REDSMAN

My prediction:

MJ too many returning sr's and pitching

Beech/Wilson Central

Gallatin/Station Camp

H'ville

Lebanon

Portland

LOL everyone always picks us last in every sport, but oh well........I actually think the district will be a little more open this year.

MJ has a new coach, and though he did well at DA, this is 5A (9AAA), but, they do have a ton of players

WC-you just never know what will come out of WC, in any sport, but I do see them on a upward trend

Gallatin-the last I, heard they didn't fair very well against Springfield in a scrimmage the other day and have a Sophomore and a Freshmen in their starting 4 rotation and not much offense as well. My alma mater and just hard not to pull for those kids and their parents.

Station Camp- lost quite a bit last year and you just never know how a team will rebound from it. But I do know some of the players there and they do have talent.

Hendersonville- is in total rebuild mode, but have a solid coach that has programs going down to it seems like 8-10 year old divisions, so they are setting up the program right.

Lebanon-don't see much change here from previous years, you just never know which team will show up.

Beech- solid program in the past, under a new head coach this year, but solid assistants. So it will be interesting to see how the team responds to a new skipper. So far like what was posted earlier, they have struggled in the early scrimmages, no run production and I think less than 10 hits in 4 games and less than 5 runs. That is rough on the pitching staff at any level, and on the defense.

Portland-should be an interesting year, our biggest Senior class in the last 4-5 years with 5 this year. Practices so far have been upbeat with lots of enthusiasm, which is also different in years past, and the quality of ball player has improved. With more and more players doing travel ball each year I hope this trend continues. I never realized till we played travel ball, how much better the competition, pressure, situations etc improved the player. I encourage all parents now to do the local thing, and do travel as well, specially if they plan on playing high school. I'm looking forward to this season, there are players on just about every Sumner County team I know or plays travel ball on my sons team. Kind of neat to see these kids grow from young 8 yr old players to men in high school. I wish everyone luck and pray for a safe season for all our players....just wish the rain would stop.

So, like I said, with all the intangibles out there, for all the teams, I think the teams in the district may be closer to one another than in times past. Ever since going to bbcor I don't even factor in the long ball, perennial Cumberland, the last I looked have played 13 games are 8-4-1 have hit no homeruns, but have 105 hits and out scored their opponents 61-45. Pretty much these days it lays on pitching and playing the game. Get them on, get them over, and get them in. Your really not playing the opposing team, your playing the game in the game, doesn't matter who they are. Each team throws, hits, catches and runs. After all, baseball is a game that you must handle the failures better than the achievements. With honor and respect. Good luck to everyone, whoop whoop.

LOL everyone always picks us last in every sport, but oh well........I actually think the district will be a little more open this year.

MJ has a new coach, and though he did well at DA, this is 5A (9AAA), but, they do have a ton of players

WC-you just never know what will come out of WC, in any sport, but I do see them on a upward trend

Gallatin-the last I, heard they didn't fair very well against Springfield in a scrimmage the other day and have a Sophomore and a Freshmen in their starting 4 rotation and not much offense as well. My alma mater and just hard not to pull for those kids and their parents.

Station Camp- lost quite a bit last year and you just never know how a team will rebound from it. But I do know some of the players there and they do have talent.

Hendersonville- is in total rebuild mode, but have a solid coach that has programs going down to it seems like 8-10 year old divisions, so they are setting up the program right.

Lebanon-don't see much change here from previous years, you just never know which team will show up.

Beech- solid program in the past, under a new head coach this year, but solid assistants. So it will be interesting to see how the team responds to a new skipper. So far like what was posted earlier, they have struggled in the early scrimmages, no run production and I think less than 10 hits in 4 games and less than 5 runs. That is rough on the pitching staff at any level, and on the defense.

Portland-should be an interesting year, our biggest Senior class in the last 4-5 years with 5 this year. Practices so far have been upbeat with lots of enthusiasm, which is also different in years past, and the quality of ball player has improved. With more and more players doing travel ball each year I hope this trend continues. I never realized till we played travel ball, how much better the competition, pressure, situations etc improved the player. I encourage all parents now to do the local thing, and do travel as well, specially if they plan on playing high school. I'm looking forward to this season, there are players on just about every Sumner County team I know or plays travel ball on my sons team. Kind of neat to see these kids grow from young 8 yr old players to men in high school. I wish everyone luck and pray for a safe season for all our players....just wish the rain would stop.

