Sad day for Smith County

Antwan

I am a long time reader but never posted before. I am a lifelong OWL Fan, supporter and always will be. Coach Maynord has served this program well and I thank him for that. But, some of the postings I am reading I must respond to. Several of us as OWL Fans need to take off the Rose colored glasses about the state of the program. SC has been a very solid and respected program for a long time. We have won alot of regular season games. Our facilities are great and we always field a large roster and have great community support. Coach Maynord played a big role in that. But after these things, where is our Program compared to others. Maynardaise says we have been contenders since Maynard got here. When have we actually been "true contenders" in the state in 3A. Even our trip to the semis we didnt have a chance against great competition. He says we were ranked #1 too. Well, that was one season around week 7 or 8 and wound up losing in the first round of the playoffs. I repeat, 1x in 14 seasons. The last two years we have not got out of the first round of the playoffs. Our overall playoff record is 24 wins and 27 losses (3 games under .500) and we consider ourselves a "Top" Program in TN? The best of the best are over .500 in the playoffs and have state titles. We are not at that level and as a true fan and supporter I am and have been wondering if we can get to that level. Coach Maynard said in the Cookeville paper he had done all he could for our Program. I feel like he is being honest so what does that tell us? Over the past 14 years our biggest accomplishment has been beating our county rival each time. Is that all we are going to settle for? Heck, I look one county over at TC and they have several titles, a team in our region, Livingston, has a state title and our county rival, G'ville has two titles. To those who say they are not 3A well all they can do is compete with schools their size and in their classification and still win and we compete in our classification with schools our size and larger roster than all we play and we still have not reached their level. It is not going to be given to us because we are Smith County. We have to go get it! Who will be the next Head Coach, I do not know. I do know according to school board member the job was offered to Coach Rankin and to Coach Gentry, yes even after Coach took job at Cookeville. I am glad we offered these two the job. Coaches Shoulders at RBS and Loftis at Jackson County are good young coaches. Chad Watson is also a great young coach to watch for. By the way, Coach Creasy is not coming and really why would he. Some think it would be a step back and not forward. Not sure I agree with it but that argument has its merits based on where the Programs are. Coach Harville is a very good person and great coach and he is being considered according to some to talked to. Not sure he really wants it. Whoever it is we need to support, get behind and get this program to the next level.

I agree with just about everything you say. But in 2004, we really were very good. Fulton coaches have told me they knew we would be the best team they faced. Nobody stopped their running game that year like we did in the first three quarters. I mean they had negative rushing yards almost up till halftime. After we dropped the TD pass in the third quarter and they came out and scored on a couple of bombs, we had to try and take some chances to try to win the game. The chances did not work out and that made the score look worse than it actually was. They were absolutely loaded with speed and talent. I will argue if we exchange one of our corners with theirs, we very well win. We would have beat Greenbrier by 2 TD's IMO. Other than that, the 10-0 team had the next best shot. Another thing I would like to comment about is the rings. The two Gville teams that won state (and the one that lost in 83) were loaded with talent. Last years team had the most talent in 1A, handsdown. They had as much as anyone two years ago in 1A also. Trousdale is extremely talented also year in/year out. I would say they are probably around top 5 in talent and speed in 2A most years. Some of their championship teams had the most talent in their respected class. They are also well coached. Smith County has never had a top 10, much less a top 5 team in raw talent and speed of their respected class. With that I think Coach Maynord did an excellent job here. I like your post and hope you continue on the "T".

Edited by originalSC3

Very good post and I agree.

I agree with just about everything you say. But in 2004, we really were very good. Fulton coaches have told me they knew we would be the best team they faced. Nobody stopped their running game that year like we did in the first three quarters. I mean they had negative rushing yards almost up till halftime. After we dropped the TD pass in the third quarter and they came out and scored on a couple of bombs, we had to try and take some chances to try to win the game. The chances did not work out and that made the score look worse than it actually was. They were absolutely loaded with speed and talent. I will argue if we exchange one of our corners with theirs, we very well win. We would have beat Greenbrier by 2 TD's IMO. Other than that, the 10-0 team had the next best shot. Another thing I would like to comment about is the rings. The two Gville teams that won state (and the one that lost in 83) were loaded with talent. Last years team had the most talent in 1A, handsdown. They had as much as anyone two years ago in 1A also. Trousdale is extremely talented also year in/year out. I would say they are probably around top 5 in talent and speed in 2A most years. Some of their championship teams had the most talent in their respected class. They are also well coached. Smith County has never had a top 10, much less a top 5 team in raw talent and speed of their respected class. With that I think Coach Maynord did an excellent job here. I like your post and hope you continue on the "T".

