Region 1

Brooksbrothers

just curious why will Greeneville drop entire line up heading into the toughest stretch at end of year seems it would weaken some kids who physically settled in, just curious I really am asking especially heading into the grueling demand of state tournament regime. doesnt make physical or biological sense, if they were college age physical maturity that would be different physiologically

I would love to see Brockwell in the finals, but I don't think he's strong enough to beat either Atlas or Ben. They will be big 106s. I'm glad Bryan has finally gained some weight though.

Vance always shows great potential! He SHOULD be a really good wrestler. He just always finds ways to mess up matches. Most of the time by forcing throws. I don't see him placing at 126 this year. He'd probably have a better shot at 132.

I'm glad Bryson pulled that win off! Like Baller said, I'm glad to see hard work pay off.

As for Greeneville: Other than Jon and Atlas, I don't think any of them will really be "cutting". I think most of them just weighed in heavy at certification and have essentially being wrestling up as everyone makes their decent. The drop will make the team overall more competitive. I think it is a good decision.

I don't know if "strong and dominant" would be the issue. It's not like he would be cutting a lot of weight. It would just be smarter for him to stay at 160 because of the competition level. He is a senior that is looking at sneaking onto the podium at the state tournament. He needs to look at finishing high at region first.

I don't know if "strong and dominant" would be the issue. It's not like he would be cutting a lot of weight. It would just be smarter for him to stay at 160 because of the competition level. He is a senior that is looking at sneaking onto the podium at the state tournament. He needs to look at finishing high at region first.

i assumed that he was already cutting a little weight to go 160. i say he will be in the finals with bond. i believe buck could pull it off. Edited by newcoach215

Is region 1 stronger this year than last?

Tough to say. Individually, if you judge region strength by state placement performance, then i would say yes and i expect to see more Region 1 placers this year. Of course that isnt saying a whole lot as there were only 4 last year - Boatman 2nd @ 106, Schurlknight 3rs @ 126, Goldstein 2nd @ 138, and Shropshire 4th @ 195. I could see possibly 7 guys making a true run at placing this year.- Boatman @ 113, Armstrong @ 126, Vaughn @ 132, Brown (Jeff Co) @ 182, Shropsire @ 195, Begley @ 195, and Hayes @ 220. This is all assumation and opinion so wont really know until state is complete.

As a group of teams, i would say no overall because of Science Hill losing so many seniors last year and appearing to be not quite as strong as years past. Jefferson Co and DB may be some improved, but you can't replace having a true top 5 team from your region to boost the strength of the region as a whole. AA/A schools have improved somewhat with stronger performances from Greeneville and Elizabethton. Sullivan East is still a solid AA/A team also as reigning region champ.