So, like I said, with all the intangibles out there, for all the teams, I think the teams in the district may be closer to one another than in times past. Ever since going to bbcor I don't even factor in the long ball, perennial Cumberland, the last I looked have played 13 games are 8-4-1 have hit no homeruns, but have 105 hits and out scored their opponents 61-45. Pretty much these days it lays on pitching and playing the game. Get them on, get them over, and get them in. Your really not playing the opposing team, your playing the game in the game, doesn't matter who they are. Each team throws, hits, catches and runs. After all, baseball is a game that you must handle the failures better than the achievements. With honor and respect. Good luck to everyone, whoop whoop.

I like your post,it makes sense, except for the MJ part. Yes I support MJ but honestly they have too much talent this year for the rest of the district.

Our first 4 pitchers..... three sr's from 6'3 to 6'5 with tons of exp. and a jr ranked 5th in the state. Two of these pitchers, pitched in the state tourney last year. two top catchers, one ranked 3rd among catchers and the infield is returning with a first team all district SS. Not to mention the outfiled with 2 sr's and a jr.

It does not really matter that they have a new coach, its the program... I wish Portland well, I really feel you should not be in this district , these schools are much bigger as far as enrollment goes. I and was going on previous years, I have not seen this years team.

Beech has a few pitchers, maybe WC beats some teams , like it or not MJ has the talent again this year.....

I totally understand your post, and you reiterated my point. Not taking a single thing your new coach has done at DA. Great coach and every player that I know that played under him, thought the world of him at DA and should do yall proud, Met him once and he seems like a super nice guy, wishing him all the luck as well. As you mentioned "the program", which was built by your former coach, (a very good one and a alum of my alma mater). Set the bar very high, its always a transition period for "the new guy" no matter the circumstance. Luckily for MJ, the talent is still there which should help during the transition. That is the only point I was trying to make.........and you are correct, and I appreciate the well wishes, it is difficult for Portland in this district. We, I believe, are the smallest school in the entire district, which in football terms is mostly all 6A now except for us, Gallatin and Beech. We only have 24 players on the roster as you can see it here on coacht, and only 5 Seniors. No matter how you slice it, that is tough. But there is no dropping down a class now, so no sense crying over spilled milk. It is what it is, and yall are for sure the clear favorites on paper for making it back to state again this year. I myself love it when someone from your district makes it to state, just as Beech did in football, I was rooting for them all the way. I am just looking forward to getting the season underway and all this rain to stop, Im ready for my bucket, scorebook and camera lol. ............Redsman how yall looking so far, and good luck to yall as well. Whoop whoop.

Don't think the coach at MJ matters that much. They have the studs no matter what, but need to get it done in the postseason. Purvis had too many "outside distractions" himself. That's why he isn't coaching.

I'm glad Mel Brown could do his good buddy Ronnie Carter a favor and hire his son for the gig. Must be good to know people in high places.

Don't think the coach at MJ matters that much. They have the studs no matter what, but need to get it done in the postseason. Purvis had too many "outside distractions" himself. That's why he isn't coaching.

I'm glad Mel Brown could do his good buddy Ronnie Carter a favor and hire his son for the gig. Must be good to know people in high places.

Sure seems like the coach matters at the programs, instead of cutting the players, it always seems the coach gets fired.....Thats why I have a feel for any coach that takes a job of coaching at the high school level. It has to be an act of insanity to put your career on the whims and thinkings of 14-18 yr old males. The players seem to get all the credit for success, and the coaches get the blame for failures. Private sector is one thing, IF they can recruit. But, the poor public school system coach just gets what ever shows up at tryouts and has to take them or leave them. I feel for them all, lol. Insanity at its finest. Lord help them if they get a lot of parents that think their own little Johnny is a super star, and complain when they dont get playing time, guess thats where the saying "love is blind" came from. Either that or Im just gettiing cynical in my old age of 46, lol.

In that situation, it wasn't parents......it was his own actions.

In public schools, they won't cut all the players. They keep those freshmen and non-playing sophomores around with hopes and dreams so they can fundraise and be "committed to the program".

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, cutting players, fundraisers etc.....

Being VERY close to the program, I can tell you that Coach Purvis built a very elite program. That takes parents, booster club, school administration and players. we have a very good JV program and while we do carry 44 players, all get a chance to contribute.

You don't win as much as MJ has in the past 15 years by accident. I read in one post that the new coach does not have exp. with an AAA team. From what I have seen he will do fine.

Edited by FightinIllini