Sad day for Smith County

Antwan

You are so wrong about CAK and Alcoa. They played in Week 10 at Goddard Field and Alcoa won the final score was 31-28 Alcoa...so that made them district champs, and then CAK won the quarterfinal matchup. Go ahead and look it up I am right and rarely ever wrong!!! You obviously think you know, but you don't cause you are way wrong.

your right, let me re prse....last two years CAK has finished better than Alcoa......can be the best team in the sate over last couple yers and not even make the championship game.

Come on 26, ......" the thing that killed SC is speed" then say play 1-2 "hard nose teams". That's two different animals. SC can play hard nose ball year in and year out. But speed is like height .....you either got it, or you don't. You adjust and prepare as best you can to off set speed. Work on angles, schemes, ball control and the likes. Taking a work mule to a bunch of races won't get them ready for the Kentucky derby. I do agree you put the best 11 on the field, but maybe the coaches know the best 11, or the 11 that give them the best chance based on what they see everyday.TRUUUE

Come on 26, ......" the thing that killed SC is speed" then say play 1-2 "hard nose teams". That's two different animals. SC can play hard nose ball year in and year out. But speed is like height .....you either got it, or you don't. You adjust and prepare as best you can to off set speed. Work on angles, schemes, ball control and the likes. Taking a work mule to a bunch of races won't get them ready for the Kentucky derby. I do agree you put the best 11 on the field, but maybe the coaches know the best 11, or the 11 that give them the best chance based on what they see everyday.

I believe he was suggesting playing teams with PC speed in regular season to prepare for playoffs. That's how I read it anyway.

Edited by originalSC3

A sad day for Smith County indeed! It would be impossible to list all the things that CJM has done for the Smith County football program on this thread, Much less all the lives he has changed, for the better, throughout the Smith County school system. Countless students, teachers and other school employees as well, would gladly tell you how much he has helped everyone he has come across. But this is a football thread and coachT doesn't have enough servers to list all that!!! LMBO

It's obvious from a lot of these derogotory posters that there is more than an abundance of jealousy for what CJM has built at Smith County. The funny thing is, if CJM coached at any of their schools, opportunites he turned down regulary I might add, you'd all be singing his praises as well. Not to mention how much more successfulls all those programs would have been under his watch. But thats life folks, and jealousy breeds contempt.

CJM successes at Smith County speak for them selves. He took an average program and turned them into a contender EVERY year! A

lot of you all forget that SC was ranked #1 in 3a just a short time ago!!!!

I for one wish him only the best and thank him for what he built at SC. A foundation that will allow this next coach to spring board to levels they haven't seen before. This will be a job that attracts TOP CANDIDATES and SC will have the opportunity to pick THE VERY BEST of the bunch. And that opportunity is just another product of what was done in the last 14 years. I can promise you this, CJM isn't going to let what he built go to ruin either, he will have his say in who precedes him and that lets me know that the right man will get the job!!!!

GOOD LUCK IN 13 BIG OWLS WE ARE GONNA SHOCK THE WORLD!!!!!!!!

And like a lot of other Owls fans, I will be paying ALOT more attentions to Cookieville football as well!!!! LMBO

And just for those wondering I'd like to say that TEAM NATIONAL is THE REAL DEAL!!!! Not everybody is smart enough to understand it but those that can know it's WORTH IT!!!!!

