Callie Hackett 8AA MVP

brutal

I've had to watch Callie play since she was in the fourth grade. There hasn't been a harder working kid in smith county sports history in my opinion. She does it in every sport she plays and does even better in the classroom. Callie can lead any team. I expect several colleges to be calling her up by the end of her high school career.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think it's a little early to be picking the MVP? How can anyone , regardless of how well they've been playing (unless they've been totally dominating district play) be the MVP from a probably forth place district team? If Smith Co. moves up in the district standings she should be considered. If they stay in 4th place. NO WAY!

I thought MVP was most valuable player, not most valuable team winning percentage. Callie means more to her team than any other player in the district. MVP should not be based ona team accomplishment. While I agree that a good players turns teams into contenders but the facts are that Callie is the best PLAYER in the district whether she plays on the best team or not.

I thought MVP was most valuable player, not most valuable team winning percentage. Callie means more to her team than any other player in the district. MVP should not be based ona team accomplishment. While I agree that a good players turns teams into contenders but the facts are that Callie is the best PLAYER in the district whether she plays on the best team or not.

I agree. I think in 7a boys last year, the Castle kid from Monterey won MVP on the last place team. He just had that good of a year.

You are exactly correct. This award should go to the person who is valuable to their team. Take Callie Hackett out of the lineup for SC and they would be at the bottom of the district with Dekalb. I also think this award shouldn't be based on only offense but both offense AND defense. Hackett is exceptional at both and she gives 110% to her team every time she steps on the floor. She gets my vote.

As a CM fan, I think both players (Abby Sissom/Callie Hackett) would be very deserving of the 8AA MVP. With that being said, I have seen both play and if you compare aspects of the game side-by-side IMO Sissom is clearly the better player and would be my choice. They both can get to the paint anytime they want too against single defenders, perhaps Hackett is the better pure ball handler but that edge wouldn’t be by much if any, I say even there. Both are good defenders, probably Hackett is the better “on the ball†but when you factor in length (creating steals) and defensive rebounding again I think the edge goes to Sissom. I think that Sissom sees the floor and gets the ball to her teammates for easy buckets better, giving her the edge for playmaking/assists (when I’ve seen Hackett when she drives she’s going to try to score). And if you consider Sissom’s ability to create and knock down her own shot is the one area Hackett’s game doesn’t compare to Sissom (I would expect that part of her game to be there in the future but not yet). I’m sure both are excellent role models and well thought of in there communities. Not saying that Hackett is not a great player and easily the 2nd best player in 8AA but just think Sissom is clearly the better player right now. As far as taking players off teams and where they would finish….I really believe that we would have beaten Cannon both times if they didn’t have Sissom and we have already beaten Smith Co. once and held Hackett in check in our 1 game against them (she may have 40 against us next time but won’t change my opinion).

As a CM fan, I think both players (Abby Sissom/Callie Hackett) would be very deserving of the 8AA MVP. With that being said, I have seen both play and if you compare aspects of the game side-by-side IMO Sissom is clearly the better player and would be my choice. They both can get to the paint anytime they want too against single defenders, perhaps Hackett is the better pure ball handler but that edge wouldn’t be by much if any, I say even there. Both are good defenders, probably Hackett is the better “on the ball†but when you factor in length (creating steals) and defensive rebounding again I think the edge goes to Sissom. I think that Sissom sees the floor and gets the ball to her teammates for easy buckets better, giving her the edge for playmaking/assists (when I’ve seen Hackett when she drives she’s going to try to score). And if you consider Sissom’s ability to create and knock down her own shot is the one area Hackett’s game doesn’t compare to Sissom (I would expect that part of her game to be there in the future but not yet). I’m sure both are excellent role models and well thought of in there communities. Not saying that Hackett is not a great player and easily the 2nd best player in 8AA but just think Sissom is clearly the better player right now. As far as taking players off teams and where they would finish….I really believe that we would have beaten Cannon both times if they didn’t have Sissom and we have already beaten Smith Co. once and held Hackett in check in our 1 game against them (she may have 40 against us next time but won’t change my opinion).

:popcorneater:

LOL! You take a good player off a mediocre team & of course that team will miss them more than a good player on a good team. So that philosophy doesn't work, nor the philosophy of the best team having mvp. I think if you looked at starting a team & had your pick of any of these girls, the one that you would start your team with should be your vote for mvp. I would start my team with sissom!

It's an individual award and not a team award. I say Co-MVP, so everyone is happy. But, I'd start with Hackett because she'll still have two more years. (No disrespect to Abby, because she can GO and I have never been one to shy away from saying she's great.)

Edited by King21