Guest Termite

I am a long time reader but never posted before. I am a lifelong OWL Fan, supporter and always will be. Coach Maynord has served this program well and I thank him for that. But, some of the postings I am reading I must respond to. Several of us as OWL Fans need to take off the Rose colored glasses about the state of the program. SC has been a very solid and respected program for a long time. We have won alot of regular season games. Our facilities are great and we always field a large roster and have great community support. Coach Maynord played a big role in that. But after these things, where is our Program compared to others. Maynardaise says we have been contenders since Maynard got here. When have we actually been "true contenders" in the state in 3A. Even our trip to the semis we didnt have a chance against great competition. He says we were ranked #1 too. Well, that was one season around week 7 or 8 and wound up losing in the first round of the playoffs. I repeat, 1x in 14 seasons. The last two years we have not got out of the first round of the playoffs. Our overall playoff record is 24 wins and 27 losses (3 games under .500) and we consider ourselves a "Top" Program in TN? The best of the best are over .500 in the playoffs and have state titles. We are not at that level and as a true fan and supporter I am and have been wondering if we can get to that level. Coach Maynard said in the Cookeville paper he had done all he could for our Program. I feel like he is being honest so what does that tell us? Over the past 14 years our biggest accomplishment has been beating our county rival each time. Is that all we are going to settle for? Heck, I look one county over at TC and they have several titles, a team in our region, Livingston, has a state title and our county rival, G'ville has two titles. To those who say they are not 3A well all they can do is compete with schools their size and in their classification and still win and we compete in our classification with schools our size and larger roster than all we play and we still have not reached their level. It is not going to be given to us because we are Smith County. We have to go get it! Who will be the next Head Coach, I do not know. I do know according to school board member the job was offered to Coach Rankin and to Coach Gentry, yes even after Coach took job at Cookeville. I am glad we offered these two the job. Coaches Shoulders at RBS and Loftis at Jackson County are good young coaches. Chad Watson is also a great young coach to watch for. By the way, Coach Creasy is not coming and really why would he. Some think it would be a step back and not forward. Not sure I agree with it but that argument has its merits based on where the Programs are. Coach Harville is a very good person and great coach and he is being considered according to some to talked to. Not sure he really wants it. Whoever it is we need to support, get behind and get this program to the next level.

GREAT POST. You should have jumped in sooner. I agree with must everything you say, but true to my nature, I've gotta play devil's advocate. Just for argument's sake. Let's start with "true contenders". SC has been in the playoffs for 14 years under Maynord. I don't know about "true contenders" but you can't be any kind of contender setting at home. Next, our trip to the semis. "We didn't stand a chance". Well, I look at it like we stood a better chance than all but 2. Next, Ranked #1. SC didn't vote themselves #1. Getting beat in the first round 2 years in a row. Yelp. Can't say ANYTHING about that. Next. 24 wins and 27 losses in the playoffs. Best as I can tell, that's 51 playoff games. That's a lot of playoff games. Satisfied with the number of losses? Nope, but better than many, many programs. Next....". Beating G=ville 14 years in a row is "AN" accomplishment. SC has beat many good teams and good programs, and you can count G-ville and LA in their championship years. Beating G-ville 14 years in a row is an accomplishment, not the biggest in my eyes anyway. The next coach needs to be able to get the most out of the kids they have. Shoulders and Loftis seems to be able to do that as head coaches with the talent at RBS and JC. I think, Dickerson, Harville and others can do that given the chance. Who else is interested? Well, we'll probably never know for sure. Snowy said Dobbs. I've heard Goolsby,....who knows. gbowl43.........again great post, I just couldn't resist.

Guest Termite

has jason dobbs thrown his hat in the ring?

you should post more often, bgowl43.

I'm probably about to show my ignorance.....again .lol. Tell me about Dobbs snowy.

I'm probably about to show my ignorance.....again .lol. Tell me about Dobbs snowy.

Hey T Mite - I have been waiting for Snowey to answer the same question you asked. You know, Snowey is surrounded by Smith County every way he turns, he just might takin a liking to Smith County one of these days!!!!