Region 1

Brooksbrothers

I would say Science Hill is still the team to beat in AAA but Dobyns Bennett, Sullivan South, and Jefferson County should be right there battling for the region championship. In AA/A Greeneville and Sullivan East should face each other in the region finals for the trip to Franklin.

As far as individual predictions, it is probably too early for anything too serious but just for giggles I'd throw these kids in the mix and am saying they should be in the running to be region placers - no more / no less:

106- Atlas Fagundes (Greeneville)

Ben Riley (Science Hill)

113 - Jon Boatman (Greeneville)

Gary Hudgins (Science Hill) - heard he will be back

Ryan Whitaker

120 - Chris Hinshaw (Seymour)

Sam Lane (Science Hill)

Jeremy Taylor (TN High)

Storm Williams (Mtown East)

126 - Andrew Armstrong (Sullivan South)

Max Vaughn (Science Hill) - may stay @ 132 but he and Armstrong make a heck of a finals match

132 - Matthew Gobble (Sullivan South)

Austin Frye (Dobyns Bennett)

Jonathan Taylor (TN High)

138 - Jackson shannon (Jeff Co)

Justin Carlson (Greeneville)

Shane Jesse (Science Hill)

145 - Willie Stookesbury (Seymour)

Joseph Evon (Jeff Co.)

Austin Bagley (Science Hill)

152 - Palmer Begley (Dobyns Bennett)

Griffen Broyles (Mtown West)

160 - Eric Buck (Elizabethton)

Jared Bond (Greeneville)

170 - Nelson Elliot (Sullivan East)

Virgil English (Jeff Co.)

Josh Spangler (TN High)

182 - Brailan Brown (Jeff Co)

Marshall Brown (Greeneville)

195 - Trevor Shropshire (Daniel Boone)

Bryson Begley (Dobyns Bennett)

220 - Damien Hayes (Science Hill)

Kyle Bond (Sullivan South)

William Hayde (Jeff Co)

285 - Jesse Cuddeback (Cocke Co)

Hunter Lawson (Volunteer)

I hear one of the Taylor's is out for the season because of his knee. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it is Jeremy at 120.

Barring any unseen fiasco involving the senior, Matt Dammann at 126, Max should remain at 132. Dammann looks to have a pretty good season and I think 32 is a good weight for Max's body.

Dammann and Armstrong would still be an interesting match as they both are strong upper body wrestlers. Same with a match between Max and Austin Frye because they have the same body/wrestling style. Though I think the more experienced wrestlers should have no problem coming out on top in both of those matches.

Will Carlson drop to 38? I know he was at 45 last weekend. What will Shelton do if that drop is made? Also, who will fill the vacant 120 spot after Jon drops? Will Greeneville have a complete different lineup after Christmas?

Lastly, what about Tank? What's the story on him? Does he have another year? Did he move back? Still at Elizabethton?

I hear one of the Taylor's is out for the season because of his knee. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it is Jeremy at 120.

Barring any unseen fiasco involving the senior, Matt Dammann at 126, Max should remain at 132. Dammann looks to have a pretty good season and I think 32 is a good weight for Max's body.

Dammann and Armstrong would still be an interesting match as they both are strong upper body wrestlers. Same with a match between Max and Austin Frye because they have the same body/wrestling style. Though I think the more experienced wrestlers should have no problem coming out on top in both of those matches.

Will Carlson drop to 38? I know he was at 45 last weekend. What will Shelton do if that drop is made? Also, who will fill the vacant 120 spot after Jon drops? Will Greeneville have a complete different lineup after Christmas?

Lastly, what about Tank? What's the story on him? Does he have another year? Did he move back? Still at Elizabethton?

Jeremy Taylor will be back this weekend at the Boone Duals. He is at 120. He was injured but not out for the season.

I'd also throw Justin Smith from East in the conversation at 126. He's been around for a while and if he stays healthy is solid.

Pretty sure Tank moved back to North Carolina. That was the last word i heard.

I'm sure Greeneville will place their kids in the best spots for the team to succeed in region first. Who knows for individual region. I just know that many of the Greeneville kids certified for lower weights after Christmas.

Armstrong and Vaughn are two of the best wrestlers in the region. If they aren't facing each other head to head, I doubt they will have too much difficulty winning Region 1. No disrespect to anyone else they are just very solid.

Shropshire and Begley should be a good Region 1 final match if that happens.

Good to hear Taylor will be back.

I agree with King I hope Max Vaughn stays where he is, he looks strong and lean where he is. Damman with this full season of experience has the tools to do very well in the region and duals. Greeneville looked like they had a decent stable of quality wrestlers this weekend spreadout across the weights. Although obviously I am a Hill fan I do hope Bones takes care of business and is rewarded at states. Still I think the Hill has some potential across a number of weight classes with the full early season of travel they are doing for experience. There are some young Hill kids even in the middle weights that will hold their own and more in this region and kids who have their first full season of varsity comming this year that will come around approaching the end of the year. If Hudgins returns and Damien at 220 gets serious on weight adding in Riley making 106 the Hill (my opinion) should be favored in the region team wise

Why do you say it all looks good except for 52? Do you not think Begley and Broyles should place at the region tournament? I definitely think those two should place if that is the weight they are at... As long as Begley doesn't try to tilt anyone that is.

You misunderstood me. What i ment by that is I think Ruff should be in the mix as well. If you looked at one of my later posts on the "who should i watch in region 1" forum then you would see that the match im ready for the most in the region is Palmer Begely vs Griffin Broyles. Edited by newcoach215

I'm gonna get killed for saying this. But, Greeneville has lots of changes coming. They are practicing tough and have football guys still not at weight. They are challenging each other on a regular basis making each other better. A lot of changes in the line-up from Sat. at NC. At least 5-6 moves and maybe 2-3 new guys. I am proud of the hard work going in.

Greeneville is just trying to get 14 on the mat. We will probably wrestle with 10 different line-ups this year until everything gets settled.

Science Hill is still the team to beat in this region until someone takes that away from them. They wrestled tough Saturday at North Knights. We got a long way to go before people need to start throwing Greeneville into the mix. To be the man, you got to beat the man.