHS and Gallatin (a power at the time). I was on the '94 team that beat Ryan and both the '95 & '96 teams that played them in the jamboree. I agree, the jamboree was a poor subsitute for the real thing.

To suggest that MBA didn't schedule Ryan for fear of losing to a 4A school is laughable. I guess that is the Ryan spin on it. It was a big deal at the time, and we were all very disapointed that Ryan made the decision not to play up with us and BA. MBA certainly wasn't dodging anybody, as evidenced by our non-region schedule that featured CBHS and Gallatin (a power at the time). I was on the '94 team that beat Ryan and both the '95 & '96 teams that played them in the jamboree. I agree, the jamboree was a poor subsitute for the real thing.

Didn't mean to suggest that MBA was scared. It was just logical. We were rivals therefore there was no need for them to play an extra game that was hard when you were in 5A. I should have said it a different way. I coached those teams and and in 97 we were able to defeat MBA twice once the series began. That is Ryan's last victories. Didn't mean to make you think you guys were scared only smarter than most teams.