I am a long time reader but never posted before. I am a lifelong OWL Fan, supporter and always will be. Coach Maynord has served this program well and I thank him for that. But, some of the postings I am reading I must respond to. Several of us as OWL Fans need to take off the Rose colored glasses about the state of the program. SC has been a very solid and respected program for a long time. We have won alot of regular season games. Our facilities are great and we always field a large roster and have great community support. Coach Maynord played a big role in that. But after these things, where is our Program compared to others. Maynardaise says we have been contenders since Maynard got here. When have we actually been "true contenders" in the state in 3A. Even our trip to the semis we didnt have a chance against great competition. He says we were ranked #1 too. Well, that was one season around week 7 or 8 and wound up losing in the first round of the playoffs. I repeat, 1x in 14 seasons. The last two years we have not got out of the first round of the playoffs. Our overall playoff record is 24 wins and 27 losses (3 games under .500) and we consider ourselves a "Top" Program in TN? The best of the best are over .500 in the playoffs and have state titles. We are not at that level and as a true fan and supporter I am and have been wondering if we can get to that level. Coach Maynard said in the Cookeville paper he had done all he could for our Program. I feel like he is being honest so what does that tell us? Over the past 14 years our biggest accomplishment has been beating our county rival each time. Is that all we are going to settle for? Heck, I look one county over at TC and they have several titles, a team in our region, Livingston, has a state title and our county rival, G'ville has two titles. To those who say they are not 3A well all they can do is compete with schools their size and in their classification and still win and we compete in our classification with schools our size and larger roster than all we play and we still have not reached their level. It is not going to be given to us because we are Smith County. We have to go get it! Who will be the next Head Coach, I do not know. I do know according to school board member the job was offered to Coach Rankin and to Coach Gentry, yes even after Coach took job at Cookeville. I am glad we offered these two the job. Coaches Shoulders at RBS and Loftis at Jackson County are good young coaches. Chad Watson is also a great young coach to watch for. By the way, Coach Creasy is not coming and really why would he. Some think it would be a step back and not forward. Not sure I agree with it but that argument has its merits based on where the Programs are. Coach Harville is a very good person and great coach and he is being considered according to some to talked to. Not sure he really wants it. Whoever it is we need to support, get behind and get this program to the next level.

I am a long time reader but never posted before. I am a lifelong OWL Fan, supporter and always will be. Coach Maynord has served this program well and I thank him for that. But, some of the postings I am reading I must respond to. Several of us as OWL Fans need to take off the Rose colored glasses about the state of the program. SC has been a very solid and respected program for a long time. We have won alot of regular season games. Our facilities are great and we always field a large roster and have great community support. Coach Maynord played a big role in that. But after these things, where is our Program compared to others. Maynardaise says we have been contenders since Maynard got here. When have we actually been "true contenders" in the state in 3A. Even our trip to the semis we didnt have a chance against great competition. He says we were ranked #1 too. Well, that was one season around week 7 or 8 and wound up losing in the first round of the playoffs. I repeat, 1x in 14 seasons. The last two years we have not got out of the first round of the playoffs. Our overall playoff record is 24 wins and 27 losses (3 games under .500) and we consider ourselves a "Top" Program in TN? The best of the best are over .500 in the playoffs and have state titles. We are not at that level and as a true fan and supporter I am and have been wondering if we can get to that level. Coach Maynard said in the Cookeville paper he had done all he could for our Program. I feel like he is being honest so what does that tell us? Over the past 14 years our biggest accomplishment has been beating our county rival each time. Is that all we are going to settle for? Heck, I look one county over at TC and they have several titles, a team in our region, Livingston, has a state title and our county rival, G'ville has two titles. To those who say they are not 3A well all they can do is compete with schools their size and in their classification and still win and we compete in our classification with schools our size and larger roster than all we play and we still have not reached their level. It is not going to be given to us because we are Smith County. We have to go get it! Who will be the next Head Coach, I do not know. I do know according to school board member the job was offered to Coach Rankin and to Coach Gentry, yes even after Coach took job at Cookeville. I am glad we offered these two the job. Coaches Shoulders at RBS and Loftis at Jackson County are good young coaches. Chad Watson is also a great young coach to watch for. By the way, Coach Creasy is not coming and really why would he. Some think it would be a step back and not forward. Not sure I agree with it but that argument has its merits based on where the Programs are. Coach Harville is a very good person and great coach and he is being considered according to some to talked to. Not sure he really wants it. Whoever it is we need to support, get behind and get this program to the next level.

I think youve hit the nail right on the head with everything you said.

Very well said and I agree.

What are the chances in getting gentry back here as head coach? I think hed be a good fit.

Not going to happen. Other issues involved. Great person, good coach, wish him well. This is a very important hire. The wrong one could set program back a long way. I just dont think people will be knocking the door down for this one as some might think for reasons I have already mentioned.

Good post. I hear Team National has a pool of coaches you can pull from at discounted prices. Could be an option.