District 5-AAA

alt1958

Bradley can make state, they don't necessarily have to beat Riverdale to get there. All it takes is a little luck, its a long season and their is no telling what will happen. Way too early to say they can't make it, there's a reason the games are played. They just need the ball to bounce in their favor. Anything is possible

It all depends on who they draw in the Sub State. Had a tough game against Cookeville and had to come from behind late to win. T hey just need to win when it matters.

Edited by alt1958

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday night games:

McMinn County Defeats Meigs County 53-49. McMinn Central Beats Walker Valley 88-52 (Massengill continuing to light up the scoreboards with 30 points)and Rhea County Beats Cumberland County 54-46.

Cleveland was off, and Bradley's game with Baylor was cancelled for the night.

It all depends on who they draw in the Sub State. Had a tough game against Cookeville and had to come from behind late to win. T hey just need to win when it matters.

I went to the Bradley/McMinn game last night in Cleveland. I think the Bradley girls won by 18 points, but I must admit I was surprised at how sloppy the Bearettes played at times. I thought they looked better last year, so they must have graduated some key players (guards and wings). They're still the best team in the District, but that really isn't saying much. Perhaps they just had a bad night, which happens occasionally, but from last night's game it looks like they're not as strong as last year.

I went to the Bradley/McMinn game last night in Cleveland. I think the Bradley girls won by 18 points, but I must admit I was surprised at how sloppy the Bearettes played at times. I thought they looked better last year, so they must have graduated some key players (guards and wings). They're still the best team in the District, but that really isn't saying much. Perhaps they just had a bad night, which happens occasionally, but from last night's game it looks like they're not as strong as last year.

Well they graduated 5 off last years team.

And yes, they did look pretty sloppy at times. Passes not crisp and such. Gotta clean it up. I did not think they played nearly as well as they should, or have in a few games. But McMinn's pressure defense was as tight as I have seen this year, so that is a credit to them.

Edited by alt1958

Well they graduated 5 off last years team.

And yes, they did look pretty sloppy at times. Passes not crisp and such. Gotta clean it up. I did not think they played nearly as well as they should, or have in a few games. But McMinn's pressure defense was as tight as I have seen this year, so that is a credit to them.

McMinn is undoubtedly better, but once again our ladies tired in the 4th quarter from playing man-to-man all game long. McMinn's bench isn't deep at all, so I wish Coach McPhail would switch to various zones.....but that's another story.

Once Bradley gets things cleaned up they can be a state contender.

Bradley is playing in a tournament in Spartanburg, SC and won the first game 62-42 over Fayette County, Georgia; second game is tonight at 7 PM.

Cleveland is in the Best of Preps Tournament in Chattanooga, defeating Silverdale Acadamay 56-40.

Current Rankings for District 5AAA

Bradley, 4-0

Cleveland, 3-1

Rhea Co, 3-1

McMinn Co, 3-2

Walker Valley, 2-2

Soddy Daisy, 0-4

Ooltewah, 0-5

Note: McMinn lost to Bradley and Cleveland but won over Rhea County; Rhea gets the 3rd place because of the one loss versis two losses for McMinn. Realistically, counting head to head play McMinn probably is 3rd and Rhea County 4th. But it will sort itself out.

Edited by alt1958

Bradley is playing in a tournament in Spartanburg, SC and won the first game 62-42 over Fayette County, Georgia; second game is tonight at 7 PM.

Cleveland is in the Best of Preps Tournament in Chattanooga, defeating Silverdale Acadamay 56-40.

Current Rankings for District 5AAA

Bradley, 4-0

Cleveland, 3-1

Rhea Co, 3-1

McMinn Co, 3-2

Walker Valley, 2-2

Soddy Daisy, 0-4

Ooltewah, 0-5

Note: McMinn lost to Bradley and Cleveland but won over Rhea County; Rhea gets the 3rd place because of the one loss versis two losses for McMinn. Realistically, counting head to head play McMinn probably is 3rd and Rhea County 4th. But it will sort itself out.

McMinn is in the Sonic Shootout in Sparta. The Lady Cherokees beat a good Clarkrange team yesterday 60-54, and lost to an undefeated Grainger Co. team today 55-41. Both Clarkrange and Grainger are smaller schools than McMinn, however.

Agree with your assessment of how 5AAA is in reality. If McMinn doesn't beat Cleveland next time, then Cleveland has 2nd place sewn up (even if the Lady Raiders lost a couple District games they shouldn't and McMinn doesn't). Bradley will beat both Cleveland and McMinn when they play again, so the next Cleveland/McMinn game is crucial for both teams.

You are right about having to travel from Region 3-AAA to play a sub-state game on the road versus Region 4-AAA. There are still two unbeaten teams in Blackman and Riverdale and neither will be beatable on their home floor. Question---when was the last time that a girls team from Region 3-AAA won a sub-state game on the road. I researched as far back as I can and cannot find any time that a Region 3-AAA girls team won this game on the road. Help me out if you can and let me know which (if any) team won, what year and who they beat.

I don't know that they ever have. I remember when they used to play shellbyvilles region that included white county. Before that I think our region played a Knoxville area team but that was years ago. If it happened I would guess it would of been perhaps a Brainerd team with Venus Lacey back in the 80s or possibly a Cleveland team with Debbie Davis DeniseDavis Devada Graham Angie Thompson around 81 or 82

Edited by anotherback

Sad part is that somebody is gonna make it to substate only to travel to the toughest region in the state with little chance of winning. But I've seen really good teams have a bad shooting nite so ill be pulling for whoever gets that far.

The Lady Cherokees (who had a losing season record) got hot in the District and Region tournaments two seasons back and had to play on the road at Riverdale as the Region 3AAA runnerup. It was 50-4 at halftime. :o

Edited by blitzinbuc