Illegal Slam? You make the Call.

mat73557

mat73557 IMO: Illegal (see brooksbrothers comments to validate).

jomibaking: The head and feet going high is not a reason to call it illegal either. I have seen many legal returns to the mat when a high lift was involved but the controlling wrestler used control in returning the defensive wrestler to the mat safely. I have seen many as well when the defensive wrestler started flailing in the middle of the return and as a result caused the offensive wrestler to lose control because of it. Therefore no illegal slam because the defensive wrestler caused the control loss. See brooksbrothers comments on my reasoning for it being illegal (that much we do agree on).

I did not state that this is why it would have been illegal. I merely stated that such a landing is prone to injury more often than other landings. I could have specified more clearly.

As to whether a wrestler's experience level should come into play is hard to determine because referees may not have the same knowledge of the wrestlers that we as coaches/parents do.

I also hate seeing a kid win a match because of this kind of call, but sometimes it happens.

Brooksbrothers your comment "the two wrestlers were not equiventally matched therefore you call it illegal" is the worst quote I have ever heard on here. Why would that have any thing to do with it. It seems the wrestler was taken down landing on his upper body but was holding his knee. Then walked (what looked like without pain) off the mat. Sometimes those type thing can win or loose a match, I wonder if the injured wrestlers team won the match.

I think the question that is asked more often than not by the referees is that is the forceful return needed? If this lift and return was in the state finals when both wrestlers are equally matched then I see no problem with it, but as stated in the video the two wrestlers were not equiventally matched therefore I call it illegal.

Then obviously you have never participated in the sport of wrestling or you just simply have poor sportsmanship. Slamming someone who is incapable of putting up a fight is simply poor sportsmanship and classless. Not saying that was the case for this video I'm just saying you don't see state champs slamming scrubs to look "cool"

Legal or not, the wrestler better be really injured if he chooses to not compete. If not, take your penalty point and keep going.....

I'm not sure if he was really hurt, but I know he didn't wrestle in his teams last two matches. They almost missed out on finals because they lost 4 kids to injuries.

No. It was not illegal. Unfortunately wrestler B's arm was trapped in the lock so it made it appear a bit worse. Wrestler A lifted the wrestler from behind and brought him back to the mat WITHOUT unnecessary force. In fact, in my opinion he brought him back somewhat "softer" than he had to. It was a very well executed mat return. Also notice wrestler A's right knee actually hits the mat BEFORE wrestle B hits. This is important because it's further proof that he wasn't "pile driving" the kid into the mat. It's wrestling people, not tiddly winks. The move was executed as taught by any experienced coach. Shame on the referee for calling it illegal. He obviously has very limited wrestling experience.

Edited by Newestguy