District 5-AAA

alt1958

You are right about having to travel from Region 3-AAA to play a sub-state game on the road versus Region 4-AAA. There are still two unbeaten teams in Blackman and Riverdale and neither will be beatable on their home floor. Question---when was the last time that a girls team from Region 3-AAA won a sub-state game on the road. I researched as far back as I can and cannot find any time that a Region 3-AAA girls team won this game on the road. Help me out if you can and let me know which (if any) team won, what year and who they beat.

I don't think there have been many times our Region 3AAA Champion has won a substate game at home against the Region 4AAA runnerup. Does anyone have the data? Did Walker Valley do it a few years ago when Tucker coached them?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there have been many times our Region 3AAA Champion has won a substate game at home against the Region 4AAA runnerup. Does anyone have the data? Did Walker Valley do it a few years ago when Tucker coached them?

Cleveland did it numerous times, we were basically unbeatable at home:

2008: beat Lebanon 60-25

2007: beat Riverdale 54-47

2006: beat Riverdale 77-61

2005: beat Shelbyville 84-69

Cleveland's 2008 team had a realistic shot at winning state that year :(..that year was amazing.

Walker Valley:

2010: beat Blackman 42-38

Edited by clevelandblueraiderfan

Cleveland did it numerous times, we were basically unbeatable at home:

2008: beat Lebanon 60-25

2007: beat Riverdale 54-47

2006: beat Riverdale 77-61

2005: beat Shelbyville 84-69

Cleveland's 2008 team had a realistic shot at winning state that year :(..that year was amazing.

Walker Valley:

2010: beat Blackman 42-38

Thanks for the info.....I don't know how I overlooked the success of the Rachel Powell-coached teams at Cleveland since I was at a couple of those substate victories for the Lady Raiders.

I talked to Rachel several weeks ago (she coaches a team of 6-7 year olds in the Decatur league), but didn't get to ask her about coaching in high school again. I thought she was just taking a year off from coaching Cleveland when she had another baby....but that was about 3 years ago. Do you know why she didn't go back? Since her brother coaches at Meigs (their alma-mater) I know she won't be going back there, and if she's not returning to Cleveland I'd love to see her at McMinn County.

Thanks for the info.....I don't know how I overlooked the success of the Rachel Powell-coached teams at Cleveland since I was at a couple of those substate victories for the Lady Raiders.

I talked to Rachel several weeks ago (she coaches a team of 6-7 year olds in the Decatur league), but didn't get to ask her about coaching in high school again. I thought she was just taking a year off from coaching Cleveland when she had another baby....but that was about 3 years ago. Do you know why she didn't go back? Since her brother coaches at Meigs (their alma-mater) I know she won't be going back there, and if she's not returning to Cleveland I'd love to see her at McMinn County.

From what I know, she is still teaching at Cleveland...as far as coaching again, I have no idea.

McMinn Co:

2003: beat Riverdale 60-57

McMinn was really good in '03, the girl who played post for them(can't remember her name) was a monster in the paint.

Edited by clevelandblueraiderfan

The Bearettes lost to Millbrook, NC 53-46 in the finals of the Upward Classic tourney. I understand that Millbrook has several starters that have signed D-I scholarships so they must have been pretty talented.

Went 2-1 in the tournament beating a Georga 4A Champion Fayette County, 62-42; Dorman (South Carolina 4A runner) up, 53-46; and losing the game to Millbrook (a NC 4A State Champion) 45-38. Not a bad tournament for them, and some really good competition, which they needed.

The Bearettes last sub-state win was at home in 1995 over White County. They lost to Shelbyville in the state finals that season. 53-43.

Amy Geren and Paige Redman were on that team, and Amy won the MVP award while on the losing team for her play. Unusual for that to happen. When her name was called the Shelbyville crowd gave her a standing ovation.

Amy Geren and Paige Redman were on that team, and Amy won the MVP award while on the losing team for her play. Unusual for that to happen. When her name was called the Shelbyville crowd gave her a standing ovation.

She also won the MVP of the Volleyball state which they won. Twice. Won the 3 point shoot out at the Men's championship finals in college. Won the girls title then beat the guy who won the boys. Could play any position on the floor.

Went 2-1 in the tournament beating a Georga 4A Champion Fayette County, 62-42; Dorman (South Carolina 4A runner) up, 53-46; and losing the game to Millbrook (a NC 4A State Champion) 45-38. Not a bad tournament for them, and some really good competition, which they needed.

Good teams like Bradley do need to play stiff competition from time to time. They don't really have any competition in the District (or Region), and it makes them lose focus and play sloppy, like they did against McMinn a couple weeks ago. From what you posted, it looks like this Christmas Tournament was timely for them to refocus as they polish their skills.

Well the Bearettes go back to winning by defeating White County Saturday night. Solid game, but nothing flashy or spectacular. Just another win. But the second win against what may be the strongest competition in the Region 3 to the Bearettes. Problem is, now, do they get complacent and try to mail it in?

Edited by alt1958