Illegal Slam? You make the Call.

mat73557

I call legal, i saw no intent to hurt him from the top man, yes the arm was trap, but it was a well executed lift and he returned him flat, not on his trapped shoulder. Also the top man's knee did touch first. looks controlled and legal to me

I must be seeing something different. I don't see his knee hit the mat until the kid's head bounces off the mat.

There are much more effective ways of bringing a wrestler back to the mat other than lifting your opponent in the air. I'm sorry, but the minute you lift your man in the air... you take the risk of a subjective call of a referee.

• Upvote 1

"There are much more effective ways of bringing a wrestler back to the mat other than lifting your opponent in the air."

No there aren't. Unless you want to to significantly increase your chances of getting reversed.

Lifting the man in the air is part of the sport. It's one reason a mat is used. The minute you step on a mat you risk the subjective call of the referee. Do you teach your kids to make sure his opponents feet stay on the mat? Interesting strategy.

I just noticed that the kid was holding his knee (or his calf hard to tell) during the injury timeout. Not his shoulder or head.

Edited by Newestguy

It was borderline and have seen many worse slams called and some not this bad called. I think the sound of his feet hitting the mat and the "oh's" from the crowd probably influenced the call. It was a high amplitude lift but he didnt pile drive him as it first appeared like he was going to. Unfortunately referee's have to make a call right at that moment and dont have time to watch replays. If you are going to lift a guy you better make sure you bring him down safely. Especially with the emphasis on refs watching for the trapped arm now. I did think it odd that his knee was hurt though but you never know I guess.

"There are much more effective ways of bringing a wrestler back to the mat other than lifting your opponent in the air."

No there aren't. Unless you want to to significantly increase your chances of getting reversed.

Lifting the man in the air is part of the sport. It's one reason a mat is used. The minute you step on a mat you risk the subjective call of the referee. Do you teach your kids to make sure his opponents feet stay on the mat? Interesting strategy.

I just noticed that the kid was holding his knee (or his calf hard to tell) during the injury timeout. Not his shoulder or head.

Hey NEWBEE, Have you ever reffed before? Probably not.... did you see the kids head bounce off the mat? Im sure you did......The ref made a good call, It was illegal all day and everyday. Maybe the kid should have finished the match, but thats not our call, its the defensive wrestlers... as the rule book states. Let me ask you a question.... If every kid at that tournament gets slammed like that every match, every period, all day long, then thats thousands of times a day right, on that particular slam?.................. if thats legal every time, right, as you see it? Cause if you say yes, then over the course of the day, theres gonna be lots of concussions, and lots of kids getting carried out of there on stretchers......Try good judgement NEWBEE,... thats what good refs have to do :) Edited by TNKO2
  • Upvote 1

His knee hit first. He didn't bring him down with excessive force. It was a basic mat return executed just as he was coached. I've seen literally thousands of the exact same move from middle school, high school and college. Out of the thousands (not exaggerating) that may be the second one I've seen called a slam.

Just because you wear stripes doesn't mean you know what you're doing. Perhaps you played soccer and now referee wrestling?

This is a perfectly legal slam, and truth be told, for an 8th grader, rather impressive form. The fact that the kid steps to the side and squares his hips before he lifts is something that should get drilled over and over for proper lifting technique. You can't help that the 2nd kid has his arm trapped inside. That's almost like saying the lifting wrestler should move the lifted wrestler's arm out of the way in order to give him a fair chance of defense, and that's just foolish. As someone pointed out earlier, that's why they wrestle on the cushioned mat.

Also, the comments being made about the skill level of the match is absurd. If that was the case in wrestling you'd be split up by weight class and grade for all competitions. Also, there is no way for a referee to have knowledge of each kids skill level and use that in judgement of calls. Each person is equal when they toe the line, that is what makes wrestling.......wrestling.

His knee hit first. He didn't bring him down with excessive force. It was a basic mat return executed just as he was coached. I've seen literally thousands of the exact same move from middle school, high school and college. Out of the thousands (not exaggerating) that may be the second one I've seen called a slam.

Just because you wear stripes doesn't mean you know what you're doing. Perhaps you played soccer and now referee wrestling?

Come on out, the stripes are waiting for you..... make a difference..... be a game changer....or better yet, just stay on the sidelines, and criticize from a distance, as usual, like a regular Average Joe..... Edited by TNKO2