Maryville vs. Dobyns-Bennett TSSAA 6A Quarterfinals

Red Rebels

Well, if what you say is true and the band director was asked NOT to come onto the field before the game, then I would agree. The band director needs his clock cleaned by DB school administration. But I'll tell you this, NORMALLY, the War Whoop(walk) is done with pre-approval of the host school's activities director/band director. Everybody knows when it will happen. It's scheduled. And if that was done properly, you have no room to complain. I've seen it done both ways, from on the field and from the sidelines - host school rules. But if you'll notice, at your field there are no sidelines on the guest's end where a band can stand and play.

But as has already been said, it is tradition. It is simply a symbol of unity between the students, as represented by the band (25% of the student population) and the players. That's all so don't make it more than it is. And as for the poor fellow who started all this - get a life. It's high school football for cryiing out loud.

DBGRAD70.....Eye am knott complane-in att all!!

Edited by STARSNBARS

#39, you're in our prayers. Hopefully, the news will be good on Monday. It's awesome to watch you play. Many do not know all the sacrifice you've made and battling through injuries that you conquered just to get your chance to be a Rebel. These efforts have not gone unnoticed by many Rebels. Rebel Nation is keeping you in our prayers.

Thanks PEP , MHS82 and others for your concern and compliments for Haden , he is mine but he has played his heart out this year as have his team mates. We have an MRI scheduled for Monday morning and I hope for his sake that it is not as bad as they think. Please pray for his spirit to be lifted high no matter what the outcome.

I don't get on here often and I very rarely post, but I had to miss the game and watched the second half on the internet while getting texted regularly from about half the people in attendance so I wanted to catch up so here I am.

My heart hurts for Haden today. I have been SO proud of him this year. He has already had a heck of a year. Greyrider/Dad, I know what it feels like and it hurts terribly.

For the rest of you: this is one really great young man. He is typical of the reason that MHS is so good every year--plays with all of his heart and all of his ability. It has been a joy to watch him this year and a privilege to be a part of his last four years.

Gentlemen, I have a great respect for tradition, school spirit and team pride. If their band greeted their team on the field...so what? Did they do anything to disrespect Maryville, or were they simply getting fired up for a big game? In Oak Ridge, you guys had some kind of line up during pre-game that you ran towards the 50 yelling and screaming. It wasn't seen as disrespectful, just getting fired up for a game.

As far as this goes, you DO have a great program, with many traditions that make it great for your students, but by your standards, you should never have traditions while visiting. I believe I heard the Maryville student section do thier "winning team..losing team" chant in Cookeville last year. Were you not giving the other team respect?

Bottom line you have a great program, but at times it seems as though you want more than respect. You may see the Black Hole as a chapel, but not everyone sees it as more than a football field.

We had a DB poster taking shots at our stadium earlier in the week. Insinuating it was not big enough, basically acting like their fans would take it over. Far as the band free country i guess. Never seen it done before. More power to them but it appears the other school really is trying to take the place over and it could motivate the home team players. I'm betting in this case it did. No our stadium is not a chapel and traditions are important. But if you go to an opposing stadium and act as though you are home it may or may not go over well.

I don't get on here often and I very rarely post, but I had to miss the game and watched the second half on the internet while getting texted regularly from about half the people in attendance so I wanted to catch up so here I am.

My heart hurts for Haden today. I have been SO proud of him this year. He has already had a heck of a year. Greyrider/Dad, I know what it feels like and it hurts terribly.

For the rest of you: this is one really great young man. He is typical of the reason that MHS is so good every year--plays with all of his heart and all of his ability. It has been a joy to watch him this year and a privilege to be a part of his last four years.

:thumb:

DBGRAD70.....Eye am knott complane-in att all!!

I'm not saying that you were Stars. But there are others complaining and the original may not even be a Maryville fan (an instigator perhaps?). You simply pointed out the possibility that the director was asked to NOT go on the field. I'm saying that if he was asked not to and he did it anyway, he needs to be straightened out. But if somebody gave him approval as would normally be the case, then he did nothing wrong.

