Midseason report for Class A

archangel

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Sand Mt wouldn't compare to the top A and AA teams in Tennessee. They barely got past Chattanooga Tyner which is down this year. Still, a win is a win, especially when the referees let it get out of control-a recurring theme in the tournament, boys and girls games both.

I saw North Sand play Moore and also against Tyner. They were worn out by Moore with the 2 overtime game late Friday. That was a great game and yes they could play with the good a-aa teams here, but didn't have the depth Moore had. They were much better than Tyner but looked gassed after Friday night. Also Raby for Moore County is one of the best players i have seen all year.

Edited by myteamsonthefloor

I saw North Sand play Moore and also against Tyner. They were worn out by Moore with the 2 overtime game late Friday. That was a great game and yes they could play with the good a-aa teams here, but didn't have the depth Moore had. They were much better than Tyner but looked gassed after Friday night. Also Raby for Moore County is one of the best players i have seen all year.

North Sand Mt should have beaten Tyner worse, fatigued or not, if they could be compared to the top A and AA teams in Tennessee. The team from here dressed 7 for one reason or another and still beat Tyner fairly handily. Three of those played every minute, 2 were getting their first starts as two regular starters were out, and 3 of 7 are new to the team, haven't played since 8th grade. They weren't able to keep up with Moore County especially after halftime with basically the same group available still on Saturday.

I would say if things were called closer Moore would have a big advantage of NSM. Too many officials I saw throughout the week looked as if they couldn't wait to get their checks and leave. This included games where I wasn't pulling for either team, boys and girls games both.

Edited by Indian

Was Clay County's run last year a fluke? Could all 10 of these win State or will it be a two pony race, UC - JC? That is if they dont meet before the finals?

No fluke. That was Coach Simms first gold ball, after five or six Silvers. J. Sims, J. Brown and L.Rogers have more silver and gold in their trophy cases than anywhere in the state. Don't have to drive very far to see a good match-up.

A team that is young and starting to make noise is Frank Hughes (aka Clifton). Not sure they are worthy of a ranking but they have pulled off some really nice wins just before Christmas.....if they keep maturing they will be a hard out come districts and regions.

I was surprised to see Hughes beat Loretto. Now if Hughes can beat Summertown on Tuesday or make it a very close game, that would make them a legitimate contender for at least a substate game if not more.

A team that is young and starting to make noise is Frank Hughes (aka Clifton). Not sure they are worthy of a ranking but they have pulled off some really nice wins just before Christmas.....if they keep maturing they will be a hard out come districts and regions.

Who is the coach(remember the face,not the name) at FHHS?There was a VERY noticable difference in the focus and intensity of those young ladies that I've ever seen from a Clifton team before,and it compelled me to tell him after the Scotts Hill game that I thought in a short while he'd have them on everyone's radar.I don't think they're quite ready (yet) to challenge the top tier in 1A,but you can remove the "cupcake" label for sure. Edited by tradertwo

I'll go with:

1) Union City

2) Summertown

3) Clarkrange

4) Jackson County

5) Hampton

6) Houston County

7) Moore County

8) Middleton

9) Clay County

Class A girls is always great as there are competitive teams across the state...

UC/JC are significantly better than the rest of 1A right now.C'range probably next in line,but your list looks good except for maybe Middleton too high.15A is not as good as usual across the board this season...I doubt whomever makes sub-state beats Greenfield,Gleason,Huntingdon...ect,and beating Union City would be Tyson/Douglass upset.