Good luck in the Semi's and represent ET well. Great team there ole boy.

What a great game! I thought both coaching staffs did a great job preparing for the game. It was obvious that DBs plan was to shut down our passing attack and they did a great job of that all night. I had heard on here that the secondary woyuld be wide open all night. That was not the case. Your d-backs did a great job of man coverage and played our wide out up close all night long. I don't think 5 or 7 had a catch all night. They normally have a handful each and several TDs. However, Maryville is not a one trick pony, players like 23, 22, 16, and 3 stepped up as usual to be very effective weapons. Most of our passing yards were to backs out of the backfield or TE. The O-line did an incredible job, especially sealing the corner. Oh yeah and those awesome receivers 5 and 7 can block downfield. Great offensive scheme and great team win.

Maryville's D plan was obviously to minimize the big play by 6 and 8. Mission accomplished! Both players are awesome athletes and were impressive last night but they remained contained.

Someone asked how does Maryville continue to have these teams. We build them starting with those little kids on the field after the game.. We did not have anyone on the field with Usaine Bolt speed but we have a side line full of good HS athletes who work hard throughout the year (not season) to get stronger and faster. They are also 100% soldout to a team approach and will run through a brick wall if coach asks them to. I am so proud of these boys! Great team win!

:thumb:

No horse in the trace but some darn good reading in this thread!

Congrats Maryville and speedy recovery to your player -

Shame about Seigal mr football finalist QB going down with what I saw on line as ACL to his knee...

Hope reports wrong ....

Side note - didn't Maryville faithful get mad let year when Riverdake mascot tossed the spear onto your field?

Anyways live in Destin and run across more then a few Maryville football players and family( easy to spot as they wear Matyville football gear)

And all I met were first class folks and proud parents - very refreshing to see!

Good luck

Lol , wow you are a tough guy , since I've had 2700 posts in over 12 years on Coach T , I must not be near the man you are ... Seriously , I see why everybody in Northeast TN thinks the way they do about you guys . Maybe you can tell us what a Bad Man you are again next year and how you Aint Skeered of Nobody !!

Oh ya , Now get in the Corner Now !! Good Boy !! Now Roll over and play dead ... Oh never mind you already did that !! lol :mrgreen:

Listen Pepe Longstocking...if you are having a problem with your manhood I can't help that, and there you go again talking for everybody and how they think about others....Seriously...Just because Mhs has a good football team, the way you talk, you did it all, won the game,patrolled the stands, then come on here spouting your crap. I never said what I witnessed before the game from a few Mhs kids.You see I understand it was only a few, and not the whole fan base, all the rest were very polite and gracious. (Maryville mafia)...more like Maryville Moron...

Thank you Uglycoach ... I have to agree totally and maybe this is why DB seems to have so many haters up that way . I guess they're used to acting like the Big Dog wherever they go .... This is Maryville ... That crap doesn't fly around here . Even as successful as we are , I wouldn't want our fans , Players or Coaches thinking or acting like they're better than the other team . Give Respect ... and you will get Respect

Dude...chill out. With all due respect the DB band and players work just as hard and deserve to show out as well. The DB fans came to pack out the stadium, the entire 400 person band came down to show support for their team as well. Yes Maryville has won the championships but they play football, cheer, and toot horns in every community in this state. Now, from what I hear everyone was glad to see the band travel down and be a part of the action..and when they come they will be a part of the festivities. I guess you are mad because the band didn't file in and be quiet...I would thought a fan of a team with so much success would not care about the friggin band. Talk about giving respect. I think it showed a ton of respect to send the band down for this huge playoff game (they don't travel to most)...that tells me they thought alot of Maryville and the tradition down there. I thought that wa what made the high school football Friday night so special...kids that have put everything into their sport (football, band, cheering) getting to perform.